[RoW] Character summary recap

Hey everyone. I wanted to do this as a quick exercise to see where each of the main characters are currently in their arcs as of the end of Oathbringer (and the few chapters of RoW that have been released) and use it as a reference as we start reading RoW. Feel free to comment. This Tor article made me want to do this post as well as this speculative video. I highly suggest going to both.

The areas are current ideal within their respective order, 3 most relevant & recent activities to be aware of, and possible big moments in RoW.

Kaladin→3rd ideal / Windrunner
1. Failed to save Kholinar.
2. Failed to swear Fourth ideal in Shadesmar.
3. Seems like he's coming to grips with being a lighteyes.

Guesses for what will happen to him: Get a girlfriend, swears the fourth & it'll be epic, seriously addresses his mental issues

Shallan→4th ideal / Lightweaver (we saw her in Plate under Radiant during the battle of Thaylen city. She has spoken the first ideal off-screen and her 3 lies thus far have gotten her to the 4th ideal if I'm not mistaken)
1. Took on Re-Shephir and won
2. Embraced Radiant, Veil, & Shallan as parts of herself, not Shallan playing 2 different parts.
3. Has infiltrated the Ghostbloods and is gaining trust (luck has seriously played a role here)

Guesses: Adolin and her have a shaky relationship because Adolin has 1/3 of a wife and Veil & Radiant are starting to dominate.

Dalinar→3rd (4th?) ideal / Bondsmith
1. "I am Unity." This may be an Ideal or something greater. He forgives himself for what he's done.
2. Actively uniting Roshar against Odium
3. Captured Nergaoul (the Thrill) (!!!)

Guesses: Starts delegating better. Gets Navani pregnant?

Szeth→4th / Skybreakers
1. Swore to follow Dalinar & cleanse the Shin.
2. Activates Beast Mode with Nightblood
3. Delivered Honor's Drop to Dalinar via Lift. He defended Dalinar with Kaladin while Dalinar faced off with Nergaoul.

Guesses: Unleashed to go after the Dawnshards. Book 5 will be him going after the Shin and taking each and every Honor Blade I think. (Is Jezrien's honorblade gone now that he is dead? Answer: No, Vyre has it now (This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules Moash))

Lift→3rd / Edgedancers
1. Partially in the cognitive realm. Can use food to get stormlight as part of her boon. Her bane with Cultivation is still unclear. What she asked of Cultivation was something along the lines of "When everything else changes, I want to stay me."
2. Can enter Dalinar's visions at will & Odium is scared of her?
3. Got Honor's Drop for Dalinar.

Guesses: She'll have grown. Maybe finally using her powers for the people of Urithiru?

Venli→1st / Willshaper
1. Parsh(wo)man that bonded to Timbre!
2. Was initially for attacking humans but is now against Odium.
3. Dalinar felt her missing during the Battle of Thaylen Field. Dalinar has also brought her into his visions.

Guesses: She becomes a spy (though unreliably) for Dalinar. We learn a whole lot more about the Parshman!

Renarin→??? / Truthwatcher
1. Has bonded with Glys who is tainted (read "Enlightened") by Sja-anat
2. He's a blind-spot in Odium's future.
3. He started to be comfortable when in charge with Adolin.

Guesses: Start being more confident and take on a more scholarly role now since it's been a year.

OTHER CHARACTERS

Adolin→ N/A / N/A
1. Married Shallan
2. Summoned Maya (his shardblade) in 7 heartbeats, not ten.
3. Is known to have killed Sadeas

Guesses: Revive Maya. Say goodbye to her because she isn't a shardblade anymore but they depart as friends because Adolin doesn't fit the Order of Edgedancer nor does Maya want to make a bond again after literally dying. He has to figure out what to do next because he doesn't have a shardblade anymore and that's literally his whole life. I honestly want him to stay an un-Radiant. The conflict of him losing Maya will be especially interesting. He then gets an upgrade by receiving an awakened sword from Nalthis (Warbreaker). I say this because the RoW cover shows him having a sword with a rainbow below it. Maybe even train more seriously with Vasher?

Lirin→0 / Stoneward (click the link, it'll convince you)
1. Is still sad about Kaladin's trajectory
2. Has had 3 sons. Welcome to the world little Oroden!

Guesses: Becomes our Stoneward!

Navani→ 0 / Bondsmith
1. Becoming a super-artifabrian
2. Defended Dalinar as he was weak from coping about his sins for months

Guesses: Bonds with the Sibling, re-igniting the birth of Urithiru! Ah yeah!

Feel free to add anything. Let me know if I missed something or got something wrong.

Edited by Dresden_Stormblessed
Update Adolin guesses & Lift's boon/bane

20 minutes ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

7 seconds, not ten.

