Soulcasting your soul [Spoilers for FE and WoK, maybe?]

Chinkoln

Question

Alright, there are like a hundred WoB out there telling you about atium compounding. Essentially, The Lord Ruler’s body was young but his soul was old. When he lost his metalminds his soul said “Time to kill myself and become 1000 years old in the next few minutes”. What if a soulcaster, whether a fabrial or a Radiant, came to Scadrial and changed his soul. Would it be possible to soulcast someone’s soul into believing that it is younger than it actually is?

7 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Alright, there are like a hundred WoB out there telling you about atium compounding. Essentially, The Lord Ruler’s body was young but his soul was old. When he lost his metalminds his soul said “Time to kill myself and become 1000 years old in the next few minutes”. What if a soulcaster, whether a fabrial or a Radiant, came to Scadrial and changed his soul. Would it be possible to soulcast someone’s soul into believing that it is younger than it actually is?

Did you mean a Soulforger?

6 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

No, I legit mean a soul caster comes into the Cognitive Realm where your soul is and convinces your spirit to be younger.

Age is recorded in the Spiritweb (and the Physical body too, of course) but then again, so is matter composition, and if one can precipitate a change like that, including in living beings, including humans, then possibly, yeah. We don't know much about the Surge of Transformation. You might have to break into the coding of the Surge to make it work, as it seems geared towards composition.

I don't think Soulcasting is geared for the incredible amount of things that the spiritweb seems to use to determine your true age. Age is part of your Connection to places, people and time and you're going to have tons of those. Bear in mind that the one application of feruchemy that we know manipulates Connection specifically would not be able to pull off a stunt like that. Brandon mentions that there is some way Rashek could have used Connection manipulation to affect his age but Brandon describes it as being actively difficult, meaning a simple one-and-done application of any single magic system just isn't likely to cut it.

Edited by Weltall

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Theoretically maybe.  In practice I kind of doubt it.  The level of precision required is simply too high.  Forgery might be able to do that although I think it would still be a challenge.

I suspect it would be too much of a change for forgery.  a few days, or even weeks here or there might be workable, but years....the amount of history change needed for years of age change would be a lot.