Fortress Pulled From Shadesmar

Child of Hodor

TL;DR Dalinar sees an all-Obsidian fortress in the purelake during a vision, one that no one knows about now. The ground in Shadesmar look Obsidian. In OB Shallan "pulls" a wall from the physical realm into the cognitive realm. Could this fortress be the reverse? It was pulled from Shadesmar and it's gone now because it transitioned back.

Dalinar has a Vision where he sees a large fortress made out of what looks like obisidan. He says it must no longer exist otherwise it would be famous. 

"Jet-black stone. Obisidian? ... It looks like it's created entirely from Obisidian." WoR Ch. 4

Later in WoR Shallan escapes the ship, by slipping partially into shadesmar.

"The ground beneath her reflected light. Obsidian?" WoR Ch. 7

In OB Adolin observes the ground in Shadesmar as Obsidian-like

"Slowly they approached the strip of land, which turned out to be made of a deep, glassy black stone. Kind of like obsidian." OB CH. 89 Damnation

During the fight with the Fused in Shadesmar, Shallan summons a wall from the physical realm into Shadesmar to block a Fused. 

"Shallan felt something. ... just beyond her mental reach. On the other side, and if she could just tug on it, feed it ... A wall appeared in front of her. Shallan gasped. A sickening smack from the other side of the wall indicated the Fused had collided with it. " OB CH. 117

With all that established, what if the obsidian fortress Dalinar saw is the reverse? It was built in Shadesmar, maybe by spren and the Radiants pulled it into the physical realm using a technique similar to what Shallan did. It's probably much harder to do, like traveling out of Shadesmar into the physical was much harder for Jasnah. 

The reason no trace of it is known now is it reverted to Shadesmar at some point. It could have been completed destroyed in a desolation. I don't think Purelake erosion is going to erode all trace of it by itself even over thousands of years. 

There's nothing in the rule book that says a dog can't play basketball, er, I mean nothing says you can't pull buildings from Shadesmar!

Edited by Child of Hodor

Good theory, I think it more likely that since their is a know and stable perpendicularity in the area, one of the Bondsmiths opened it up and a group of Elsecallers spent a time in between desolations building these fortresses. Jasinah, made a wall of bronze in the middle of a battle. Imagine what a group of trained Elsecallers and a Bondsmith could do with a year. 

9 minutes ago, Master Silver said:

Good theory, I think it more likely that since their is a know and stable perpendicularity in the area

?  No there isn't.  The only stable perpendicularity is in the horneater peeks.

34 minutes ago, Karger said:

?  No there isn't.  The only stable perpendicularity is in the horneater peeks.

But Purelake is somehow related to Shardpools. If isnt, why 17th Expedition search for Hoid exact there?

And I dont think Perpendicularity is needet. Many Ellsecallers/Willshapers (probably more even latter ones) + Bondsmith (Connecting powers into one) should do the trick.

34 minutes ago, Master Silver said:

But if the Bondsmith bonded to the Storm Father coudl always open perpendicularities, they still could have done it.

No he cant. What Dalinar is doing is specific only for him.

15 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

But Purelake is somehow related to Shardpools. If isnt, why 17th Expedition search for Hoid exact there?

Hoid left a false trail. 

15 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

And I dont think Perpendicularity is needet. Many Ellsecallers/Willshapers (probably more even latter ones) + Bondsmith (Connecting powers into one) should do the trick.

Maybe.  I do think a shadesmar connection might be on track.

16 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

No he cant. What Dalinar is doing is specific only for him.

The bondsmiths do seem to have always had the ability to partially open a perpendicularity. 

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.
Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

Well well well well well well well look what we have here ... 

Spoilers for something this site put on it's front page 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200817-145136_Gallery.jpg

It does not match the description of the fortress. Dalinar does not describe a 2001 Space Odyssey monolith. But it's proof there are large obsidian-like structures in Shadesmar.