The Legend of Korra Is Now Also On Netflix! (Avatar's Sequel)

Scout_Fox

Since no one else has posted in a while...

Finished season two a couple of days ago. I could list out all the reasons that I really don't like it, but that would put a lot of effort into something that I don't really care about. A few thoughts/ramblings: Buumi was SUCH a disappointment. I was expecting so much more from the legendary military leader, but instead we got a clumsy fool who shows no wisdom that should come from war. The spirit world was weird, don't disgrace Iroh by trying to replicate him; I enjoyed Schow's cameo though! Original Avatar's story was cool and I liked it, but it just felt to storming convenient to the season, and pretty much all the magic rules from ATLA seem to have gone missing, so I guess the creators had to make up some new chull dung to justify Korra turning giant. 

So... yeah. Season two was a bust. I probably would have stopped here if I hadn't heard from so many people that season three is the best season of the show. I'm looking forward to watching it!

12 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

So... yeah. Season two was a bust. I probably would have stopped here if I hadn't heard from so many people that season three is the best season of the show. I'm looking forward to watching it!

This is about where I stood on it back when it was originally airing.  Season 3 is absolutely worth it.  Season 4 is pretty good too, but has its own share of flaws.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard some hate for season 2 among the fandom, but I personally liked it.

I finally finished the show two days ago (i've been watching with my family)

so, here is some stuff:

Spoiler

I was previously aware due to graphic novels that asami and korra end up together (that relationship was the first homosexual relationship my little kid brain was exposed to, so it stuck in my head). It definitely was hinted at by the show, but I was disappointed that it wasn't officially shown.

Other then that, I also vaguely knew something about a green spirit portal, so I was sorta confused by that and glad it showed up at the end.

The villain for season 4 was great. I loved her whole vibe, and found her ending good (though others in my family hated it)

also though... I'm now gathering every graphic novel i can get my hands on because i neeeeeed more i can't believe there's no more shows :wacko:

In addition, korra's whole poison arc was great. I am slightly disappointed, because when they showed her fighting in the earth kingdom, I thought it was some cool story where she'd been working there getting beat up. That's what it seemed to imply. Instead she'd just showed up there on that day.

Other then that, the whole series was good and I liked it a lot.

My current curiosity is if they plan on making a third show at some point.

21 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

My current curiosity is if they plan on making a third show at some point.

I've seen a meme that they're waiting for Mistborn Era 3 to come out first. 

But joking aside, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

To answer your question, I'm not sure. I bet if the creators wanted to, they could. Especially after the split with Netflix over ALTA's live action show. But...is that a good thing? I might get some flak for saying this, but Korra is a lot like the Sequel trilogy for Star Wars in how it's been received. There's no solid consensus on it, and the constant comparisons to the original material definitely don't help. A third Avatar show would definitely draw in the crowds, but would it be able to maintain those crowds? Or would it end up fracturing the fanbase even more? People who want a "true successor" to ALTA watch The Dragon Prince, and overall the quality of cartoons has step up in a major way - Gravity Falls, The Owl House, She-Ra, and so many others. Competing that field will be rough, and brand-power only goes so far nowadays. People who like ALTA's lore are satisfied with the comics and the Kyoshi YA novels. People who like Korra are getting the graphic novels. I'm not sure another show could add anything at this point. But who knows. 

15 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I've seen a meme that they're waiting for Mistborn Era 3 to come out first. 

But joking aside, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

To answer your question, I'm not sure. I bet if the creators wanted to, they could. Especially after the split with Netflix over ALTA's live action show. But...is that a good thing? I might get some flak for saying this, but Korra is a lot like the Sequel trilogy for Star Wars in how it's been received. There's no solid consensus on it, and the constant comparisons to the original material definitely don't help. A third Avatar show would definitely draw in the crowds, but would it be able to maintain those crowds? Or would it end up fracturing the fanbase even more? People who want a "true successor" to ALTA watch The Dragon Prince, and overall the quality of cartoons has step up in a major way - Gravity Falls, The Owl House, She-Ra, and so many others. Competing that field will be rough, and brand-power only goes so far nowadays. People who like ALTA's lore are satisfied with the comics and the Kyoshi YA novels. People who like Korra are getting the graphic novels. I'm not sure another show could add anything at this point. But who knows. 

