The Legend of Korra Is Now Also On Netflix! (Avatar's Sequel)

Scout_Fox

Hear ye, hear ye, Avatar fans, the complete Avatar animated franchise is now fully on Netflix and set up for the perfect binge-watching opportunity to stave off pandemic boredom. Forsaking all future plans to watch everything over again? First time watcher? Didn't even know there was a sequel? Discuss it all below!

(Spoilers in spoilers boxes please for all us new (or returning but can't remember) watchers!)

Edited by Scout_Fox

I haven’t seen all of Korra in a long time (so we all know what I’ll be doing the rest of the day). I don’t like it as much as avatar but what do I like more then avatar? 

Edited by Hentient

44 minutes ago, Hentient said:

I haven’t seen all of Korra in a long time (so we all know what I’ll be doing the rest of the day). I don’t like it as much as avatar but what do I like more then avatar? 

Me and also me lol. Although I don't have the clearest memory since I watched it so long ago (and I don't even know if I actually ended up watching all of it) I do remember thinking it wasn't quite as good as far the story and character development goes. On the other hand though, the visual aspects of it were much improved. It being created in 16:9 instead of 4:3 is soooo much nicer to watch on modern displays and the handling of lights and darks is way more seamless. You also get more distinct and realistic images with blended colors obv due to improvements in technology over the 7 year span and undoubtedly a larger budget. 

Just to give a mediocre example between the two, in Avatar on the top you have very distinct, this color goes here, this color goes here images where everything feels separate. In Korra on the bottom you have more blended colors and shadows and the way the sun melts into the frame from the top is a technique they make much better use of.

(They don't really spoil anything because they don't make sense out of context but just in case anyone absolutely doesn't want anything spoiled they are hidden)

Spoiler

The 10 Best Avatar: The Last Airbender Episodes - IGN5 Ways The Legend of Korra Went Wrong

I agree. I’m *ahem* watching it right now, and the visual aspects of the show are more advanced. They also have more beauty shots, showing the city in different kinds of light. 

And I like the music better. The soundtrack is a lot more varied, and more powerful in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, Hentient said:

I agree. I’m *ahem* watching it right now, and the visual aspects of the show are more advanced. They also have more beauty shots, showing the city in different kinds of light. 

And I like the music better. The soundtrack is a lot more varied, and more powerful in my opinion. 

Lol watching as well though don't know that I'll have time to finish today. I definitely agree though, they weren't afraid to take on complex establishing shots with multiple light sources and dynamic reflections such as in the water. The improved resolution from 480p to 1080p (perhaps 720p but I believe Netflix would opt for the highest quality) also helps things look more distinct.

Hadn't been paying attention to the music actually but now that you point it out I am noticing a broader scope of sound.

28 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I probably won't re-watch it, at least not for a while. But I'm excited to hear my friends' opinions as they watch and/or re-watch the show. 

Yeah think it depends on how well it has stuck in your memory :D. And it's definitely nice to have it on Netflix. Far more accessible so it can reach a much larger audience.

8 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Yeah think it depends on how well it has stuck in your memory :D.

That and how much you like it!

I've always compared ALTA to the original Star Wars trilogy, but now it's interesting to see how well Korra fits the Sequel Trilogy, in terms of themes, and my feelings towards it. Korra isn't a show I like enough to fully recommend, but I don't dislike it enough to dissuade people from watching it. There are just fundamental issues I have with it that make me not want to re-watch it. Or at least not ALL of it. I'm willing to re-watch Season 3 someday, because that season is on-par with ALTA for me. But I'm not a giant fan of the rest of the show. 

It's also weird that I feel this way about Korra to me, because I feel differently about other shows that dealt with the same sort of thing. My favorite superhero show is Arrow, yet, just like Korra, its quality varied from season-to-season. Even still, I don't mind recommending certain seasons to people so they can see the best of the show. I can't do that for Korra; it's too connected, yet not connected enough. Anyways, I'm rambling at this point. 

Overall, I'm happy Korra exists, and it taught me a few things about writing and stories that I didn't know I needed to be taught. If others like/love it, that's great! It's just not me. 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

That and how much you like it!

