Was Adonalsium an individual?

Yolenlightweaver

Brandon adds a lot of religious ideas to his books, but I think he does a great job at staying away from promoting a religious agenda. After someone dies, they stay in the cognitive realm for a short time and they go somewhere else that even Harmony doesn't know. Since the shards are a collection of Adonalsium I doubt that he knew either. (If there is a possibility that he could know, let me know!) That started to rule out the single omnipotent diety for me in my mind. I then started thinking, would a God with all these attributes be a bad god? Maybe, but bad enough to kill/fracture into the disorder that followed? Maybe. Is it possible that instead of an individual, Adonalsium was a pantheon of Shards? 

Eric

If Adonalsium Shattered with intent, would he always Shatter with the same Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

It is plausible that it could've gone a different way.

Eric

So it could've been different Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's plausible.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

It at least allows the idea that there could be a smaller fracturing of shards if they could have had different intents. We already have shards combining so it isn't impossible. This would also lend to the idea that there was a reason to kill it. There may have been some that had been corrupting their power such as Odium, and the shattering crew felt like they had to do something. Some would want the same power that these "gods" possessed, and others felt like justice had to be enacted. 

I feel like this is a little more depressing of an idea that I had of Adonalsium, so if there is any proof otherwise, let me know!

28 minutes ago, Yolenlightweaver said:

It at least allows the idea that there could be a smaller fracturing of shards if they could have had different intents. We already have shards combining so it isn't impossible. This would also lend to the idea that there was a reason to kill it. There may have been some that had been corrupting their power such as Odium, and the shattering crew felt like they had to do something. Some would want the same power that these "gods" possessed, and others felt like justice had to be enacted. 

Adonalsium has always been portrayed as singular.  Also how can something which is everything be corrupted?  This implies an outside force that we have know knowledge exists. 

The intents of the Shards came from Adonalsium's personality, that implies a unitary being. Brandon even refers to Adonalsium as an entity, singular.

Questioner

Shards. We started with fairly obvious ones, magic wise. Trying to keep this spoiler free, so: Ruin, Preservation, this kind of thing. Then we get the weird ones. Why do we have Shards that can only exist in the mind of a sentient creature? ...Like the concept of Honor can only be done when it's carried out, essentially, by a sentient creature.

Brandon Sanderson

So when I split Adonalsium I said, "I'm going to take aspects of Adonalsium's nature." And this involves personality to me. So the Shattering of Adonalsium was primal forces attached to certain aspects of personality. And so I view every one of them this way. And when I wrote Mistborn we had Ruin and Preservation. They are the primal forces of entropy and whatever you call the opposite, staying-the-same-ism-y. Like, you've got these two contrasts, between things changing and things not changing. And then humans do have a part, there's a personality. Ruin is a charged term for something that actually is the way that life exists. And Preservation is a charged term for stasis, for staying the same. And those are the personality aspects, and the way they are viewed by people and by the entity that was Adonalsium.

So I view this for all of them. Like, Honor is the sense of being bound by rules, even when those rules, you wouldn't have to be bound by. And there's this sense that that is noble, that's the honor aspect to it, but there's also something not honorable about Honor if taken from the other direction. So a lot of them do kind of have this both-- cultural component, I would say, that is trying to represent something that is also natural. And not all of them are gonna have a 100% balance between those two things, I would say, because there's only so many fundamental laws of the universe that I can ascribe personalities to in that way. 

So I find Honor very interesting, but I find Autonomy a very interesting one for the exact same reason. What does autonomy mean? We attach a lot to it, but what is the actual, if you get rid of the charged terms, what does it mean? And this is where you end up with things like Odium claiming "I am all emotion." Rather than-- But then there's a charged term for it that is associated with this Shard. I'm not going to tell you whether he's right or not, but he has an argument. 

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Edited by Weltall

33 minutes ago, Karger said:

Adonalsium has always been portrayed as singular.  Also how can something which is everything be corrupted?  This implies an outside force that we have know knowledge exists. 

I believe corrupted was the wrong word. I guess, unrestrained, a certain intent could cause problems or even destruction while being true to the intent. 

claytonphillips

Before Adonalsium shattered, was it consciously opposed by something, be it people or another cosmic force? Is whatever opposed it still around?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Yes.