I truly think there is much more that could be done.

Especially with netflix now having a lot of the shows rights, I hope they do some more with it.

I've looked into some opinions since my last post, and here's my thoughts on another show:

There's only really potential for one more sequel in the same genre as avatar and korra. After that, the tech would become futuristic and too far gone to be the same. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a future show is cool, but it would be very different.

The other option is prequels. There is many, many avatars. Perhaps they do a show about a completely new one. Perhaps they go to kyoshi (which has already been set up for by two books, but that could actually be a detriment to the possibility). Perhaps they do a series where each season is a different avatar.

This one, while not the most likely, in my opinion, is still very possible: A continuation of korra being picked up by netflix. The show wasn't meant to end at season four. Seasons five and more were very much possible. It was canceled because of, at that time, low ratings, and the fact that it was too mature for nickelodeon. Yes, there has been graphic novels. But more korra could pick up after that. This is personally my favorite.

Another is just: more atla. A series focusing on after the graphic novels for that. Very similar to the above. Expanding on sokka and the like would be fun.

Other then that, I don't quite know what there would be.

In addition, here's where I stand on korra. It fractured the fan base to an extent, but on all counts, I honestly prefer Korra. Better animation, more depth, better stories, better worldbuilding, and better magic all makes it just generally my prefered show of the two (ATLA was still great tho). And I think more shows like that would definitely hold up well, and possibly surpass, any of those shows you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

People who want a "true successor" to ALTA watch The Dragon Prince

for what its worth, I love ATLA and Korra, but I didnt like The Dragon Prince, and personally, I don't consider it a sucessor in any real way, in spite of the creators.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

for what its worth, I love ATLA and Korra, but I didnt like The Dragon Prince, and personally, I don't consider it a sucessor in any real way, in spite of the creators.

And that's fair. But there is a non-small amount of fans (or rather, vocal minority of fans) that like ALTA and don't like Korra, and so the idea of a "true successor" is thrown around.

I'm not saying it's wholly legitimate, hence the quotation marks, but I do see where they're coming from. 

I personally see TDP as a spiritual successor to ALTA, but one that doesn't take the place of Korra. Korra and TDP are more like foster siblings than the "true heir" or whatnot IMO. The same could be said for Naruto, Boruto, and My Hero Academia. One could even include Black Clover if they feel so inclined. MHA isn't trying to do what Boruto is trying to do, and there's more than enough space for both of them.* I believe same is true for Korra and TDP. It's a conversation, a dialogue, just like how both A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time are dialogues with The Lord of the Rings, and in a way Mistborn is a dialogue to The Wheel of Time.

But for those fans who prefer TDP to Korra, and claim Aaron Ehasz and other people on staff as the key to ALTA's greatness? Those are the fans that a third show would have to win over. (Or not, and cater to a new audience. That's a completely legitimate - and frankly quite preferable - strategy.) 

Overall I don't have a horse in this race. If Korra gets a sequel, great! If Korra doesn't, that's fine! If people like TDP over Korra, good for them! If the reverse is true, congratulations! 

*That being said, the relative popularity of MHA over Boruto is clear as day to see. To be fair, Boruto had a lot of things working against it at first, and it does have it's moments of awesome (including the latest few chapters); but the monthly format, rehashed material in the first dozen chapters (which, due to the monthly format, meant that readers had to reread something they had already watched in about 2 hours over the course of a year, not counting the breaks), the amount of love one of the most controversial characters STILL gets, and the divisive titular character all work against it. Not to mention how much filler the anime already has. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

25 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

And that's fair. But there is a non-small amount of fans (or rather, vocal minority of fans) that like ALTA and don't like Korra, and so the idea of a "true successor" is thrown around.

I'm not saying it's wholly legitimate, hence the quotation marks, but I do see where they're coming from.