I've always compared ALTA to the original Star Wars trilogy, but now it's interesting to see how well Korra fits the Sequel Trilogy, in terms of themes, and my feelings towards it.

My favorite superhero show is Arrow, yet, just like Korra, its quality varied from season-to-season. Even still, I don't mind recommending certain seasons to people so they can see the best of the show. I can't do that for Korra; it's too connected, yet not connected enough. Anyways, I'm rambling at this point. 

Overall, I'm happy Korra exists, and it taught me a few things about writing and stories that I didn't know I needed to be taught. If others like/love it, that's great! It's just not me. 

Yes, completely! 

Huh had actually never made that connection. Interesting though, I'll pay attention to the similarities as I watch this time around. 

Ah yeah I can attest to the Arrow quality differences. One of the reasons why I was never able to stick with it. Kept getting interested and then losing it. And yeah, the Avatar franchise is definitely a read-in-order one (or watch lol). Each episode is a closely linked part of a whole. The DC shows for the most part are self contained episodes where they introduce a problem, solve it, then rinse and repeat with some ties through the season.

Well said, well said.

6 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Skipping thread but I’ve been waiting on this to hit since Air hit it. I ll finally be able to finish this series after losing Nick right before S3 was new.

On S1 Ep6 so far today.

lol mostly just a comparison on how the plot and visual/auditory devices differ between the two series, no life changing revelations (yet). And yes me too! It's nice to have one place to watch it all especially one as accessible as Netflix.

I applaud, got to 5 and had to get on to other things sadly. I'll be back

28 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

Ah yeah I can attest to the Arrow quality differences. One of the reasons why I was never able to stick with it. Kept getting interested and then losing it.

I always recommend powering through Season One, enjoying Season Two (it's the second best Season Two of a superhero show I've ever seen (first place goes to Agents of Shield, and third to Daredevil)), and skimming Season Three.* After that, I'd say skip Season Four (outside of the crossover episodes of course), and head straight to Season Five. I'd put that one on-par with Season Two in terms of quality. After that I'm not as confident, so I'd say watch the first half of Season Six, and then skip to the final season. 

30 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

And yeah, the Avatar franchise is definitely a read-in-order one (or watch lol). Each episode is a closely linked part of a whole.

The problem for me is that each season was connected and yet it wasn't. I can't recommend skipping Book 2 of Korra because it's integral to the plot, but I can't recommend watching it that much either. (It's not bad, just not always enjoyable.) But I recognize that's a weird stance for me to take, especially since it feels hypocritical after recommending a show with even larger spikes and dips in quality lol!

*I see what they were going for with Season Three and why it failed in both the present and the flashbacks, and if they had some time - and a time travel machine - I'm sure it'd be a very easy fix. And I personally like the iteration for Ra's Al Ghul for the most part. 

12 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I always recommend powering through Season One, enjoying Season Two (it's the second best Season Two of a superhero show I've ever seen (first place goes to Agents of Shield, and third to Daredevil)), and skimming Season Three.* After that, I'd say skip Season Four (outside of the crossover episodes of course), and head straight to Season Five. I'd put that one on-par with Season Two in terms of quality. After that I'm not as confident, so I'd say watch the first half of Season Six, and then skip to the final season. 

Hmm well I'd be game to give it another try after this recommendation. As for Shield, now you're talking. Although even that one went down the drain imo. First few seasons were awesome then they started getting weirder and less interesting. Think I finished the one where they were in space and then got to Evil Coulsen with the truck-mobile and I was just like what even anymore. I think it really all just goes to show how hard it is to make something that lot's of people will like. It's easy to make something for one person but to get an original idea across to large audiences and then be able to maintain momentum when moving into later seasons is really difficult and really impressive. Can show how underappreciated authors, directors, and artists are and makes me more appreciative of all the work that must go into a really awesome series. 