With this WOB I feel like there is an outside force that it could have been opposing.

22 minutes ago, Weltall said:

The intents of the Shards came from Adonalsium's personality, that implies a unitary being. Brandon even refers to Adonalsium as an entity, singular.

I may just be understanding, but I feel like a group can have a personality. For example, I see the Ghostbloods as having a personality and profile, but I understand how that is a bit of a stretch.

9 minutes ago, Yolenlightweaver said:

With this WOB I feel like there is an outside force that it could have been opposing.

Your WoB-fu needs a bit of work, Brandon has clarified that people were misinterpreting that one for years.

Eric

In Secret History we learn the 16 Shards that Shattered Adonalsium. Was that done [on behalf of the anti-Adonalsium force]?

Brandon Sanderson

You’re focusing too much on this idea of an anti-Adonalsium. It—the original question I believe that was asked me was “is there a force that is opposed to Adonalsium” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed Adonalsium, you could say were a force, any person who opposed Adonalsium... What they were trying to get was a “devil” but to do that you must assume Adonalsium was a more Christian-style God, and I haven’t confirmed any of that.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

PS, if you put your WoB citations in quotes it makes it much easier to see where the quote ends and your writing begins and makes quoting you much easier since we don't have to delete large chunks of text that aren't directly relevant to the reply. Also, using Arcanum's Quote function gives a direct link to the WoB which is always helpful for context.

Edited by Weltall

7 minutes ago, Yolenlightweaver said:

claytonphillips

Before Adonalsium shattered, was it consciously opposed by something, be it people or another cosmic force? Is whatever opposed it still around?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Yes.

Except that WoB has been overused and misinterpreted.  (Sorry but it crops up so much that I get kind of annoyed)

Questioner

So is there an opposing force to Adonalsium.

Brandon Sanderson

Good question, which has been asked before and i haven't answered it so I'm going to RAFO you as well.

I think that I have occasionally said 'yes' with the caveat that, obviously somebody opposed him because he was Shattered. I haven't confirmed if there is like a 'Devil' or something like that if that's what you're looking for.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

Eric

In Secret History we learn the 16 Shards that Shattered Adonalsium. Was that done [on behalf of the anti-Adonalsium force]?

Brandon Sanderson

You’re focusing too much on this idea of an anti-Adonalsium. It—the original question I believe that was asked me was “is there a force that is opposed to Adonalsium” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed Adonalsium, you could say were a force, any person who opposed Adonalsium... What they were trying to get was a “devil” but to do that you must assume Adonalsium was a more Christian-style God, and I haven’t confirmed any of that.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

12 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Your WoB-fu needs a bit of work, Brandon has clarified that people were misinterpreting that one for years.

PS, if you put your WoB citations in quotes it makes it much easier to see where the quote ends and your writing begins and makes quoting you much easier since we don't have to delete large chunks of text that aren't directly relevant to the reply. Also, using Arcanum's Quote function gives a direct link to the WoB which is always helpful for context.

Haha very true! Thanks for providing the WoB, I haven't seen that one before. Also thank you so much! I was wondering how to get the grey box around it. I am rather new as you have already guessed.

13 minutes ago, Karger said:

Except that WoB has been overused and misinterpreted.  (Sorry but it crops up so much that I get kind of annoyed)

Makes sense, yeah thanks for pointing those out, it makes a lot more sense now!

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

To add to that, Adonalsium has been referred to by Brandon as "he" in writing. Adonalsium was a guy being a dude, confirmed. Then he got killed.

The question is paraphrased, but the answer is written down and photographed. 

imriel452 (Paraphrased)

I asked for "Info on why Adonalsium shattered".

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium Shattered because he was killed.

General Signed Books 2016 (Feb. 1, 2016)   https://wob.coppermind.net/events/134/#e2247

Edited by Child of Hodor

• 3 weeks later...
On 3.9.2020 at 0:30 AM, Thanatos said:

robardin,

Hoid happened, then the bastards offered him a shard of himself. 

Thats what his trying to do, put himself back together again. 

A regular Humpty Dumpty no?

If you want to say that Hoid is Adonalsium then I have to disappoint you:

Questioner

Hoid was at the Shattering of Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

He was there, yes.

Questioner

Was he Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

He was not. Good question.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 8, 2018)