I can sort of understand the argument that Korra is so different from ATLA, in terms of themes and characters, etc, that it isn't a proper sequel.  I disagree wholeheartedly, but I can understand the logic there.  What I don't understand is taking up the banner for The Dragon Prince.  it isn't terrible or anything, but I do think that it is, on every level, inferior to ATLA (and most of Korra, for that matter); at least the 1st season was, and the little I saw of the second season didn't look any better to me.  That's mostly just personal opinion, though I'd argue the animation is objectively worse.

11 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

What I don't understand is taking up the banner for The Dragon Prince.

It gives a lot of people the same feelings that ALTA did. That's really it. But to expound a little farther:

Both ALTA and TDP are shows about a group of young individuals amidst a generational conflict who seemingly have the key to peace (their titular characters), and must venture around the world for that peace to fully realize its destiny. Both stories explore themes of generational sin, the cost of war, vengeance, xenophobia (to a degree), and nationalism. Both have characters who must open their eyes to the people around them and learn from the cost of their previous actions, no matter what form that takes. ALTA and TDP are also in the same genre. 

They both have characters with similar dynamics too. Ezran is very much like a young, powerless (or rather uniquely powered) Aang. Callum's early journey of finding a place to belong is a lot like Sokka's crisis in "Sokka's Master." Soren and Claudia share nearly the exact same family dynamic as Zuko and Azula - the only difference is that Viren is emotionally absent and overbearing at first, not straight up abusive (emotionally, mentally, and physically) like Ozai was. 

Combine all of that with some shared staff, and I can see the banner being taken up pretty easily.

inferior to ATLA (and most of Korra, for that matter)

Well, it's only reached the halfway point of the run. Of that, you said you only watched the first season. It improves, goes deeper into themes, and has better action later on. Besides, comparing a partially finished show to a completely finished one is a recipe for disaster. I don't think most people are going to say that TDP will ever rise to ALTA's height; but many believe it does have the potential to be great on its own and a "worthy successor." 

Inferior to Korra...YMMV on that one. Again, comparing one unfinished show to another's finished product is a recipe for disaster. I will say that Korra to myself (and even moreso to many other fans) had DRASTIC dips in quality at times. TDP has done nothing but improve. 

at least the 1st season was, and the little I saw of the second season didn't look any better to me.  That's mostly just personal opinion, though I'd argue the animation is objectively worse.

It's a different style, and that's a preference thing. And comparing 2D to CGI isn't always a fair comparison either. Now, if you were comparing it to Trollhunters, I'd agree for the most part. 

44 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

Korra is so different from ATLA, in terms of themes and characters, etc, that it isn't a proper sequel. 

Oh Korra is most definitely a sequel, I don't think anyone is debating that. In terms of themes, characters, and genre (Korra is YA no matter what the official rating says), I think Korra absolutely nailed what an ideal sequel series should do. I also think it faltered in those very same areas as time went on. 

What I believe is that when people say they want a "proper sequel" in terms of a new series, they actually want a "successor," or something that gives them the same or similar feeling as the original product did.* People like TFA and The Mandalorian because it gives them some of the same feelings that the Star Wars OT did. (The same can be said for Solo...for those who watched it...) People like My Hero Academia over Boruto because MHA gives them the same feelings that Naruto did, while improving where Naruto failed. Likewise, as I detailed above, TDP does that for a non-small amount of people (or at least a vocal minority). That's why I've been careful to say "successor" and not "sequel," as those are two separate things with two separate criteria. 

Linked are some videos that talk about both ALTA and TDP. I tried finding some for Korra, but nothing really popped up. This is probably all I should say on TDP on this thread, since I feel like I'm starting to derail the conversation. 

*Inversely, that's why many fans of Teen Titans hate Teen Titans, Go! Even shows like Star Wars Rebels had to deal with stuff like that (to a lesser degree than others, but it was still there). And the backlash Star Wars Resistance faced? Just LOOK at the amount of dislikes on that first look trailer! 

2 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Wow, that was impressive. Have a rep! I would have just said that they're alike and I like both of them.

Thank you! The difference and separation of sequel series vs spiritual successors is something that I've been curious about for a while now, so it's been fun to explore it even in passing here. Have a rep back; your positivity is what we need to get this thread back on track! 

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Thank you! Have a rep back; your positivity is what we need to get this thread back on track! 

Thank you! You're quite positive as well!