Edited by Scout_Fox

I literally came on the Shard today for the sole reason to excitedly scream about how excited I was for Legend of Korra being on Netflix. Seems like Scout_Fox beat me to it. In any case, I haven't seen most of it (I've watched through the first five episodes), so I might have to avoid this thread if there're going to be spoilers

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I literally came on the Shard today for the sole reason to excitedly scream about how excited I was for Legend of Korra being on Netflix. Seems like Scout_Fox beat me to it. In any case, I haven't seen most of it (I've watched through the first five episodes), so I might have to avoid this thread if there're going to be spoilers

Lol that was exactly me yesterday :lol: (might have the time zone jump on you??). Been waiting for so long was the first thing I did when I got up! Am exactly in the same boat though, got through the first bit and am working on the rest when I got time. Glad we have another fan here. And no spoilers yet although I shall amend my original post to ask for them to be labelled in spoiler boxes if people desire to discuss them. Good thinking!

I have finished watching Book 1 of LoK (in two days, nonetheless... awesome!). I'm going to put my thoughts on all of it below and in a spoiler box:

Spoiler

Warning! Spoilers for Legend of Korra Book 1.

Spoiler

The overall plot: I was actually very satisfied with the plot iself. I'm usually more of a character-and-character arc guy, but by the sixth or so episode, I was hooked. I totally expected it to be a remake of TLA, with Korra having to go around and master all four elements, but when they timeskipped to when she had already mastered three, I was like heck yaassssss! I loved the transition of storytelling mediums between the Korra-versus-Amon plot arc and the Fire Ferrets-versus-everyone else plot arc, and then they crossed the two over to set up the villain and stuff... man, I was so satisfied there!

• What'd I think of Amon's anti-bending powers? I thought they were amazing. They were so much cooler and scarier than Ozai's little firebending.
  • What'd I think of Asami's dad being the bad guy (kinda)? I kind of wish I had spotted it sooner. I should've predicted that plot twist!
  • What'd I think of the fight scenes? They were awesomeSo visually pleasing and awesome to follow.
  • What'd I think of the cars? Whoohoo! Cars! Vroom, vroom!

The overall character arc things: I don't tend to follow main-character character arcs that often, but Korra was a very intriguing character, so I did this time. I also followed the other guys (especially Bolin--Mako was secondary), but for once, my main focus was on Korra. Her and Amon; he was scawy, and so I liked him. On the love arcs... well, I didn't need the seventeen love arcs, but I enjoyed them.