Heartbeats not seconds. Also, his killing of Sadeas is still relatively secret. I think only Shallan and Dalinar know, I don't think this is commonplace knowledge.

This is super awesome. Thanks for compiling all of this

18 hours ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Szeth→4th / Skybreakers
1. Swore to follow Dalinar & cleanse the Shin.
2. Activates Beast Mode with Nightblood
3. Captured Nergaoul (the Thrill) (!!!)

Szeth stopped at the edge of the Thrill, afraid that it'll take him over. He helped Lift get the drop & helped Kaladin defend Dalinar. He wasn't directly involved in Nergaoul's capture

On 8/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Her boon/bane with the Nightwatcher is still unclear.

It was something like, when everything else changes I want to stay the same / still be me. We know she saw Cultivation, not the Nightwatcher, like Dalinar did.

What a great post.  I was planning on doing one titled “windrunner roll call” but figure I will add it here so that it is all in one place.

Kaladin had some three hundred Windrunners at this point—though only around fifty full knights. Almost all of the surviving original members of Bridge Four had bonded a spren by now, as had many of the second wave—those who had joined him soon after he had moved to Dalinar’s camp. Even some of the third wave—those who had joined the Windrunners after moving to Urithiru—had found a spren to bond.

Surviving members of the original Bridge 4 would be at least 28 people not including Kaladin.  My math is as follows:

34 not including Kaladin went to the battle of the Tower.

Shen/Rlain were left at the warcamp, along with the wounded Kaladin wanted to go back for (where I get the at least from).

3 were lost at the battle of the Tower.

2 were lost at the battle of Narak,

Eth dies in the attack on Urithiru.

Since it reads “almost all” versus “all,” who is missing?  I will assume Rlain (who I am hoping has his own story arc in ROW), and Dabbid.  As to Rock, I have omitted him here as I plan on writing a separate post about him.

Teft, Lopen, and Drehy have all reached the 3rd ideal.  Teft at the end of OB, Lopen and Drehy have shard spears:

Lopen and Drehy moved up beside him, floating slowly, brilliant Shardspears forming in their waiting hands

Sigzil clearly has a spren but I could use some help interpreting this line:

Kaladin grabbed [Sigzil], holding him as he blinked in a daze, clutching his silvery Shardspear.

Who is clutching the Shardspear?  I read it as Sigzil.  But when he drops his spear in recognition of losing the fight, there is no further comment about the spear vanishing. 

Sigzil: a bonded knight that I am guessing has reached the third ideal.

Skar: We see that he has a spear as Kaladin has to dodge it in his first fight with Leshwi, but it is not identified either as a normal spear or Shardspear.  Nor is a spren identified.  However, I am assuming he is included in the “most” of bridge 4.

Leyton: Only mentioned as flying by, chasing a heavenly one.

Kara:  Distinctly mentioned as someone who should be at the 3rd ideal but does not have a spren.

Lyn:  No mention of a spren but if she has one, she is not at the 3rd ideal. Lyn “carried a functional—but ordinary—lance under her arm.”

Did I miss anyone?

On 8/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Guesses: Adolin and her have a shaky relationship because Adolin has 1/3 of a wife and Veil & Radiant are starting to dominate.

I have been doing some reading on DID and this came up.

✘ Myth:  People with DID will inevitably cheat on you/be unfaithful because their parts will just go be with someone else.

I know it’s hard to believe, but everyone is different. What one person does, their system does, or television leads you to believe will be inevitable DOES NOT apply to everyone. Many exist in highly exclusive, monogamous relationships and are instead the ones living in fear of being cheated on, becoming inadequate, burdensome, or dissatisfactory to their partners that they're the ones who are left. DID survivors tend to be more concerned with just finding a healthy, non-abusive, communicative relationship than to "go wild" with the "promiscuous alters" (but more on them later).

On 8/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Eats to get stormlight. Her boon/bane with Cultivation is still unclear, something along the lines of "When everything else changes, I want to stay me."

From the wiki her boon is that she is partially in the Cognitive Realm allowing her to convert calories into investiture.

Her bane is unclear, however, and I personally would speculate that like Dalinar her "bane" is either non-permanent or will actually prove to be beneficial. My reasoning is that since she saw Cultivation the boon/bane is not as delineated as it would be if she had just seen the Nightwatcher.

@HoidsRock I think you got everyone! Well done!

Now that the RoW cover is dropped ( US RoW Cover), here's my best guess as to what's going to happen with Adolin:
Adolin revives Maya. Has the conflict that he isn't sure what he is without a shardblade. Maya becomes his friend but Adolin doesn't fit the Order of Edgedancers so she has to leave him. He then gets an upgrade with a sword from Nalthis (Warbreaker world). I think this will be the case because his sword casts a rainbow on the cover! 

Thank you @GudThymes for the clarification. I'll make the edit above.