Dresden_Stormblessed

Your BEST recipes

22 posts in this topic

So I'm a huge foodie and my "hero's quest" is this...

Build a spreadsheet full of only 10/10 recipes. You know the stuff. You take a bite and your eyes roll to the back of your head and you can't help but just stop and savour it.

To get things started, my favorite cookie recipe of all time:
WORST Chocolate chip cookies

These bad boys own my soul, no joke. I cannot stop making them. They are that good.

What are your all-time favorite recipes? Possibly something from the Cosmere? I'm also open for suggestions on places to eat out and items to try if they really are that good.

Note: The rating system that helps me is the following since numbering/starring them is so arbitrary: Hate, don't like, like, really like, love, crave.
I seek the craves out there. Bring it on!

May I present to you possibly the greatest dessert of all time: Cookie Dough Cake

(this is the same recipe I shared in DramaQueen's AMA)

Oh boy do I love me some recipes!! 

So this is a French bread recipe that I’ve been making for a long time. I have it memorized so this is my best attempt to write it down. It is literally the best bread I have ever tasted and it’s so easy (I know every baker says this about their recipes, but this one really is the best).

Spoiler

French bread: 

2 Tablespoons yeast

2 1/2 cups hot water 

3 Tablespoons sugar 

1 Tablespoon salt

5 Tablespoons oil (vegetable) 

6 cups flour (Keep in mind I live at a high altitude drier climate so if you live somewhere humid you might want to add a little bit more flour)

1. Mix in the ingredients in the order listed. This isn’t a picky recipe so you can use any kind of yeast/oil/flour. 
  2. Once ingredients are mixed, let rise for about 1 hr
  3. Divide dough in half, and form 2 loaves 

- To form a loaf, roll out dough on a flowered or oiled surface like cookie dough, and roll it up. (Similar to how you prepare cinnamon rolls) pinch the dough where it ends to keep it from falling apart. (if this is confusing, there are plenty of videos on the YouTube that will explain it better) 

1. Put the loaves on a sprayed cookie sheet (I use a French bread pan but either will work fine)  and let rise for another 30 min 
  2. After it has risen, score the top of the French bread with diagonal cuts.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 25 min
  4. Tada!

And then here is a recipe for amazing no bake peanutbutter-chocolate-oatmeal cookies. 

Spoiler

Combine the folowing in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil: 

2 cups sugar 

1/2 cup milk 

1/2 cup butter 

1/8 teaspoon salt 

Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add: 

2 teaspoons vanilla 

1 cup peanut butter 

1/2 cup chocolate chips (or 1/4 cup cocoa powder)

3 cups of oats 

Stir well, drop by spoonful onto wax paper or foil. Let cool and enjoy!

I crave the bread on a daily basis, my parents have me make it about twice a week (I’m not kidding. It’s. Good.)  
And I really like the cookies, I crave them once and a while, but mostly just really really like them. (My family hates me when I make them though, cause they have no self control and the cookies are gone in a day)

Edited by Hentient
Ratings!

18 hours ago, FriarFritz said:

May I present to you possibly the greatest dessert of all time: Cookie Dough Cake

(this is the same recipe I shared in DramaQueen's AMA)

So you pasteurize the eggs before they go into the cookie dough in order to make it safer to eat? If so, that's very interesting!

@Hentient: I've been on a huge bread craving recently so I will certainly try this one out. I'm looking for a go-to bread recipe that I can memorize and hopefully, I've found it. Thank you! As for PB No-bakes, I freaking love them. I may have to try yours out since it looks tempting...it has more vanilla, butter, and chocolate than mine so I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

@FriarFritz: I just noticed this: Does that mean I use 1 1/3 cup of shortening, margarine, or oil AND 1 1/3 of margarine, butter, or oil?

So 2 2/3 cups fat be it an equal combo or margarine, butter, oil, or shortening? This looks like a calorie overload hahaha

It's kind of a confusing recipe...I got lost a few times. Help?

Edited by Dresden_Stormblessed
I got lost reading it.

4 hours ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

@FriarFritz: I just noticed this: Does that mean I use 1 1/3 cup of shortening, margarine, or oil AND 1 1/3 of margarine, butter, or oil?

So 2 2/3 cups fat be it an equal combo or margarine, butter, oil, or shortening? This looks like a calorie overload hahaha

It's kind of a confusing recipe...I got lost a few times. Help?

When I've made it, I use 1 1/3 cup margarine and 1 1/3 cup shortening. It is a very large recipe (enough cookie dough for two cakes, as noted).

Is there anything else that was confusing?

You'll never get MY best recipes! Not without a fight...TO THE DEATH! 

I make a lot of random recipes I find online (to the despair of my mother who doesn't understand why I can't just use her and grandma's recipes.  They're good recipes, but also pretty bland.  Nice for like.....cornbread....but not much else).

This is one from the Interwebs that I have made that I FREAKING LOVED:

Teriyaki Salmon with sriracha cream

If you like fish and you like a lil spice, go for it.