• Korra: It's not often that you run into a natural waterbender with a firebender mentality. I made sure to check if her personality made sense with her obvious skill in waterbending, earthbending, and firebending: it checked out. She was less a flowing river when it came to waterbending, and more a churning ocean; check. She could certainly be stubborn as a rock at times; check. And, to quote that one guy from the first episode, not two minutes into it, "she lacks restraint;" firebending, check. Air, of course, is a spiritual element, so the fact that she couldn't do it makes a lot of sense. I was actually hoping (from a plot-and-character perspective) that when Amon took her powers away, that she'd only have airbending to work with (oh, yeah... I also saw the airbending-achievement-unlocked thing after the bending-loss a mile away), so the fact that discount Aang gave her her powers back was kinda... cheap, in my opinion.
  • Mako: The moment he and Korra shared a mutual annoyance, I was like I smell love arc. It didn't go anywhere for awhile, which I respected, but the moment Asami hit him with her moped, I was like I smell love triangle. I knew that he would probably get with Korra in the end, but I was really hoping he'd stick with Asami instead, and Korra would find someone else; or not find anyone at all.
  • Bolin: When I first heard their was an Avatar sequel following the next Avatar in the cycle, my first thought was but who's the Sokka remake? Is he/she going to be a legitimate character, or will it basically be discount sarcasm boy? I immediately pegged Bolin as the next in the line for witty commentary man, but I didn't expect to like him so much. He wasn't just a carbon copy of Sokka; he had his own character, his own sense of humor, and his own tastes in food (noodles, not meat). Overall, I was very satisfied with Bolin's character. I just have one question, though: how the heck did his parents manage to conceive both a firebender and an earthbender son?
  • Asami: The last member of Team Avatar II. I didn't know what to expect for this character, but that's okay, because that meant I got to watch where she went. I was sincerely hoping that she and Korra could have a girl-to-girl and talk about how much they like Mako, but unfortunately, that never happened. I wasn't sure what to think of her revenge arc against her father: I was just kinda meh about it most of the time.
  • Tenzin: Responsable, caring; father figure. He was a father figure for a character who didn't actually need a father figure, because she actually had a father. In any case, I was a fan of this character. He was very airbender-y, but with a comical temper that always caught me off-guard and made me chuckle.
  • Tenzin's Kids (not gonna name them all): I didn't really mind what happened with them, but I did want Jinora to have an arc (she probably will, but didn't in Book I). The entire time, I kind of expected them to be nothing more than slapstick nuisances, but when Amon had them tied up and about to take their bending away, I was like uh, you better not!
  • Lin Beifong: Hoohoo, I loved this character! She was salty on Korra before the first episode was up, and that made me happy! Every time she made an appearance, I was hooked. When she sacrificed herself and her bending to Amon, I was practically dying inside; both out of beloved character arc conclusion, and because she was amazing and I was sad.
  • Tarrlok (is that really how his name is spelled?): I didn't know what to think of him until his bending was taken away. It was kind of hate-like-hate-like-hate....like. Off and on. At first I thought that he was Amon, but... well, I guess I was close enough. His backstory was amazing and I loved it. When he and his brother both had that massively dramatic death with the tear and stuff... man. My siblings were all laughing about it ("oh, just spark the gas tank! Hardy-har!), and I was like SILENCE!!! I NEED THIS MOMENT!!!
  • Amon: Probably the most intriguing and awesome villain I've ever seen since Loki or Thanos. His powerset was amazing and really stakes-setting, which I respected a lot. His communist mindset was interesting, and not perfectly unique, but the way that he portrayed it (alongside his spooky powers) was awesome.
  • Discount Zuko: Iroh was meh. I'll give him that.
  • Gran-Gran Katara: I did not expect her to live that long, but eh, whatever.
  • Flashback Aang: His character made sense (responsible and kind), so I accepted it.
  • Flashback Toph: The moment I saw her, I was like daaaaang, sister! Remember that episode back in TLA, "Tales of Ba-Sing Say," where Katara said she thought Toph was pretty? I didn't expect that to be an Emma Watson "oops, I'm hot now" thing! As a character, though... well, she called Aang twinkle-toes, and therefore I am satisfied. Oh! And she founded those metalbending police people, which was cool.
  • Flashback Sokka: Is there any scenario in which I don't love this character? The fact that he didn't pull a wisecrack in the middle of the court procession actually made me quite happy: he had learned when it was time to make jokes, and when it was time to be serious.

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I have finished watching Book 1 of LoK (in two days, nonetheless... awesome!). I'm going to put my thoughts on all of it below and in a spoiler box:

Hide contents

Warning! Spoilers for Legend of Korra Book 1.

Reveal hidden contents

The overall plot: I was actually very satisfied with the plot iself. I'm usually more of a character-and-character arc guy, but by the sixth or so episode, I was hooked. I totally expected it to be a remake of TLA, with Korra having to go around and master all four elements, but when they timeskipped to when she had already mastered three, I was like heck yaassssss! I loved the transition of storytelling mediums between the Korra-versus-Amon plot arc and the Fire Ferrets-versus-everyone else plot arc, and then they crossed the two over to set up the villain and stuff... man, I was so satisfied there!

• What'd I think of Amon's anti-bending powers? I thought they were amazing. They were so much cooler and scarier than Ozai's little firebending.
  • What'd I think of Asami's dad being the bad guy (kinda)? I kind of wish I had spotted it sooner. I should've predicted that plot twist!
  • What'd I think of the fight scenes? They were awesomeSo visually pleasing and awesome to follow.
  • What'd I think of the cars? Whoohoo! Cars! Vroom, vroom!

The overall character arc things: I don't tend to follow main-character character arcs that often, but Korra was a very intriguing character, so I did this time. I also followed the other guys (especially Bolin--Mako was secondary), but for once, my main focus was on Korra. Her and Amon; he was scawy, and so I liked him. On the love arcs... well, I didn't need the seventeen love arcs, but I enjoyed them.

