Rhythm of War: Chapter 6 Observations

Clarity-Art

After some deliberation, I've decided to move my RoW musings over from the main discussion index and isolate them here. I'm always late to the party because I don't live in the Eastern time zone, and I'm insanely intimidated by all the intellectual discussion happening. I'm just a tiny little Truthwatcher who wants to record her findings, that's all. Anyways, onto some takeaways that I got from Chapter 6!

1. I'm not surprised that Veil supported Adolin's decision to assassinate Sadeas, even though the other personalities don't agree. There's a poetic sense of justice in her decision to kill Ialai. She does have a point in noting that Dalinar and Jasnah need to focus on Alethkar, but does Veil have the authority to do that? 

2. Leshwi, in a nutshell: Finally, a worthy opponent! Our battle will be legendary! In all seriousness, though, her battle sequences with Kaladin have been the most gripping ones so far. 

3. Getting a glimpse at Renarin's current situation and how his abilities differ from authentic Truthwatchers was intriguing. I'm a Truthwatcher, and I'd love to learn more about their order, their Ideals, and how their Surgebinding abilities manifest. 

4. A lot of people have been discussing Navani's ability to hear a "tone" when Dalinar opens the perpendicularities. This chapter shows that it's not something isolated to her, but I still feel like it's a massive sign of foreshadowing for her character arc in this book. Along with her quest to understand the secrets of the tower, I'm more and more convinced of the theory that Navani might stumble upon the Sibling in her research. 

5. Ew, Moash is here? I mean, it makes sense, considering he interacted with Leshwi in Oathbrniger, but why? Nothing good is going to happen as long as he's around. I've got a bad feeling about this.  

6. I feel like Leshwi is fast becoming one of those character whom you don't like, but you admire them for their actions and discernment. Although she and Kaladin are on opposite sides of the battlefield, Brandon characterized them so well that you can clearly see how much they respect each other. 

This week's observations are a bit short because there was only one chapter. Since chapters seven and eight have been released to the public, I'll probably skip over those and write my observations on Chapter 9. Thanks for reading these ramblings, Radiants! 

I am really likeing Kaladin and Leshwi fights. Whish got more Syl talking but that ok for now. These first 6 chapters have been just so great. Moash I think he is going to go insain mabye not this book but I do think he will completley brake a d Kaladin and Leshwi may have to kill him together. 

Shallan is so good I really like how Brandon is writti g her different now with the three personalitys as thier own person very interesting. I cant wait to read about Adolin. 

I am really hoping  Renarin has a much bigger role in this book. I think mabye he could help her some of the fused on our side with his  unique bond

1 hour ago, Clarity-Art said:

5. Ew, Moash is here? I mean, it makes sense, considering he interacted with Leshwi in Oathbrniger, but why? Nothing good is going to happen as long as he's around. I've got a bad feeling about this.  

6. I feel like Leshwi is fast becoming one of those character whom you don't like, but you admire them for their actions and discernment. Although she and Kaladin are on opposite sides of the battlefield, Brandon characterized them so well that you can clearly see how much they respect each other. 

The proximity makes me laugh. Moash is the bad guy to admire, here. He's Kaladin's foil, not Leshwi, and I can't wait to see more of him. Especially after what we see in chapters 7 and 8 (Brandon's readings). If we're getting one chapter per week, we're going to have to wait until September 8 to find out more, though (chapter 10).

Then, Truthwatchers. From here, their description:

Truthwatcher oaths are themed around seeking to find ultimate truth and sharing it. They are very concerned with knowledge and the proper exploitation of it. Note that this should not be confused with the Lightweavers, whose oaths are themed toward personal truths about themselves, said for reasons of self-actualization. Truthwatchers are more concerned with the fundamental truths of the universe, and whether or not those in power are being truthful with the people they lead.

The Truthwatchers are seen as quiet, largely known as the most scholarly Order of Knights Radiant. They tend to attract scientists primarily, but also scholars or thinkers of all types. This extends to some who might not normally be known as scholarly but instead as someone often consumed by their own thoughts. In general, they tend to be reserved, particularly in person, though a small minority of Truthwatchers are greatly concerned with the actions of the powerful and might be likened to investigative reporters. These make their opinions known loudly and forcefully, particularly if they think someone in power is abusing that power or lying about fundamental truths. Note that, as with all Knights Radiant, there is great disagreement within the Order about what is the truth. However, Truthwatchers tend to approach these discussions with enthusiasm, even if they generally prefer to write their opinions rather than speak them. Among the Knights Radiant, the Truthwatchers tend to be those who hold the knowledge and secrets of Surgebinding and are the ones to discover many of the newer advances in things like fabrial technology.

Of course Navani immediately springs to mind, and in fact when I first read this, she is who I thought it was describing. But there comes another.

From the chapter itself:

“I like big ideas, Brightness. Keeps my job from getting boring.”

In fact, Rushu—who paid attention to the oddest things, but never seemed to notice important details—might have once seen this man in their ranks.

A challenger emerges! I wouldn't be surprised to see a Truthwatcher spren, or several, hanging around Navani, not to bond her, but to bond the kind of people who she brings together. I thought Navani's description as a networker more than a scholar in her own right was a fake-out before she became a Truthwatcher, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe she is the nexus of Radiants, but not a Radiant herself. A somewhat cruel fate, if true.

Ahem. If Navani is a Truthwatcher, you heard it here first (probably). If Rushu is a Truthwatcher, you definitely heard it here, first.

I think it would be a neat subversion if Navani turns out to be a Truthwatcher! A lot of people theorize she'll end up bonding the Sibling and become the second Bondsmith, but for some reason, thinking about that possibility just didn't fit her character for me. She and Renarin both fit the description of the Truthwatchers really well. Even if she doesn't become a Radiant, having her serve as that nexus helps her bring unity and parallel Dalinar's actions on a smaller scale. 

On 8/12/2020 at 7:31 AM, Rainier said:

Maybe she is the nexus of Radiants, but not a Radiant herself.

The Sibling could also be slumbering somewhere distant, where even if Navani would be someone that would have been bonded in other times, they won't be in current time due to the distance.
Also leads to the possibility of the Sibling eventually meeting Navani and commenting along the lines of "Now this is someone I would've bonded with, in another time"

I have long thought that the Navani/Sibling theory is a likely one, particularly if the Urithiru/Fabrial analogy is correct. As we get to know her own "brokenness" throughout this book, and what drives her--I hope we learn about what drove the Sibling away. In many ways, Navani seems to me a marriage of Honor and Cultivation--intellectual curiosity, making things, standing by the side of a man who doesn't deserve her because of her oaths. Though the Stormfather did mention that she was not very good at keeping them...I wouldn't be surprised if her proximity to a Bondsmith would, in some ways, coax the Sibling out of its slumber.

ETA: it makes me think about her fabrial writings--that you have to coax the spren with something it loves. So what does the Sibling love? What is it attracted to? That will be the missing link here, I think. 

Edited by Bliev