RoW Chapter 6 Discussion

Jofwu

6 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

The Heavenly ones have too much Honor for people using the Odium's investiture. Interestingly, other Fused don't have that.

To be fair, they are likely a twisted form of Honorspren in a way. Like, their orders likely share ideals with similar Radiant orders, just twisted by Odium's rhythms somehow. So Honor might be Contest. Striving for fair fights in their violence while the Willshaper Version might be Choas rather than Freedom. Although I think they would have to be escalated versions of emotions. Chaos doesn't work that way the same way Contest does. Competitive spirit is a powerful emotion and relates to The Thrill

I am so glad someone is asking about this on reddit.  I have been asking about it on the Tor site with the beta readers.  Maybe the wound is supposed to be leaking (or bleeding) voidlight, not actual blood.  But either way this needs to be clarified, because a shard wound should not be bleeding actual blood.

2 hours ago, Lightspine said:

Uh, in the quote I just gave, "the cut" and the "slice" are both referring to the same wound.

But about the heart of your point, I agree that a shardblade doesn't disable a limb unless it goes deep enough to sever the center of the limb. (or the nerves? Since severing the spine kills you. But how much is it anatomy and how much is it shaped by perception?) But a shardblade injury that only scrapes the surface of a limb shouldn't leave a cut there, just limp flesh.

Anyway, most of my confusion comes from the blood in chapter 6. Nobody spoke up about anything weird in this department last week because last week's chapters didn't give any real evidence that the shardblades were leaving physical wounds, just some vague language. I wouldn't have been discussing this at all if those passages were all we had to go off of. But I think Leshwi's bleeding is pretty much inarguably caused by Syl. The only conclusions I can come to is that either:

1. The less skilled Fused wasn't bleeding but Leshwi is. (I don't like this idea)
  2. Somehow the shardblades both leave bleeding wounds (like we see with Leshwi) and will disable if they hit the core of the limb (like the other Fused from Chapter 4).

Edit: Anyway, I went over to reddit in hopes that somebody had asked Brandon about this already. Turns out someone has, but he hasn't responded yet, so will be keeping tabs on this comment: 

Did anyone else feel that the deal with Sigzil might have been overprotection on Kaladin's part? Maybe mixed with some exaggeration from his POV? Because yes, he was impaled, and yes, his Stormlight was being drained, but when Kaladin saved him, he didn't seem scared to me, or even nervous. More like confused. Like "Oh hey Kal, didn't see you there. Huh? You want me to retreat? Why?"

That little scene with Moash was amazing. He really seems to be going down the evil path. I really like the idea of a normal, good person with some internal conflict making questionable choices and gradually becoming actually evil. In OB he still seems like a good person, just terribly misguided, but at this rate, he could get on Rayse's level morally speaking at some point, and I really want to see the transition. I'd be fine with a redemption arc but there's nothing quite like the birth of a villain.

(I know Moash didn't actually do anything this chapter besides standing there and jump, but I don't know, it really did felt like an entire year worth of character development had passed just from that)

So Navani is hearing the rhythms now. At least I think she is. The number of humans doing that is increasing.

Shallan, actions like the one you're planning are the kind that usually end with you spending 500 pages regretting your life choices. Whatever the result, I hope it's a good one, but I doubt it. It will be hard for your companions and superiors to trust you if you deviate from your objectives like that all the time.

Also, I love Leshwi. Nothing to say there that hasn't already been said, she's just great.

4 hours ago, Karger said:

I am pretty sure she is gay.  She wanted to get away from men not women.

Since when has canonical sexuality mattered to shipping? We've got our own cohort who grew up on Draco-Harry and have transferred that to Kaladin-Adolin. Let me have my fun shipping Kaladin with every single female character who gets any screentime.

3 hours ago, Cheat Commando said:

Immensely relieved that Sigzil did not die. He's one of my favorite Bridge Four members.

I'm holding out hope for a flashback/reminiscence from Sigzil about Hoid, so I was also relieved. Also, cheated, somehow. This is supposed to be the conclusion of book that isn't getting written, the climax of the year we skipped. Have somebody die! People die in war, you mean to tell me the original Bridge 4 has a 0% death rate after a year of fighting? Show me the bodies before this becomes even more like DBZ and Kaladin is sent all over Roshar and through Shadesmar in search of dragonballs perfect gems.

33 minutes ago, Rainier said:

We've got our own cohort who grew up on Draco-Harry and have transferred that to Kaladin-Adolin. Let me have my fun shipping Kaladin with every single female character who gets any screentime.

Including Navani?

15 minutes ago, dgreene196 said:

She's becoming a squire?

Or a radiant but yeah.

I'm sure someone has already said this, but this Leshwi-Kaladin dynamic is perplexing. He....grinned while chasing her?  Our Bridge-Boi?  Happy chasing the enemy?  Quite intriguing.  

I also am READY for this assassination attempt to go down!  You know what they say: a couple that faces murder charges together, stays together.;)

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

I was mildly disappointed to see Sigzil using a Shardblade, because that means he's a full Windrunner rather than just a squire and I was hoping he'd end up being a Truthwatcher.

True, I also found that a little odd when I read the chapter this morning, but while listening to WoK this afternoon, I got to a part where Sigzil tells Kaladin that he tried to kill someone once and failed. Maybe Sigzil has his own issues with protecting others that outweigh his inclinations towards being a Truthwatcher.

23 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

I'm sure someone has already said this, but this Leshwi-Kaladin dynamic is perplexing. He....grinned while chasing her?  Our Bridge-Boi?  Happy chasing the enemy?  Quite intriguing.  

I also am READY for this assassination attempt to go down!  You know what they say: a couple that faces murder charges together, stays together.;)

. I like where your head at is a couple who faces murder charges together stay together. Mabye that's why they go into Shadsmare together like that european cover shows. God I just need the book now hahah 

2 hours ago, StormlightFan23 said:

I really liked the Renarin bits in this chapter!  I think that's the first time we've seen him on page?  Already looking forward to him book, have forever to wait.

Yeah... He can throw a disco party easily with his illumination powers! :P

36 minutes ago, Wax said:

Yeah... He can throw a disco party easily with his illumination powers! :P

He will uncover the truth that raves are awesome!

54 minutes ago, FollowYourMuse said:

Ialai was the more devious one, and ran the Sadeas assassins and spy networks. 

I wonder how she contacted the SoH.

1 minute ago, FollowYourMuse said:

My guess is that either she was always aware of them, or had been brought in when she made Amaram Highprince. 

She and her slime ball seemed to have been on good terms and Sadeas does not seem to have known which implies that she did not either.  Amaram telling her some stuff seems more probable.

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Maybe if he make the ball while having a vision. Itll play them out?

Maybe.  Navani does mention that they do odd things sometimes as is.  I personally think they are reacting to something in one of the other realms.

10 hours ago, Rainier said:

We've got our own cohort who grew up on Draco-Harry and have transferred that to Kaladin-Adolin. Let me have my fun shipping Kaladin with every single female character who gets any screentime.

I think this is exactly my aesthetic - shipping Kaladin with any female character who he has even a slightly positive interaction with.

“Write that down,” Navani said. “Capture it.”

“Very well,” Rushu said, opening her notebook again. She glanced up as Kaladin skimmed the deck overhead, dangerously close, following one of the Fused.

“Focus, Rushu,” Navani said.

Rushladin confirmed.