Have not played Civ VI. I own the vanilla version because of Epic Games' free game every week thing. I'm not so happy about de-stacking units, cos it makes the military aspect too slow and involved. And apparently the AI can't handle it.

That's one of the great things about Civ IV; the AI is slightly competent. They still cheat at higher levels, but it's my understanding that going from IV to V or VI, you can basically move up at least one difficulty level.

After playing a ton of civ v, where cities can defend themselves without units, and where there is no unit stacking, I have a ton of trouble going back to 4 - i end up wiht wildly underdefended cities and get slaughtered.  I do miss general-led units, though all of mine seemed to get rambo-ed by some random enemy spearman left over from the early game.  pretty sure ive had tanks killed by  macemen and a helicopter killed by a pikeman before.