What exactly does have an atium shadow?

Oltux72

Question

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Suppose you were attacked by one of Kalad's Phantoms. If you were an allomancer capable of burning atium, would it have atium shadows?

Why won't it have one? I am possibly misunderstanding you but I don't understand why you feel that a Kalad's Phantom won't have an Atium shadow. What about it would prevent one from forming?

Edited by The_Truthwatcher

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Suppose you were attacked by one of Kalad's Phantoms. If you were an allomancer capable of burning atium, would it have atium shadows?

Yes, Atium shows you the futures of all objects plus mental capacity to sort through it, electrum was limited to possible futures of the Allomancer. 

45 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Yes, Atium shows you the futures of all objects plus mental capacity to sort through it, electrum was limited to possible futures of the Allomancer. 

Well, not aluminum - that won't have an atium shadow.  I'm actually curious whether something less substantial, like a spren or one of the wraiths from Shadows for Silence would have one.  Or something just extremely heavily invested, like the Bands of Mourning.  We know they dont show up to Wax's steelsight, similar to Aluminum, would they similarly resist presenting an atium shadow?

It's not atium making the shadow, it's that burning atium grants you "future vision" the way that Ruin can see it. (While apparently also giving you the predilection to maybe Ruin something with that information, why not.) The Cosmere version of "the future" is a free-will/non-determinate one, i.e., that last minute choices can cause timelines to fork off and split (as how Vin managed to defeat Zane), as well as a probabilistic one (as with how every vision of the future in Oathbringer predicted and confirmed Dalinar's ultimately falling to The Thrill).

The higher you flare the atium burn, the further into the future you can see and understand at the same time. A lerasium Mistborn using duralumin and atium, as Elend did at the end to use it all up, can even see directly into the Spiritual Realm and... UNDERSTAND. (I always wondered, shouldn't that have very temporarily made him a kind of Splinter of Ruin?)

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

For the record, just being heavily Invested doesn't prevent atium shadows from forming, as someone in Shardplate would have one. There's no reason to think that one of Kalad's Phantoms wouldn't produce one.

ahh, cool.  thanks.

and yea, I agree that Kalad's Phantoms would definitely, even without the above.  they arent particularly heavily invested, and are very muhc physical.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, Dunkum said:

Well, not aluminum - that won't have an atium shadow.  I'm actually curious whether something less substantial, like a spren or one of the wraiths from Shadows for Silence would have one.  Or something just extremely heavily invested, like the Bands of Mourning.  We know they dont show up to Wax's steelsight, similar to Aluminum, would they similarly resist presenting an atium shadow?

Okay, THAT was a STORMING good point.

Everything has an atium shadow. When Vin first burned atium she described how everything, like window shutters had an atium shadow. Marsh is an extremely invested being, because he is a full allomancer and a full feruchemist, and he has atium shadows.

4 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Everything has an atium shadow. When Vin first burned atium she described how everything, like window shutters had an atium shadow. Marsh is an extremely invested being, because he is a full allomancer and a full feruchemist, and he has atium shadows.

Aluminum is confirmed to not, and other things might.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:42 PM, Frustration said:

Aluminum is confirmed to not, and other things might.

Well, aluminum is a special case in all forms of Investiture in the Cosmere, so of course it is exempt, but what else do you refer to?

28 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I like the idea that an invested item wouldn't cast an Atium shadow, and perhaps nightblood.

welltall's link sort of discredits that idea.  shardplate is one of the most invested things in the cosmere and it would have a shadow.  still be interested about less physical things, like spren

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

welltall's link sort of discredits that idea.  shardplate is one of the most invested things in the cosmere and it would have a shadow.  still be interested about less physical things, like spren

Since futuresigt is a Spiritual thing and seems to have a lot to do with Connection, I imagine it would work exactly the same for even the most insubstantial of spren, where the atium shadow is reading the spren's Connection to everything nearby and telling the user how the next few seconds are going to go. We have this WoB and another one here that talks about the link between futuresight, Connection and the Spiritual Realm. Since A-Atium is showing you Spiritual information, I don't think that the weaker connection that most spren have to the Physical Realm would make a real difference.

On 24.8.2020 at 5:45 PM, Weltall said:

Since futuresigt is a Spiritual thing and seems to have a lot to do with Connection, I imagine it would work exactly the same for even the most insubstantial of spren, where the atium shadow is reading the spren's Connection to everything nearby and telling the user how the next few seconds are going to go. We have this WoB and another one here that talks about the link between futuresight, Connection and the Spiritual Realm. Since A-Atium is showing you Spiritual information, I don't think that the weaker connection that most spren have to the Physical Realm would make a real difference.

Could it be that aluminium is lacking spiritual connection? If that would be the case there wouldn't be anything for the Atium "to show"..!