Do you mind if I follow you? I've seen you around quite a bit, but I didn't want to in case it would seem creepy. So I'm asking!

Just now, Condensation said:

Thank you! You're quite positive as well!

Do you mind if I follow you? I've seen you around quite a bit, but I didn't want to in case it would seem creepy. So I'm asking!

Go ahead! I'm not sure I'll be able to contribute as much to the actual Cosmere convos compared to other members, but if my stuff interests you or brings you joy, it's worth it. 

Lot's more good stuff added on to here nice thinking everyone!

7 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Especially after the split with Netflix over ALTA's live action show.

Bruh when I saw this I was like ight that's it, pull out the white flag, we surrender. And the fact that they separated for "creative differences" too likely means Netflix wanted to take it in some completely opposite direction that they no longer felt would meet their standards. Which in turn means it will likely suck :(. 

Even if you're opinion isn't being listened to and your ideas are not being followed as long as it is still gonna turn out good (and make da monies) there's no reason you would take your name off of it. Now it's possible Netflix has an equally good but separate view but I just gotta say after seeing that I'm not getting my hopes up.

7 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Especially with netflix now having a lot of the shows rights, I hope they do some more with it.

Wellll we hope they do more with it as long as it's good lol. Don't do another Disney on me here but yeah would be cool to see more stuff.

7 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

This one, while not the most likely, in my opinion, is still very possible: A continuation of korra being picked up by netflix. The show wasn't meant to end at season four. Seasons five and more were very much possible. It was canceled because of, at that time, low ratings, and the fact that it was too mature for nickelodeon. Yes, there has been graphic novels. But more korra could pick up after that. This is personally my favorite.

Another is just: more atla. A series focusing on after the graphic novels for that. Very similar to the above. Expanding on sokka and the like would be fun.

Oh interesting, interesting. So they kindof did a Star Wars: The Clone Wars on it huh? Well in that case yeah I do think it could have high potential to succeed. Especially if they have more original ideas. And at this point the target audience for the original two is now much older so the concepts, however more mature, would carry and new generations could likely be attracted too.

And yeah, besides the fact that some people have already "seen" it, I really think there's no reason for them not to adapt any graphic novels available. It's literally free source material, you know how people reacted, and you already know how it should be designed and laid out. While it may not be the smashing success of a brand new series the factors listed previously would likely bring costs down and probably make it worth it in attracting new audiences or even current audiences who haven't read the graphic novels.

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Or not, and cater to a new audience. That's a completely legitimate - and frankly quite preferable - strategy.) 

Lol yeah right, the day we see a giant mega-corporation try to appeal to a new audience rather than milking the last bits of patience and interest from an established audience we will likely find out Brandon is actually from the Cosmere and was not in fact born on Earth (or maybe that will happen sooner idk :P).

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

They both have characters with similar dynamics too. Ezran is very much like a young, powerless (or rather uniquely powered) Aang. Callum's early journey of finding a place to belong is a lot like Sokka's crisis in "Sokka's Master." Soren and Claudia share nearly the exact same family dynamic as Zuko and Azula - the only difference is that Viren is emotionally absent and overbearing at first, not straight up abusive (emotionally, mentally, and physically) like Ozai was. 

The similar character dynamics can be found pretty much anywhere tho. LoK, Star Wars OT and sequels, Harry Potter...

Aang (new power, learning about the greater world, accepting responsibility for their actions, trying to save the world) = Korra = Luke = Rey = Harry

Katara (responsible, looking out for others, trying to help lead, guide the silly one) = Mako = Leia = Finn = Hermione

Saka (goofy silly one, comedic effect guy, doing it their own way, needing to be helped) = Bolin (Asami only for power comparison) = Han = Poe = Ron

It's a function of how they shape a compelling story with their characters. That's why there is a lot of the time 3 main and we see it pop up a lot in popular stories. It's like the 3 main pillars of personality types for the most people to connect to and therefore be invested in the story (and in turn make them monies)

Thank you! The difference and separation of sequel series vs spiritual successors is something that I've been curious about for a while now, so it's been fun to explore it even in passing here. Have a rep back; your positivity is what we need to get this thread back on track! 