Edited by Zelly

@FriarFritz I think that answers it. Thank you!

@Zelly I grew up in a home where mom was terrified of spices so literally everything was bland. We'll be making the Salmon ASAP. Looks delicious!

These are my go-to cookies. 

Spoiler

2DB9DE15-FD5A-4B15-AD91-E48FAEFB0F3C.jpeg.c9a020f9f5e2d4b06e764c93f20406e9.jpeg1362913D-825D-48C7-B55F-50F2CC35982A.thumb.jpeg.03c6622068515778696fc2cdbef796d9.jpeg

They are very very good, but they can be a bit finicky. I think the biggest determining factor is the size of the cookies and how long you bake them. And you have to be sure to be fast so the dough doesn’t dry out. 

While those are my go-to cookies, these are my favorite cookies.

Spoiler

7084B580-3190-4CB9-A2BD-5DAB69C61F5E.thumb.jpeg.2a66eabc614d29bd65f573463808f259.jpeg7781B565-9E73-4B1D-8C6C-94C5EC2C83E0.thumb.jpeg.c492f1a9bb22425609c5c192e8e9cf14.jpeg

And these are much harder to mess up. It does take a bit of practice to make the right size ball, but there’s a wide margin of error. The recipe says to put the peanut butter cups in after you bake them, but I always do it before. I don’t think it makes a huge difference either way.

Edited by Dannex

On the topic of cookies, here's a great recipe. 

Spoiler

Ingredients:

Chocolate Cookies

Spikes

Edited by Experience Animation

On 2/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, Experience Animation said:

On the topic of cookies, here's a great recipe. 

Reveal hidden contents

Ingredients:

Chocolate Cookies

Spikes

That. I. What. No. That's funny. But. Please no.

Not a recipe but a kind of hack I had to do. I had gotten a lobster, it was presteamed so I just had to reheat it, but I didn’t have a cracker or a chef’s knife to help open it so I resorted to using a can opener and a butter knife. It worked wonders since I’d never tried to do lobster at home, I’ve done it at Red Lobster, and I got the majority of the meat pretty fast. I didn’t want to bother with the body/head meat and deal with serious cleaning for a tiny bit of meat so I did just the claw, knuckle and tail. Probably took about 20 minutes from first getting it out of the oven to final cleaning to make sure no shell was on it.

am I  allowed to present some great desert cookies? Here you go with the best little bites cookies and pastries you won't eat anything like this again

So one of my roommates is gluten free and another doesn't like chocolate. Does anyone have any simple (and cheap) gf and chocolate-free dessert recipes?

meringue cookies:

preheat oven to 250°F. whisk 2 egg whites until soft peaks form (adding lemon juice of cream of tartar at the beginning is recommended), add 100g (1/2 cup) of sugar in spoonfuls, whisking in thoroughly between additions (superfine sugar is the best, but any granulated sugar will work). add vanilla extract to taste (~1/2 tsp), whisk to stiff peaks. put spoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking tray (wetting the spoon will help the meringue to not stick) and bake for infinity hours (actually just like 2). an electric mixer (or even one of those eggbeater things with the crank and the two interlocking whisks) is *highly* reccommended for this recipe, though it is possible (if a workout) without one.

make custard (which I don't have a recipe for memorized) with the yolks or something

(this one was for @revelryintheart)

Edited by Doomstick

Gf and no chocolate? Challenge accepted. Peanut Butter No-bakes

Oats are gluten free but they might be contaminated with gluten because of the facility they are packaged in so make sure to get gluten-free oats. These suckers are delicious. I would suggest only using sugar-free peanut butter unless you have a truly strong sweettooth. I actually like these better than normal no-bakes.

I am an insane addict to historical recipies, and while I can't pick a definite favorite, there are two YouTube channels that I hit up quite frequently for recipies.  Townsend's and Tasting History.  I've made several dishes from both, and have not been disappointed except by my own lack of skill at certain things.

As far as my own recipie, there's Macaroni and Cheese Pizza.

Spoiler

Take two boxes of macaroni and prepare them according to the box.  Then add two eggs and spread it out in a baking pan.  Bake for about 15 minutes, or until it sets but doesn't brown, then remove from the oven and add tomato sauce and whatever toppings you like.  I usually do it with bacon, pepperoni, and Italian sausage, but really almost anything works.  Cover it with your favorite shredded cheese, then bake it until the cheese is melted and has some nice brown spots.  Super easy, and my whole family loves it, including two picky teenagers.

Edited by Malim
I really can't spell....

DID SOMEONE SAY TOWNSENDS AND TASTING HISTORY?!?!?!??!

i have a good but hot spicy chicken recipe thats simple and easy to do but im sure everyone else probably knows how to do anyway

store bought chicken legs/drumsticks or chicken wings along with a bottle of buffalo wing sauce then cook them for a few minutes.  That and homemade pretzels and other simple stuf