RoW Chapter 6 Discussion

Jofwu

7 minutes ago, Goatbringer said:

Rushu showing off some big Veil energy checking out that Windrunner Highmarshal

I honestly got the same vibe here.

It becomes ridiculous but in just 6 chapters Brandon in one way or another connected Kaladin to more female characters than in all three previous books combined. Glances, dating info, interactions, positive reactions. This is getting weird.

Edited by Harbour

This shipping of Kaladin and Leshwi is very strange to me. Honorable she may act on the field of battle, but is she not, in essence, an undead abomination who kills parshendi women to take over their bodies? If her next “incarnation” was one of the women Kal befriended in the beginning of the last book, I do not think he would find that cute.

13 minutes ago, Zea mays said:

This shipping of Kaladin and Leshwi is very strange to me. Honorable she may act on the field of battle, but is she not, in essence, an undead abomination who kills parshendi women to take over their bodies? If her next “incarnation” was one of the women Kal befriended in the beginning of the last book, I do not think he would find that cute.

Some times you can't help who you have feelings for. I think its definitely a thing. Every time I read thier interactions I get a creepy I like you but I'm going to hurt you and you hurt me so I can feel the pain vibe. 

3 hours ago, Harbour said:

I honestly got the same vibe here.

It becomes ridiculous but in just 6 chapters Brandon in one way or another connected Kaladin to more female characters than in all three previous books combined. Glances, dating info, interactions, positive reactions. This is getting weird.

It honestly sounds like he's being set up to face his fears of loosing those he loves.  He needs to accept that sometimes, *he* needs someone too (which was sort of faced in the last book, but not to the extent that I think he *needs* to face it).  I mean, even Syl has mentioned it guys.  Like, repeatedly.  He's not done with the issue.  Will the attachment be romantic?  Maybe.  But he has to develop some sort of support system.  I have a feeling his family will be involved in this next bit of evolution as much as a potential life partner.

55 minutes ago, Zea mays said:

I agree with you!  It's odd.  Interesting, but odd nonetheless. There's something there.  Maybe it's just finding honor among the enemy or maybe it's romantic.  I have a feeling its more of a respect between generals.  That he sees himself in her a bit and vice versa, more of a "uncomfortable but friendly" relationship....I don't know if that makes any sense. 

12 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Kaladin and Leshwi relationships are toxic in the literal sense.:rolleyes:

Toxic relationships make for good reading. I am a sucker for a good love story lol. A toxic love story that messed up in every aspect sound extremely interesting to read. Expresly if they are trying to hide it from people because it sounds wrong or it looks wrong to other people. 

17 hours ago, Rainier said:

Since when has canonical sexuality mattered to shipping? We've got our own cohort who grew up on Draco-Harry and have transferred that to Kaladin-Adolin. Let me have my fun shipping Kaladin with every single female character who gets any screentime.

Then why not ship him with the male characters too?

5 hours ago, Harbour said:

Rushladin confirmed.

5 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

Rushu showing off some big Veil energy checking out that Windrunner Highmarshal

She is still gay!

7 minutes ago, Doneil said:

Am i the only only one hoping for a love interest with Kaladin and Leshwi?? I mean is that to weird for me to hope for lol tell me if I'm to far off here but I defenitley felt some tension 

Dude like half the posts in this topic is shipping Kaladin and Leshwi.

3 minutes ago, Lightspine said:

Alright, that reddit comment I referenced yesterday actually got a reply! The Fused aren't supposed to bleed after being cut by shardblades, turns out it was just a couple of typos:

Glad you caught that then.  Good work Sharders.

53 minutes ago, Goatbringer said:

Dude like half the posts in this topic is shipping Kaladin and Leshwi.

I honestly crossed fingers for Kaladin/Venli now since i think action girl(boy)+scholar boy(girl) suit each other the best.
Leshwi is interesting now but at the same time still written like a a glorified episodic character. Venli on other hand seems way more enriched character.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, bdoble97 said:

I think he is going to go insain. And they will have to kill him bc he becomes to much of an issue for them 

I think the Shin might end up getting to Moash first. They still have yet to recover the honorblade, I wonder if they'll try?

15 hours ago, Zea mays said:

It is strange to me too, but then any of the shipping is strange to me. 

