Is Hoid Human

Chinkoln

Question

6 answers to this question

I had the same thought at one point, but I dont think it fits what we know.  He was human, and it pretty close still by most definitions.  Also, in another WOJ he called Frost (a confirmed dragon) out for not being Human, but conspicuously not Hoid.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is Hoid human?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Hoid was human a long time ago. Now... it's complicated. We would call him human, and so will pretty much everyone else, but he is not exactly that.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

Questioner

Were Hoid and Frost some of the older humans created by Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

You will find that out eventually… Frost is not a human.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Edited by Quantus

Nope, he's not a dragon

Questioner

My son wants to know if Hoid is a dragon.

Brandon Sanderson

He is not. But he knows some.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 21, 2017)

But there are dragons in the Cosmere, Hoid wrote to one in Oathbringer

Questioner #1 (in Mistborn cosplay)

I was wondering if we were ever going to see dragons in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Dragonsteel, which is one of the first books that I wrote in the Cosmere has dragons. It's also just one of the weaker books, so I can't publish it as is, but yea. Being a big fan of dragons, I did write them into the Cosmere. They are the one kind of generic- kind of the standard fantasy race in there.

Questioner #2

Are they ever going to infiltrate the other worlds kind of?

Brandon Sanderson

Well Hoid writes a letter to one, he calls him you old reptile. And that's in Words of Radiance. So that's a letter to one of the dragons. So they are referenced.

Questioner #3

I thought that was a general insult.

Brandon Sanderson

Nope, he's actually writing to Frost, an old reptile.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

Questioner

Are you ever gonna write a book with dragons in it?

Brandon Sanderson

I have, technically, already written books with dragons in them. Dragons in the cosmere... you've only heard from one. There haven't been... Frost, who is Hoid's old friend from the planet where he grew, is a dragon. And he's the person that he's exchanging letters with. Look for where Hoid calls someone "you old reptile." So, there are dragons in the cosmere. They are shapeshifters. And so you will rarely see them in dragon form until I go back and do Hoid's origin story. Then, you'll see quite a number of them. But you will also see them later on.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

54 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

not possible, as WoB is that he isn't.

The Q&A board doesn't strictly track posts in chronological order; if someone votes an answer up or down it will appear out of order. The line you were responding to was already answered by that WoB, which appears before the post it's responding to due to upvotes. Yeah, it's kind of wonky at times but it ensures that if a 'best' answer is determined it's the first thing people see after the question.

22 hours ago, Weltall said:

The Q&A board doesn't strictly track posts in chronological order; if someone votes an answer up or down it will appear out of order. The line you were responding to was already answered by that WoB, which appears before the post it's responding to due to upvotes. Yeah, it's kind of wonky at times but it ensures that if a 'best' answer is determined it's the first thing people see after the question.

oh, sorry.