• Korra: It's not often that you run into a natural waterbender with a firebender mentality. I made sure to check if her personality made sense with her obvious skill in waterbending, earthbending, and firebending: it checked out. She was less a flowing river when it came to waterbending, and more a churning ocean; check. She could certainly be stubborn as a rock at times; check. And, to quote that one guy from the first episode, not two minutes into it, "she lacks restraint;" firebending, check. Air, of course, is a spiritual element, so the fact that she couldn't do it makes a lot of sense. I was actually hoping (from a plot-and-character perspective) that when Amon took her powers away, that she'd only have airbending to work with (oh, yeah... I also saw the airbending-achievement-unlocked thing after the bending-loss a mile away), so the fact that discount Aang gave her her powers back was kinda... cheap, in my opinion.
  • Mako: The moment he and Korra shared a mutual annoyance, I was like I smell love arc. It didn't go anywhere for awhile, which I respected, but the moment Asami hit him with her moped, I was like I smell love triangle. I knew that he would probably get with Korra in the end, but I was really hoping he'd stick with Asami instead, and Korra would find someone else; or not find anyone at all.
  • Bolin: When I first heard their was an Avatar sequel following the next Avatar in the cycle, my first thought was but who's the Sokka remake? Is he/she going to be a legitimate character, or will it basically be discount sarcasm boy? I immediately pegged Bolin as the next in the line for witty commentary man, but I didn't expect to like him so much. He wasn't just a carbon copy of Sokka; he had his own character, his own sense of humor, and his own tastes in food (noodles, not meat). Overall, I was very satisfied with Bolin's character. I just have one question, though: how the heck did his parents manage to conceive both a firebender and an earthbender son?
  • Asami: The last member of Team Avatar II. I didn't know what to expect for this character, but that's okay, because that meant I got to watch where she went. I was sincerely hoping that she and Korra could have a girl-to-girl and talk about how much they like Mako, but unfortunately, that never happened. I wasn't sure what to think of her revenge arc against her father: I was just kinda meh about it most of the time.
  • Tenzin: Responsable, caring; father figure. He was a father figure for a character who didn't actually need a father figure, because she actually had a father. In any case, I was a fan of this character. He was very airbender-y, but with a comical temper that always caught me off-guard and made me chuckle.
  • Tenzin's Kids (not gonna name them all): I didn't really mind what happened with them, but I did want Jinora to have an arc (she probably will, but didn't in Book I). The entire time, I kind of expected them to be nothing more than slapstick nuisances, but when Amon had them tied up and about to take their bending away, I was like uh, you better not!
  • Lin Beifong: Hoohoo, I loved this character! She was salty on Korra before the first episode was up, and that made me happy! Every time she made an appearance, I was hooked. When she sacrificed herself and her bending to Amon, I was practically dying inside; both out of beloved character arc conclusion, and because she was amazing and I was sad.
  • Tarrlok (is that really how his name is spelled?): I didn't know what to think of him until his bending was taken away. It was kind of hate-like-hate-like-hate....like. Off and on. At first I thought that he was Amon, but... well, I guess I was close enough. His backstory was amazing and I loved it. When he and his brother both had that massively dramatic death with the tear and stuff... man. My siblings were all laughing about it ("oh, just spark the gas tank! Hardy-har!), and I was like SILENCE!!! I NEED THIS MOMENT!!!
  • Amon: Probably the most intriguing and awesome villain I've ever seen since Loki or Thanos. His powerset was amazing and really stakes-setting, which I respected a lot. His communist mindset was interesting, and not perfectly unique, but the way that he portrayed it (alongside his spooky powers) was awesome.
  • Discount Zuko: Iroh was meh. I'll give him that.
  • Gran-Gran Katara: I did not expect her to live that long, but eh, whatever.
  • Flashback Aang: His character made sense (responsible and kind), so I accepted it.
  • Flashback Toph: The moment I saw her, I was like daaaaang, sister! Remember that episode back in TLA, "Tales of Ba-Sing Say," where Katara said she thought Toph was pretty? I didn't expect that to be an Emma Watson "oops, I'm hot now" thing! As a character, though... well, she called Aang twinkle-toes, and therefore I am satisfied. Oh! And she founded those metalbending police people, which was cool.
  • Flashback Sokka: Is there any scenario in which I don't love this character? The fact that he didn't pull a wisecrack in the middle of the court procession actually made me quite happy: he had learned when it was time to make jokes, and when it was time to be serious.

