Speculating on Era 3

Halyo_Alex

I think by era 3, natural magic is gonna be diluted even further, but technological magic is going to be enhanced.

Between eras 1 and 2, we lost Mistborn - the sDNA was diluted, so now there's just ferrings and mistings. I think the same will continue to happen, as mistings and ferrings become even rarer, to the point where we barely have any twinborn, maybe none.

On the other hand, technological uses are going to skyrocket. We're seeing the start of this, with the medallions, but it's going to extend from there - there's going to be ways of obtaining powers that someone wasn't born with, and of having machines and devices use the powers.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:19 AM, Oltux72 said:

There are multiple kinds of elite. In this case power shifts from the genetic elite to the elite with money.

My issue with calling people with money the elite is that it makes it sound like they didn’t earn it. Most wealthy people worked hard to become wealthy, and it isn’t right to denigrate that just because they had the good fortune to become successful. (Yes, I know a lot of first generation millionaires. You’d never guess because more than half live in walk ups and they don’t flaunt it.)

12 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Most wealthy people worked hard to become wealthy,

[citation needed]

Strong disagree IRL, but that's not a discussion for this board.

*Definitely* not true in Mistborn Era 1, where the only way to become nobility was to inherit it. Still mostly untrue in Era 2, where they remark that most of the leadership is descended from the nobility even though technically that's not a requirement; that's why it was a big deal that Aradel was the first non-noble Governor. As far as I can tell, most of the characters in Era 2 who are wealthy inherited a pretty good start on that wealth.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, ftl said:

I think by era 3, natural magic is gonna be diluted even further, but technological magic is going to be enhanced.

Between eras 1 and 2, we lost Mistborn - the sDNA was diluted, so now there's just ferrings and mistings. I think the same will continue to happen, as mistings and ferrings become even rarer, to the point where we barely have any twinborn, maybe none.

On the other hand, technological uses are going to skyrocket. We're seeing the start of this, with the medallions, but it's going to extend from there - there's going to be ways of obtaining powers that someone wasn't born with, and of having machines and devices use the powers.

IIRC correctly, I think there’s a WoB that says that the power has pretty much diluted as much as it’s gonna, and that what we see in Era 2 is the weakest we’ll ever see allomancy and feruchemy. I can’t check right now, but I’ll see if I can find it later.

21 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

My issue with calling people with money the elite is that it makes it sound like they didn’t earn it. Most wealthy people worked hard to become wealthy, and it isn’t right to denigrate that just because they had the good fortune to become successful. (Yes, I know a lot of first generation millionaires. You’d never guess because more than half live in walk ups and they don’t flaunt it.)

Well, that need not be true on Scadrial. Scadrial is practising some kind of industrial aristocracy with the rich making the laws that suit them. There is a way to make new titles, but basically houses that were already wealthy under the Final Empire (Tekiel) still running things indicates a lower level of social mobility.

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, that need not be true on Scadrial. Scadrial is practising some kind of industrial aristocracy with the rich making the laws that suit them. There is a way to make new titles, but basically houses that were already wealthy under the Final Empire (Tekiel) still running things indicates a lower level of social mobility.

Then we should specify ‘on Scadrial.’ Otherwise it’s an indictment of the real world people as well.

13 hours ago, ftl said:

[citation needed]

Strong disagree IRL, but that's not a discussion for this board.

*Definitely* not true in Mistborn Era 1, where the only way to become nobility was to inherit it. Still mostly untrue in Era 2, where they remark that most of the leadership is descended from the nobility even though technically that's not a requirement; that's why it was a big deal that Aradel was the first non-noble Governor. As far as I can tell, most of the characters in Era 2 who are wealthy inherited a pretty good start on that wealth.

Everyone wealthy I know is descended from Holocaust survivors who built themselves up from less than nothing within three generations. No family, major trauma, often with badly interrupted education and major physical and psychological issues as a result of, I don’t know, going through Hell on Earth? You really want to imply they don’t deserve what they earned?

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Then we should specify ‘on Scadrial.’ Otherwise it’s an indictment of the real world people as well.

Everyone wealthy I know is descended from Holocaust survivors who built themselves up from less than nothing within three generations. No family, major trauma, often with badly interrupted education and major physical and psychological issues as a result of, I don’t know, going through Hell on Earth? You really want to imply they don’t deserve what they earned?

Y’know, I love getting into arguments, But I think the shard mods don’t. There was a thread where the mods had to break up some arguements that were dragging on too long and got a tad off topic. Is there a place in the shard where you can argue with people? Cuz that would be nice.

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Y’know, I love getting into arguments, But I think the shard mods don’t. There was a thread where the mods had to break up some arguements that were dragging on too long and got a tad off topic. Is there a place in the shard where you can argue with people? Cuz that would be nice.

I’d call it debating. There really should be a place for reasonable debate. We could always PM if we want to continue the discussion.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:02 AM, HSuperLee said:

But then you'll still have those naturally born with the power, thus circumventing the need to pay for it, and thus they might be seen as even more elite. After all, an bloodmaker would only need to buy the power to burn gold while others would need to buy both allomancy and feruchemy. Plus, if they have "safe" hemalurgy (which I'm personally against, but I understand its probably at some level inevitable because it's too tempting of a hack) a bloodmaker could sell their services. Essentially, you could have a bloodmaker born with nothing raise themself to prosperity by the time they're a teenager. Yes, F-gold is the most obviously useful, but even duralumin gnats would have their powers being sought out to make more medallions. The only power that seems like it wouldn't lead to wealth is A-aluminum, and that's only because we haven't yet found a use for it. 

A-aluminum is a purifier. It’s use won’t be a big deal until the Cosmere really starts overlapping.

• 1 month later...

Here's a thought: a Cadmium Misting could use their bubble of slowed-down time as a form of suspended animation. They hole up at a secluded cabin somewhere with plenty of food, water, and several crates worth of cadmium beads. They spend a few months there, constantly burning cadmium, so that when they finally stop and head back into society, its a hundred years later and they get to experience the wonders of a futuristic world.

That could be a handy way to have certain characters (for instance, Marasi) survive from one era to another, without needing to hand out immortality to one and all.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, Ookla the Steampunked said:

IIRC correctly, I think there’s a WoB that says that the power has pretty much diluted as much as it’s gonna, and that what we see in Era 2 is the weakest we’ll ever see allomancy and feruchemy. I can’t check right now, but I’ll see if I can find it later.

Citation provided for future reference:

Questioner

In Mistborn, as the Eras are going on, the powers get diluted because of people passing down the bloodlines. Once we reach the Third and Fourth Era, the powers are going to be--won't they be a lot weaker, and not very useful?

Brandon Sanderson

They will become weaker, but there's a maximum level of dilution... There's a maximum level that you can reach pretty quickly, if you're only counting the northern continent. Because of the limited number of progenitors.

So, Era 3 we're not going to have a problem. And they're also trying to figure out ways around this.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

So yeah, Scadrial's allomantic and feruchemical sDNA is about as dilute as it's going to get and it won't be more extreme in Era 3.

14 hours ago, Raven Wilder said:

Here's a thought: a Cadmium Misting could use their bubble of slowed-down time as a form of suspended animation.

Brandon has confirmed that this is a viable form of 'time travel' into the future. There have been some interesting discussions and thought experiments on the board regarding how nested bubbles could be used to further extend the effect.