Huh yknow honestly that is a super interesting concept. I would have to go mostly along the lines of what Dunkum says (at least I think) here

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I can sort of understand the argument that Korra is so different from ATLA, in terms of themes and characters, etc, that it isn't a proper sequel.  I disagree wholeheartedly, but I can understand the logic there.

It was cuz a sequel is a continuation of a story and LoK continued the story.

If something were to continue it in essence or in spirt I would say its modelled after ____. I wouldn't say the style makes it a sequel tho. If you were to say that then Harry Potter could be a sequel to Star Wars just based on style (just an example... and maybe even it is :ph34r:). A sequel is really made by the story not the style.

That is interesting to think of spiritual successors though. In that form you are quantifying if it less in content and more in feel. So, could one show be another's sequel in feel, yes it probably could. I think you would have to make this distinction here though between sequel in content and sequel in feel as they lead to different things.

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

This is probably all I should say on TDP on this thread, since I feel like I'm starting to derail the conversation. 

And nahhh you are discussing it in the context of ATLA and Korra to give more depth. Gives us a comparison and masterfully continues the conversation no worries

37 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Aang (new power, learning about the greater world, accepting responsibility for their actions, trying to save the world) = Korra = Luke = Rey = Harry

Yes and no. I think you're right about this archetype, but I don't believe this was the archetype I was going for. I was more thinking the "And a Child Shall Lead Them" trope. Aang and Ezran fit into this more-so that the others. Rey and Korra are closer to that, but neither are fully isn't there. Aanya totally is though. 

I think Aang and Ezran are separate because they're all about optimism, hope, and bringing peace and order to a world that's chaotic because they're doing it for peace. Luke almost fits that, but he can't fully because he wants to be a Jedi to be like his father, not because it's the right thing to do. Rey is even weirder I won't get into it fully; suffice it to say, Rey was a good person, but by the end of the trilogy, things just happened and she was just in the paragon role. The same is sort of true for Harry. 

That's why there is a lot of the time 3 main and we see it pop up a lot in popular stories. It's like the 3 main pillars of personality types for the most people to connect to and therefore be invested in the story (and in turn make them monies)

You're not wrong about this. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman; Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura; Deku, Bakugo, Shoto; Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc. 

Three Man Bands, Four Man Bands, and Five Man Bands are the most constant group dynamics in media. Sometimes the number gets up to about six (a standard Power Ranger group number and the final count of the Gaang) or seven, but rarely more than that. (The Phantom Thieves are the only major exception I can think of off the top of my head.)

It's more than just the Three Man Band that makes a group interesting though. though. It's the characterization of the trio and their own roles within the trio that make things feel different. In the normal Three Man Band, The Paragon is usually the leader. Not so with TDP. Ezran may be the closest comparison to Aang, but he's also the weakest member of the group. Callum's the leader, Rayla's the Lancer, and Ezran is the third angle. 

Katara (responsible, looking out for others, trying to help lead, guide the silly one) = Mako = Leia = Finn = Hermione

Saka (goofy silly one, comedic effect guy, doing it their own way, needing to be helped) = Bolin (Asami only for power comparison) = Han = Poe = Ron

The ST (unfortunately) kept trying to make Finn the goofy one. 

That is interesting to think of spiritual successors though. In that form you are quantifying if it less in content and more in feel. So, could one show be another's sequel in feel, yes it probably could. I think you would have to make this distinction here though between sequel in content and sequel in feel as they lead to different things.

Absolutely. That's why I don't use the term sequel when bringing up TDP. I use "spiritual successor." (Other examples I originally forgot is The Outer Worlds being one to Fallout: New Vegas, and Paper Mario being one to Mario RPG...and now Bug Fables to the first two Paper Mario games.) It's a thing. 

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiritualSuccessor

Bruh when I saw this I was like ight that's it, pull out the white flag, we surrender. And the fact that they separated for "creative differences" too likely means Netflix wanted to take it in some completely opposite direction that they no longer felt would meet their standards. Which in turn means it will likely suck :(. 

