Bloodmakers or Surgebinders getting Jacked

MasterK-Bob

Question

This question basically related to whether it would be easier for a surgebinder with access to stormlight or a bloodmaker with plenty of health stored up to get absolutely jacked or in totally insane mundane shape by lifting weights or going on runs at top speed while healing or burning stormlight. Like, could they heal the body as fast as they break it down and, assuming they have adequate nutrition, just get in insane shape, or  does the stormlight heal their body is such a way that the fast recovery time can't be used to just like, get a month's worth of lifting in a day without strain?

8 answers to this question

Neither would do it, in this case.  Both are examples of Spiritual Healing, which is not the classic accelerated cellular processes type so it cannot give you the benefits of from the damage & recovery cycle of weightlifting.  It's closer to restoring your body from a backup, your Platonic Ideal as it exists int he spiritual realm, but the damage your body took is directly UnDone as you are restored to your Ideal, meaning it will not be able to Change that Ideal into a more muscular version of yourself. 

Bloodsealing ReSealing could probably do it (would take advanced medical degrees worth of physiology), as could normal personal history style Soulstamp forgery (of course).

Edited by Quantus

15 hours ago, Quantus said:

Bloodsealing could probably do it (would take advanced medical degrees worth of physiology), as could Soulstamp forgery (of course).

I think you made a mistake here? We don't know enough about Bloodsealing to say that. In Emperor's Soul, we see it being used to command Skeletals and seal people in a room by putting a seal on the door with their blood as ink.

Edited by Honorless

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

I think you made a mistake here? We don't know enough about Bloodsealing to say that. In Emperor's Soul, we see it being used to command Skeletals and seal people in a room by putting a seal on the door with their blood as ink.

No, You are right.  I meant "ReSealing", the sub-specialty of Mai Pon Forgery they use for healing.  Given that you need to precisely know every tissue to do it right, I assume there is more danger/freedom to make small mistakes/changes, which for a skilled enough person could include functionally increased muscle mass.  

On 8/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Quantus said:

Neither would do it, in this case.  Both are examples of Spiritual Healing, ... closer to restoring your body from a backup, your Platonic Ideal as it exists int he spiritual realm, but the damage your body took is directly UnDone as you are restored to your Ideal, meaning it will not be able to Change that Ideal into a more muscular version of yourself. 

Bing...

On 8/13/2020 at 1:51 AM, StanLemon said:

A-Pewter would probably be the best way to do it as its healing is just a supercharged normal healing, plus you could work out harder and longer because of Pewter's other aspects

...oh!

On 8/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, Karger said:

If you worked out with stormlight it would actually undo all the progress you make as you make it.  Forgery could save you a work out certainly.  Just make a stamp that said you worked out previously and exaggerate a little.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Quantus said:

Neither would do it, in this case.  Both are examples of Spiritual Healing, which is not the classic accelerated cellular processes type so it cannot give you the benefits of from the damage & recovery cycle of weightlifting.  It's closer to restoring your body from a backup, your Platonic Ideal as it exists int he spiritual realm, but the damage your body took is directly UnDone as you are restored to your Ideal, meaning it will not be able to Change that Ideal into a more muscular version of yourself. 

Bloodsealing ReSealing could probably do it (would take advanced medical degrees worth of physiology), as could normal personal history style Soulstamp forgery (of course).

So I'm currently on my reread of Stormlight and I don't think this is right. Spiritual restore points are an interesting theory, but I think things are more flexible than that. I think my original question about hacking the system to get incredibly strong probably is a no, but I think you could get stronger faster, just not way faster than you would expect. Because of the significance of your perception and your cognitive aspect, I think that you would still get jacked as much as you would expect from the working out, and you could recover faster. I think it's pretty clear Kaladin doesn't undo all his hard work from bridge-carrying and getting in great shape from practice when he sucks in stormlight and recovers quickly, but at the same time, he does get in progressively better shape. So I would say your own perception prevents serious hacking of the system, but stormlight certainly restores you not to the way you were at some point in the past, but to how you perceive you should be if everything is as it should be, including the positive things you did to make yourself stronger.