I like that we're getting more depth re: the Fused. I am glad they're not just nameless, faceless evil. in OB, every fused we met seemed to be not very complex, character-wise. Sane/insane seemed to be the only delineating factor. But I think we see here that there is a wide variety in personality, goals, and even "honor", which squares with the fact that they are the souls of actual Singers, right? If Venli can be a Radiant, then why can't Leshwi have a different philosophy than her other brethren? It also follows the idea that there are "orders" of Fused with different value systems just like with the Radiants. I really like the parallelisms. I also like how the sound theme is getting pulled throughout this chapter (and the others). The "tone" that Navani hears, the fact that Kal can hear the Rhythms. I think the Singers and the Radiants coming to understand one another will be important for mutual respect and survival as the war goes on, and this is a good start.

ETA: makes me wonder if we'll get a Herald who defects to Odium, and a Fused who defects to "Honor" (Dalinar)? Hmmm...

In terms of Veil, I really think Shallan's chapters are well done so far...it's demonstrating the control Shallan has over her alters, that she's able to use them for different tasks and they are able to communicate with one another and make joint decisions. This is progress, for her. But what happens if Veil overrules the others? Who is "in control"? In some ways, i think that's a backslide. In others, the fact that Veil is taking up more with Adolin's side of things is progress, almost like the personality traits are starting to mix more. 

Edited by Bliev

5 hours ago, Bliev said:

ETA: makes me wonder if we'll get a Herald who defects to Odium, and a Fused who defects to "Honor" (Dalinar)? Hmmm...

Well, we already have that. Not Fused, of course, but one of the Unmade. As for Herald defecting, you could call what Nale did defecting to Odium. There's also speculation that Ishar has defected, which would explain his erratic behavior, such as claiming to be GodKing of Roshar. I think you're on the right track here.

33 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Well, we already have that. Not Fused, of course, but one of the Unmade. As for Herald defecting, you could call what Nale did defecting to Odium. There's also speculation that Ishar has defected, which would explain his erratic behavior, such as claiming to be GodKing of Roshar. I think you're on the right track here.

Yes, I'm definitely thinking along the lines of Sja-anat, but the cognitive shadow version. Nale I don't really count as "defecting" so much, as I think he's just nuts. Though of course, he "counts" as a defector. I was more considering the Ishar speculation. That there is true nefariousness afoot with him, imho, and I personally think we'll find out more about that in Book 5, if I had to guess (after we finally get Gavilar's prologue). 

1 hour ago, turtle said:

I think some renarin shenanigans are gonna happen. I don't have any proof but he's on that airship and he is part of bridge four. could rlain become a corrupted truthwatcher squire?

I don't think Truthwatchers have squires.  Not all orders do and we have not seen any so far.  Welcome to the shard BTW.

This WoB is quite old, but it might actually refer to Renarin's new abilities:

phrakture

You seem to be adept at creating interesting magic systems for your worlds - what is your creative process for creating something of this sort? Any hints as to what the next one might involve?

Brandon Sanderson

Next two magic systems you might see:

1) Disease magic. Bacteria have evolved to the point that they try to keep their hosts alive by granting them magical powers while you have the disease. So, you catch a cold, and can fly until you get over it.

2) I've got a a very cool 'throwing spheres of light' magic that I'm working on...which, when you break it down, was inspired by seeing how accurate baseball pitchers were and thinking about how that could be weaponized in a fantasy world.

3) That guy with his ice soap has me thinking about "freezing stuff in water" magic. Like, potions that do things only after they thaw...

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Sept. 1, 2011)

I just had a thought based off those words of Sanderson just posted. Remember how in Storm form the listeners were shooting lighting but with no accuracy. What if Renarian's sphere can have a similar effect. He is tall and lanky like many pitchers who can bring the heat. Being infused with stormlight, and possibly being able to use fortune to know where they are going to move might make him a staple on that fancy airship. He can double as a healer and archer.  

3 hours ago, Master Silver said:

I just had a thought based off those words of Sanderson just posted. Remember how in Storm form the listeners were shooting lighting but with no accuracy. What if Renarian's sphere can have a similar effect. He is tall and lanky like many pitchers who can bring the heat. Being infused with stormlight, and possibly being able to use fortune to know where they are going to move might make him a staple on that fancy airship. He can double as a healer and archer.  

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure Renarin is up to the task. He's not very well coordinated. Knowing where to aim doesn't mean you can hit it. But if throwing a light ball has more to do with intention than physical ability, it could work quite well.