Even if you're opinion isn't being listened to and your ideas are not being followed as long as it is still gonna turn out good (and make da monies) there's no reason you would take your name off of it. Now it's possible Netflix has an equally good but separate view but I just gotta say after seeing that I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm still going in with a cautiously optimistic mindset. Netflix's game plan should be to make a good story first and a solid adaptation second. I don't mind it being different so long as it is good and keeps the heart of the series. It may not be the series for me, but that's fine too. 

the day we see a giant mega-corporation try to appeal to a new audience rather than milking the last bits of patience and interest from an established audience

Actually, we see this pretty often! That's exactly what the PT and ST did for Star Wars. Yes, they were appealing to older fans, but their target demographic was always the younger audience. Hook them in, and you have fans for LIFE. The same is true for Pokemon games for the most part. (Well, that and Gamefreak's hand-holding throughout entire games nowadays...and the terrible plots...). Star Trek Lower Decks is all about reaching that Rick and Morty crowd. This habit is part of the reason why you get the whole "XYZ was better when I was growing up/I was watching it/back in the good ol' days. Why can't XYZ get back to that?" Heck, I've seen this sort of reaction here on this forum! 

It's also why we have so many superhero reboots and why we're fine with them as a whole. We understand that there will be a new audience, and a in a new era we need a new vision of that character. Granted, the MCU has changed this idea massively over the past ten years, but I don't think even they can escape an eventual reboot. 

14 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Netflix's game plan should be to make a good story first and a solid adaptation second. I don't mind it being different so long as it is good and keeps the heart of the series. It may not be the series for me, but that's fine too. 

I agree that should be netflix's game plan with a live action adaptation.

But a better game plan, in my opinion, is not pulling a disney and making the lion king, again, and instead just going with a new series.

While away, I've thought of two new ideas I think would be unique and fun stories for another avatar series based around an avatar (if you remove that as the core potential is infinite). MINOR SPOILERS READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

1. An avatar that was raised by their nation, for their nation. This version of the avatar would be like what they wanted whatshisnametheguybeforeaang to be, but he refused. This would historically only work well for fire and earth. The next avatar is an earthbender, which could be really really cool, but the problem is the fact that it's become a democracy at the end of the show. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's still less then optimal. The other, the fire nation, we didn't really get much on in korra, so maybe? But anyway, it would be an avatar raised in the conditions of those earth bender silencer guys (my brain is blanking on names :P), who only later starts to realize other stuff. Amazing arc potential.
  2. After whatever the next avatar is, or a continuation of korra, whichever option of those is taken, you reach the point where tech is going too far, too fast, to remain in the same era as is necessary to maintain the current vibe. But here's an option: end of that show, there's a disaster, an apocalypse level event. Pretty standard in ATLA and korra, but this one mostly works. It doesn't have to be a full on nuclear fallout or whatever to be effective, so it can remain within the standards. Think, for context, the vines from season 2 of korra,
    Spoiler

the earth queens fall, with rioting and looting and whatnot, and the destruction caused by either fire lord ozai or whatshernamemetallady at the end of korra, but on a more global scale.

In this, the avatar survives, probably so do most of her or his friends, and a lot of people worldwide. But power, economies, etc. are shattered. This leaves infinite potential for various plots. Rebuilding civilization plots. Dealing with the fallout and the crazy results in nature plots. And anything else you want, because the tech has been set back again and you've got at least an avatar or two before it again reaches modern day+ tech.

Anyway, what do y'all think? I love both series ideas, and maybe even more than just going back to korra. Which would you prefer of all my current ideas?

19 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

You're not wrong about this. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman; Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura; Deku, Bakugo, Shoto; Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc. 

It's more than just the Three Man Band that makes a group interesting though. though. It's the characterization of the trio and their own roles within the trio that make things feel different.

Yeah! I think it's super interesting how we see it in so many different places. Absolutely there are other ways they do it and it's not exactly the same I just think it's interesting to look at how that trio of personality mirrors itself to a lot of popular media. I wonder who first noticed that and popularized it??

20 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Absolutely. That's why I don't use the term sequel when bringing up TDP. I use "spiritual successor." (Other examples I originally forgot is The Outer Worlds being one to Fallout: New Vegas, and Paper Mario being one to Mario RPG...and now Bug Fables to the first two Paper Mario games.) It's a thing.

