Resealing

35 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Does it leave a red mark?

Yes, it should

Roger

As I understand it, red is a sign of corruption in the cosmere. I just reread The Emperor's Soul, and it mentioned wisps of red smoke when Shai tests the Soulstamps. Does this mean she is corrupting Gaotona's soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that is what that means. Corruption doesn't have to have the negative connotation, right? Basically, it means an outside influence is changing the Spiritual nature of the soul. And, yeah, that's exactly what is happening right there. Now, I would call that a pretty good thing, but... like, all of those things, where she is playing with someone's soul, and changing it, and changing their past, and things like this. This is, by cosmere definition, corrupting someone's soul. That's expressly what it is.

YouTube Livestream 10 (June 18, 2020)

Even with flesh forgery you're overwriting the person's Spiritweb record of its past, Corrupting their inherent Investiture.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Even with flesh forgery you're overwriting the person's Spiritweb record of its past, Corrupting their inherent Investiture

So Ashravan should have had a red mark somewhere anyway... I now fail to see the significance of his Essence mark. Unless someone sees the actual stamp, the arbiters could claim the mark is from flesh forgery, not regular forgery.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Corrupting their inherent Investiture

maybe not acutally.

this WoB is for soulstamps, but i figure they're close enough, that this probably applies to ReSealing as well

Questioner

Is soulstamping a form of corrupted Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Not in most instances, but it is possible to make it such.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

On 8/15/2020 at 0:49 AM, Hoid the Drifter said:

So Ashravan should have had a red mark somewhere anyway... I now fail to see the significance of his Essence mark. Unless someone sees the actual stamp, the arbiters could claim the mark is from flesh forgery, not regular forgery.

@Hoid the Drifter, red mark? Corruption of Investiture does manifest with its trademark red color with Soulstamps but it's in the form of red wisps at the moment of Stamping.

Edit: ah, I see, I didn't get what you meant when you asked "does it leave a red mark". I just read it in a broad sense: does it leave a red (is it Corruption or since it's Corruption) mark (in the general sense, an indication of something). I didn't think you asked that literally.

As we see in the story, the Grands have no idea of Realmatics or how Forgery works, besides the subdivisions within Forgery are all regarding their application and skillset, as an Investiture system all the subsets are identical.

The creation of Essence Marks for Soulforging a person is not considered "regular Forgery", it's considered blasphemous. What Shai did was very exceptional, as she herself pointed out when she was presented with her task.

The Arbiters would want to say it's just Flesh Forgery (the ruling Heritage faction anyway) that's what their whole plan hinged on. Again, Soulforgery is considered blasphemous. They considered Bloodsealing a lesser evil to contain Shai.

To discuss spoilers, please use the spoiler box (it's the eye icon)

Stormlight spoilers

Spoiler

Yes, Renarin's spren, Glys is red. Parshmen's eyes glow red under Odium's Forms of Power, as well as if their bodies are taken over by a Fused.

Red often, but not always, indicates Corrupted Investiture. Not all Corrupted Investiture is red. Not all Corrupted Investiture is bad.

@Eternal Khol, Flesh Forgery is said to require extensive medical knowledge, indicating it doesn't work like standard Cosmere healing, changing the body to fit with the Cognitive and Spiritual idea, instead you have to overwrite the Spiritweb, which to me indicates Corruption. Likely, Brandon is referring to object Forgery, which is far more common ("most instances") than the other two subtypes.

Edited by Honorless
missing comma

• 4 weeks later...