Spoiler
  • The returning of power was maybe weak narratively but is very in character for Aang, and I really liked it that there wasn't much stuff about it.
  • The endgame pairing is better even if they don't kiss.
  • Mako (minor ending spoiler)
  • Spoiler
    • ends up with no one, so you'll get that wish
  • Their mother was a Fire Nation and dad Earth Kingdom.

I do love the first season of Korra, it looses me a bit after the second in terms of plot though. 

The thing I like most about it is the stylistic choices, and the world they live in. I love pro bending, and I think it was a great idea. I love the city too, and like I was saying before the animation and music is a lot better in my opinion. I also really like the way they animate fight scenes.

So ... the animation and the world-building are both top-notch, but I find it narratively so frustrating ...

Every season individually (especially, but not only the first two) just keeps on piling up problems while never bothering to solve one, until by the end (the last three episodes), the writers don't seem to know what to do with them anymore, so they pull something out of thin air and the problems are solved in the most unsatisfying ways. Everything was relentlessly unforgiving to the main characters for 10 episodes straight and then they suddenly get all the powers they needed by just being there/wanting it really bad, or the antagonists being unreasonably stupid.

Korra being captive several times per season on average is tiring and a lazy way to create tension ... Also, not nearly enough character (relationship) development over the course of the series - the main couple at the end in particular is not set up at all, there's practically no love story for them. Calling that representation is a very, very broad usage of that term.

Though I like it more than I make it sound. It's so well-done in so many ways ... but the writing is so indecisive that the end product feels empty to me.

6 hours ago, I Am A Fish said:

Does it remind anyone of Mistbore era 2?

Or is that just me...

2 hours ago, Hentient said:

I do love the first season of Korra, it looses me a bit after the second in terms of plot though. 

The thing I like most about it is the stylistic choices, and the world they live in. I love pro bending, and I think it was a great idea. I love the city too, and like I was saying before the animation and music is a lot better in my opinion. I also really like the way they animate fight scenes.

Putting these in the same comment cuz I think they are both connected. Yes, Fish, for me the way that like time and technology jumps forward from ATLA to LoK was reminding me of the time changes from Era 1 to Era 2. Like it's not exactly connected but the way everything becomes industrialized in LoK where ATLA was more like rural towns and less developed cities was totally reminding of the time shift. Also the way they both sorta center around like a "big city" and stuff was totally connecting for me. 

Ok now Hentient totally agree on stylistic choices and the world. Like I was just saying above just seeing the time shift and the way things evolved and modernized over time is super cool. And pro bending is definitely kinda dope and it totally fits with the theme, like professional athletes are really skilled at their sport and sports have grown as things have modernized. So, it makes sense that as things modernized in LoK benders who were really skilled would also form like "sport" teams. Idk I just thought they did a really good job of making it connect and seem realistic. And 100% the animation is so much better, it's cool that they were able to do like a similar idea and style of show at two different times with different access to technology. And then we get the benefit of seeing how it improved.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first two episodes. Storms, that soundtrack. It's so good. The animation is great, I really like the characters and Korra being sort of an opposite to Aang personality-wise is a really cool idea. I don't know where the plot will go yet but I'm down for mafia and conspiracies, which is what it seems to be hinting to.

• 3 weeks later...

Working on season two right now; I’m not enjoying it as much as season one, though the avatar origin story was a like a breath of fresh air for the entire series. My only problem is that it was wayyyyy to convenient for this season. Oh well. I know that season three is supposed to be great, so I’ll stick it out till then.