Hmm yeah ok I see you better now yeah "successor" fits a little better. Especially when you have the spiritual part. Does it not just be referred to as the same style as ____? Idk I feel like I could see it both ways

I'm still going in with a cautiously optimistic mindset. Netflix's game plan should be to make a good story first and a solid adaptation second. I don't mind it being different so long as it is good and keeps the heart of the series. It may not be the series for me, but that's fine too. 

Yeah I mean Netflix does make good stuff so all hope isn't lost It's just a little more reserved lol...

Actually, we see this pretty often! That's exactly what the PT and ST did for Star Wars. Yes, they were appealing to older fans, but their target demographic was always the younger audience. Hook them in, and you have fans for LIFE.

Ah yeah true yeah but I was more thinking in like brand allegiance, Like they will take another Star Wars thing instead of going with The Fates of Ottleville or whatever other randomly shouted idea from the back of the board meeting comes up because they know at the very least they will have a core Star Wars audience that will follow. It's like a safety card of "well even if this fails I'll still make some money on it" sorta thing. So yeah reaching new audiences with new stories for sure but same realm of stories :D.

5 hours ago, Ark1002 said:
  1. An avatar that was raised by their nation, for their nation. 
  2. After whatever the next avatar is, or a continuation of korra, whichever option of those is taken, you reach the point where tech is going too far, too fast, to remain in the same era as is necessary to maintain the current vibe. But here's an option: end of that show, there's a disaster, an apocalypse level event.

Ok this post is super long so I'll hop onto these more in depth after someone else lol but:

1. Woah
  2. And WOAH

Honestly those sound like they could be super cool to explore! You get any calls from Netflix recently or anything :P?

20 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Absolutely there are other ways they do it and it's not exactly the same I just think it's interesting to look at how that trio of personality mirrors itself to a lot of popular media. I wonder who first noticed that and popularized it??

I think it popped out of the Rule of Three for storytelling, which makes me think it's a Greco-Roman thing. But that's the Eurocentric learning and education at play. 

20 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Hmm yeah ok I see you better now yeah "successor" fits a little better. Especially when you have the spiritual part. Does it not just be referred to as the same style as ____? Idk I feel like I could see it both ways

It's more of "directly inspired by" rather than "the same style as," if you catch my drift. 

I wouldn't consider the Malazan series in the "Tolkien family tree," if you will, despite being in the same genre. Going off of that, I can't think of too many sci-fi/fantasy things where doing something in the same style isn't a case of being directly inspired. Or at least not off the top of my head. And Fairy Tail, while originally reminding me of One Piece, shares so few similarities with it now I wouldn't say it's in the same family tree either, despite sharing an originally similar style. 

But the lines do get blurry and your question is a very valid one. Eragon and the Inheritance Cycle were inspired by Star Wars, but do we consider that a spiritual successor? I could totally see ALTA being a spiritual successor to Star Wars, but that's because they possess the same core story. And going off of that, so does Mistborn, but I don't see it connecting to ALTA or Star Wars at all. The MCU has more or less taken up the Pop Culture Sci-Fi space that Star Wars took up 40 years ago, and Star Trek before that; yet neither really connect outside of some references and Easter Eggs. So, while it is a cultural successor, does that make it a spiritual one? 

To me, it comes down to intent and connection. If something is "inspired by" and/or "a reaction to," another medium, then I consider it in that family tree. 

TDP is the spiritual successor to ALTA because it's clearly trying to hit all of those same marks that ALTA hit, and by doing so recreate those feelings that ALTA gave us. Korra doesn't really try to do that outside of a few cameos and one part of the love triangle (I am utterly convinced Mako and Korra's romance was created just to satisfy the Zutara shippers, and nothing you say or do will change my mind lol!). So Korra is a sequel and TDP is a successor. Someday, something else may come along and remind people of ALTA, or a new show may come out that gives people the same positive feelings that Korra gave, and that family tree gets a little bigger. (One could make an argument that Voltron was actually the next in that line, given that they shared the same animation studio, fans, and a few other similarities; I would not disagree with that person, although that to me feels more like "in the style of" rather than "directly inspired by.") 

