Riddles of any kind

Here is where people share their riddles. This is kind of like the Jokes of any kind thread, but for riddles. (I was going to put a riddle in there, and then realized that... it was a riddle)

Anyway, simple rules: (updated)

1. Make sure it's appropriate (obviously)

2. Give the riddle, wait for a couple guesses, and then reveal the answer

3. You have can guess as many times as you'd like

4. Don't guess if you already know the answer

5. If you guess correctly, you get the the prize of: The Satisfaction of a Job Well Done!

Here is my first riddle:

Spoiler

I fall when I'm born,

I lay when I'm alive,

and I run when I'm dead.

What am I?

Edited by Scarletfox

21 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Here is my first riddle:

Hide contents

I fall when I'm born,

I lay when I'm alive,

and I run when I'm dead.

What am I?

My self esteem. 

Who is the killer: 

Spoiler

The police never lies

the killer always lies

the witness lies or tells the truth depending on the situation.

Bob: “I am not the police”

Greg “I am not the killer”

Amy “I am not the witness”

who is the killer? 

Edited by Hentient
I’m dumb and messed up the riddle

8 hours ago, Scarletfox said:

Reveal hidden contents

I fall when I'm born,

I lay when I'm alive,

and I run when I'm dead.

What am I?

It's snow!

8 hours ago, Hentient said:

My self esteem. 

Lol

8 hours ago, Hentient said:

Who is the killer: 

Reveal hidden contents

The police never lies

the killer always lies

Bob: “I am not the police”

Greg “I am not the killer”

Amy “I am not the witness”

who is the killer? 

The answer:

Spoiler

The killer always lies, if he said "I am not the police" or "I am not the witness", those would both be true statements, so the killer can't be either of those speakers

The police never lies, "I am not the police", can't be the police, so they must be the witness

Bob is the witness

Greg is the killer

Amy is the police

I am a father's child, a mother's child and yet no one's son am I, who am I? 

Edited by Honorless

4 minutes ago, Honorless said:

A father's child, a mother's child, yet no one's son

That’s because it’s a daughter, not a son! 

Okay so this is a famous riddle so you all might have heard of it, but it’s Einstein’s riddle. 

Spoiler

Situation:

1. There are 5 houses in five different colors.
  2. In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
  3. These five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.
  4. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage.

The question is: who owns the fish?

Hints: 

• the Brit lives in the red house
  • the Swede keeps dogs as pets
  • the Dane drinks tea
  • the green house is on the left of the white house
  • the green house's owner drinks coffee
  • the person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
  • the owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
  • the man living in the center house drinks milk
  • the Norwegian lives in the first house
  • the man who smokes blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
  • the man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill
  • the owner who smokes BlueMaster drinks beer
  • the German smokes Prince
  • the Norwegian lives next to the blue house
  • the man who smokes blend has a neighbor who drinks water

My dad told it to me to keep me quiet one day. It took me hours to solve it. By then end I had so many charts and lists surrounding me, I felt like a conspiracy theorist.

Just now, Condensation said:

Going to bed, I'll have it in the morning. Just writing down the facts so my subconscious can puzzle it out while I sleep.

Same. I'll be heading to bed soon too, but will spend time on this tomorrow for sure.

5 hours ago, Hentient said:

That’s because it’s a daughter, not a son! 

Okay so this is a famous riddle so you all might have heard of it, but it’s Einstein’s riddle. 

Hide contents

Situation:

1. There are 5 houses in five different colors.
  2. In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
  3. These five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.
  4. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage.

The question is: who owns the fish?

Hints: 

• the Brit lives in the red house
  • the Swede keeps dogs as pets
  • the Dane drinks tea
  • the green house is on the left of the white house
  • the green house's owner drinks coffee
  • the person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
  • the owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
  • the man living in the center house drinks milk
  • the Norwegian lives in the first house
  • the man who smokes blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
  • the man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill
  • the owner who smokes BlueMaster drinks beer
  • the German smokes Prince
  • the Norwegian lives next to the blue house
  • the man who smokes blend has a neighbor who drinks water

My dad told it to me to keep me quiet one day. It took me hours to solve it. By then end I had so many charts and lists surrounding me, I felt like a conspiracy theorist.

The Answer:

Spoiler

German-green-Prince-Coffee-fish

The Solution:

Spoiler
Nationality Norwegian Dane Brit German Swede
Color yellow blue red green white
Brand Dunhill blends Pall Mall Prince Bluemaster
Beverage Water tea Milk Coffee beer
Pet cats horses birds fish dogs

21 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Here, a twisted version of @Hentient's riddle:

3 people again:

The police never lies

the killer always lies

Bob: “I am the police”

Greg “I am the killer”

Amy “I am the witness”

who is the killer? 

Spoiler

Bob - Police

Greg - Witness

Amy - Killer

Edited by The_Truthwatcher

15 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:
  Hide contents

Bob - Police

Greg - Witness

Amy - Killer

That is correct! 

