What's Up with the German RoW Cover

Hessi's Ward

So the German Rhythm of War cover is out and it breaks away from the Shallan in Shadesmar scene we've seen in the UK and Bulgarian cover.

hs04fdmh76g51.jpg

But whose fleet is that?

I first thought it's the fleet from the Origin mentioned in Puuli's interlude but then with most of the coastal cities being oriented leeward, not toward the Origin. I don't think it's a fleet of SIngers unless maybe Venli convinced some to come along to whatever this city to declare her defection from Odium's side but that doesn't really sound as exciting as the lost sailors coming back when the night is darkest, does it? So what do you guys think?

They often split big books into two, so that's probably part 1 of Rhythm of War. Part 2 would probably be named differently, like they've done before with WoK, WoR & OB

Don't overthink it

Here's the previous German covers:n9ddsd6cj0p21.thumb.jpg.81b436ecbc8be7b279e869548c108b09.jpgrkyl4e4v8xt01.thumb.jpg.36c693a22162d61622f10532e69e3bf3.jpg

Yeah... 

Edited by Honorless

Who is the guy with the red cape?  Kholin colors are blue.  The sun indicates that the city has a largely eastern or western orientation.  I think western more probable unless this is shinovar.  That largely rules out Kharbranth which faces more south and implies Theylenah or possibly Emul.

We don't see a futuristic... building? Spaceship? in the middle of a sandy desert anywhere in OB, or anywhere in Stormlight.

The WoK ones could be the Shattered Plains with some artistic liberty, the second part of WoR + first part of OB could be Urithiru with a lot of artistic liberty. I don't know about the first part of WoR though. 

Doesn't matter, the German covers haven't been very faithful with the source material

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

We don't see a futuristic... building? Spaceship? in the middle of a sandy desert anywhere in OB, or anywhere in Stormlight.

You don't remember the interlude with the spaceship? :lol:

In all seriousness though, I have no idea what that cover is trying to represent. 

On 11/08/2020 at 10:18 PM, *{kara}* said:

The red cape seems to be a theme on all the previous german covers... and it doesn’t seem to fit any character that we know of in all of the pictured scenes? It’s gotta be symbolic or, y’know, Hoid ;)

Or a simple copy from the US cover of The Way of Kings.

• 7 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, Hessi's Ward said:

So the German Rhythm of War cover is out and it breaks away from the Shallan in Shadesmar scene we've seen in the UK and Bulgarian cover.

hs04fdmh76g51.jpg

But whose fleet is that?

I first thought it's the fleet from the Origin mentioned in Puuli's interlude but then with most of the coastal cities being oriented leeward, not toward the Origin. I don't think it's a fleet of SIngers unless maybe Venli convinced some to come along to whatever this city to declare her defection from Odium's side but that doesn't really sound as exciting as the lost sailors coming back when the night is darkest, does it? So what do you guys think?

I am a hundred percent sure that the cover depicts Thaylen City, with its fleet of ships being overlooked by a generic hero. Yes, this is a Rhythm of War cover and we don't have any sequences set there. But Heyne doesn't seem like they put much thought into their covers for this series.

Edited by HoidIsAdonalsium

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 3:47 AM, Honorless said:

The WoK ones could be the Shattered Plains with some artistic liberty, the second part of WoR + first part of OB could be Urithiru with a lot of artistic liberty. I don't know about the first part of WoR though. 

Doesn't matter, the German covers haven't been very faithful with the source material

On 8/12/2020 at 11:32 AM, Jon said:

You don't remember the interlude with the spaceship? :lol:

In all seriousness though, I have no idea what that cover is trying to represent. 

It probably is some weird interpretation of Urithiru. Other than that, I have no idea