Although to you if this all means "in the same style," then yes!

36 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

So yeah reaching new audiences with new stories for sure but same realm of stories :D.

Ah gotcha!!

I think it popped out of the Rule of Three for storytelling, which makes me think it's a Greco-Roman thing. But that's the Eurocentric learning and education at play. 

Ahhhh very interesting huh. Well cool then! It does seem to be remarkably successful as it is so prolific in media now. I wonder if perhaps there will be another stylus of it that will rise to prominence. Or if this has and always will be the way??

To me, it comes down to intent and connection. If something is "inspired by" and/or "a reaction to," another medium, then I consider it in that family tree. 

Huhhhh ok interesting. Yeah so for me I was thinking of family trees as in content that continues a shared story. This idea is kind of like a "brother from another mother thing" like same "personality" different "genes"/content. Cool idea!

I like the inspired by part of it, that I can get with. Inspired by or a reaction to I could understand including as a spiritual successor. I think it would also be equally valid though to say like this is "modelled after" ______ but is not a successor or sequel or whatever because it follows a different story. It is modelled in the style of ____ but explores different worlds.

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

Posting so @Scout_Fox can!

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

It's rather true...

:lol: Thanks! And yeah you guys are not wrong lol... Also perhaps wanting to give positive representation to other types of relationships between people besides the heterosexual one in most media. I think this can be especially important because being exposed to these things in a positive light at a younger age can leave you more open to them in the future.

8 hours ago, Ark1002 said:
  1. An avatar that was raised by their nation, for their nation.
  2. you reach the point where tech is going too far, too fast, to remain in the same era as is necessary to maintain the current vibe. But here's an option: end of that show, there's a disaster, an apocalypse level event.
  1. Honestly, tons of potential here! I would be interesting to see another Avatar but one who has not multinational interests in mind. Just a sole monopoly of power for one nation. It's kinda the opposite story of the Avatar needing to save other nations, now nations would need to save the Avatar I like it! And then they kind of grow and perhaps potentially rebel (or even don't :ph34r:) towards the end. Nice!
  2. This is literally the perfect way of getting that reset! Perhaps even all the way back to the same style and feel as ATLA because yeah at a certain point the avatar becomes less of a deal if technology has reached that point already. Like Clarke's Third Law in a way: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." If technology was that advanced everyone could be the Avatar and the whole authority they are lent by having such power would be removed. Perhaps showing how useless the Avatar had become at the start and the power struggle that resulted. And then maybe even a transition to the Avatar helping create this disaster because they realized it was the only way to prevent total war??? And then yeah any of those other arcs you mentioned would work so well! I actually really like this one I think for me it's my fave!

What do other people think on them? Which would make a more meaningful story or give the most options for future?

Edited by Scout_Fox

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this was already mentioned or what. I didn't read the last 2 pages. I was at least a little bit interested in The Legend of Korra. But As I was watching the Netflix trailer for it, I was sorely disappointed (though I never expected much in the first place). I don't know if anyone new this, but the animators for the Original Show (Avatar Last Airbender) Were Literally taught Kung-Fu, so they could Theme/base the 4 elemental forms after different real life Kung-Fu forms. Each one pertaining to an element in the show.

In the new show, Its pretty much just punching and kicking. If you couldn't see the elements for example, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between airbending or firebending! Cuz' Both benders would just be punching and kicking the air! In the end, It just comes down to who can punch/kick the fastest and who punches/kicks with the most passion. I just think it's stupid how they animated the bending.

So ya, that's the biggest problem I have with the Show. Some people might be fine with that aspect of the new show, or some might even like it More than the old way(though i find that hard to believe). But for me, it bugs me to much for me to enjoy watching it. The Original, Was and still is, my all time favorite cartoon/tv show ever, and the next one felt wrong to me. The only part i actually really like are the few scenes when it shows the original members of Team Avatar. Like Toph, and her Metal bending Squad. (or something along those lines)

So ya. Sorry for the rant. If any body finds anything I said to be incorrect or saw that I missed something, just tell me. Or not, whatever. I really just wanted to share my opinion on the new show.

Oh! And if I could Bend an Element I would be and Airbender.