Spoiler

Bob: “I am the police” could be police/witness/killer

Greg “I am the killer” either police/witness, because the killer always lies; but it can't be the police, because the police can't lie, hence Greg's the witness

Amy “I am the witness” either witness/killer, but Greg is the witness, making Amy the killer

Edited by Honorless

38 minutes ago, Honorless said:

This feels like a correct answer to me, even if it's not the intended or expected one

Sand doesn't swim in a waterless sea. Although, I do have to give Truthless credit for creativity, I think almost could be an answer. I could sea (pun intended) how you would think that sand is in a waterless sea (itself), but it's also in a normal sea of water. Sooo, I think I'll give half credit for that one.

It's not air, but that one is also close. You're on the right path.

Edited by Scarletfox

39 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Sand doesn't swim in a waterless sea. Although, I do have to give Truthless credit for creativity, I think almost could be an answer. I could sea (pun intended) how you would think that sand is in a waterless sea (itself), but it's also in a normal sea of water. Sooo, I think I'll give half credit for that one.

It's not air, but that one is also close. You're on the right path.

My thought was like a desert, which could be referred to as a “waterless sea”, and as a whole, is larger than a mountain, but each individual grain of sand would be smaller than a pea.

Other than that... I’m stumped at the moment

6 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

The Answer:

Reveal hidden contents

German-green-Prince-Coffee-fish

The Solution:

Reveal hidden contents
Nationality Norwegian Dane Brit German Swede
Color yellow blue red green white
Brand Dunhill blends Pall Mall Prince Bluemaster
Beverage Water tea Milk Coffee beer
Pet cats horses birds fish dogs

Correct! Good job! 

Just now, Truthless of Shinovar said:

My thought was like a desert, which could be referred to as a “waterless sea”, and as a whole, is larger than a mountain, but each individual grain of sand would be smaller than a pea.

Ok, ok, that's a good point. That's a really good point. (I'm thinking I'll have to make another rendition of this riddle with sand as the answer) I think I'll give you full credit for that one. The actual answer was

Spoiler

A meteor

Next riddle:

Spoiler

You're in a room with three light switches. You may turn them on or off as many times as you like. There is a door to a room with a single lightbulb in it. Once you go through that door, you may not return into the first room. One of the light switches goes to the lightbulb, the other two do nothing. Which light switch goes to the lightbulb? (your goal is not to turn the lightbulb on, but to find out which light switch works)

For all of you riddle killers (you won't need any of this information to solve the riddle, this is just for engineers): The room is titanium. You do not have any tools, so you may not take things apart and rewire them. The two rooms are separated by a hallway, with a door on each end. The doors do not have windows. You may not hold the door open and play with the light switches at the same time. Once you go through a door, it shuts and locks behind you automatically. The doors are airtight so you may not look underneath to see the light on the other side. The riddle is solved logically, so don't try to physically change any part of the setting.

4 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Ok, ok, that's a good point. That's a really good point. (I'm thinking I'll have to make another rendition of this riddle with sand as the answer) I think I'll give you full credit for that one. The actual answer was

Reveal hidden contents

A meteor

Next riddle:

Reveal hidden contents

You're in a room with three light switches. You may turn them on or off as many times as you like. There is a door to a room with a single lightbulb in it. Once you go through that door, you may not return into the first room. One of the light switches goes to the lightbulb, the other two do nothing. Which light switch goes to the lightbulb? (your goal is not to turn the lightbulb on, but to find out which light switch works)

For all of you riddle killers (you won't need any of this information to solve the riddle, this is just for engineers): The room is titanium. You do not have any tools, so you may not take things apart and rewire them. The two rooms are separated by a hallway, with a door on each end. The doors do not have windows. You may not hold the door open and play with the light switches at the same time. Once you go through a door, it shuts and locks behind you automatically. The doors are airtight so you may not look underneath to see the light on the other side. The riddle is solved logically, so don't try to physically change any part of the setting.

OHHHHH. That makes a lot of sense.

Spoiler

I forget the exact mechanics, but I know it’s got something to do with leaving one light on and then checking the heat of the bulbs after ten minutes or so

3 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Hide contents

I forget the exact mechanics, but I know it’s got something to do with leaving one light on and then checking the heat of the bulbs after ten minutes or so

Basically.

Spoiler

You turn on light switch number one for five minutes, and then turn on light switch number two. You go into the room. If it's on, it's light switch number two. If it's off, feel the lightbulb. If it's hot, it's light switch number one, if it's cold, it's light switch number three.

Here's another one:

Spoiler

There was once a maid working for a rich lady who loved chickpeas. Sometimes, while the maid was working, she would pop some of the lady's chick peas into her mouth. The rich lady began to suspect that the maid was stealing chickpeas, so one day, she left a chickpea out on the ground to see how the maid would react. When the maid came by to sweep, she saw the chickpea, picked it up, and said two words that convinced the rich lady that the maid had nothing to do with the disappearing chickpeas. What were those two words.

Hint:

Spoiler

One of the words is a contraction.

Edited by Scarletfox