Restoring Shards

Rusito

Hi all, how are you?

I was listening "Odium's Shardcast" and I think they mentioned "splintering is not permanent".
Is it possible to restore a splintered Shard? Can a new Vessel claim it after that process?

Spoiler

Like someone on Sel restoring/reuniting Dominion Shard and becoming the new vessel

3 hours ago, Rusito said:

Hi all, how are you?

I was listening "Odium's Shardcast" and I think they mentioned "splintering is not permanent".
Is it possible to restore a splintered Shard? Can a new Vessel claim it after that process?

Reveal hidden contents

Like someone on Sel restoring/reuniting Dominion Shard and becoming the new vessel

Yes I believe it is.

Spoiler

Chaos

Is Splintering a Shard permanent?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

We know it can happen on a larger scale (Harmony) so there's little reason to think it can't also happen on a smaller scale. It might take a lot more work to restore a Splintered Shard but once you get enough of a critical mass together that you could Ascend the rest probably becomes easier.

Another point is that in Oathbringer, Odium tells Dalinar that he realizes now that he can't leave behind the Splinters of Honor like he thought he could. Clearly he's worried that he didn't do a thorough enough job the first time.

But yeah, that WoB is pretty definitive. xD

On 8/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, Weltall said:

We know it can happen on a larger scale (Harmony) so there's little reason to think it can't also happen on a smaller scale. It might take a lot more work to restore a Splintered Shard but once you get enough of a critical mass together that you could Ascend the rest probably becomes easier.

Another point is that in Oathbringer, Odium tells Dalinar that he realizes now that he can't leave behind the Splinters of Honor like he thought he could. Clearly he's worried that he didn't do a thorough enough job the first time.

But yeah, that WoB is pretty definitive. xD

He's put himself in a real pickle, being unwilling to pick up any of the other Shards. He'll always have to keep an eye on the remnants. Even if no one picks them up they could reform and develop an intelligence of their own. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/181/#e3776

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

He's put himself in a real pickle, being unwilling to pick up any of the other Shards. He'll always have to keep an eye on the remnants. Even if no one picks them up they could reform and develop an intelligence of their own. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/181/#e3776

Even if they don't reform, they could just become "large" spren, and have their own individual wills.

• 2 weeks later...

The choice does make some sense from Odium's point of view; You want to destroy all the other Shards but don't want to corrupt your own Intent by holding another Shard. What is the obvious solution? Destroy all the other Shards as best you can, or at least, make it difficult for anyone to hold its full power again. Odium's first attempts were. . . crude, but effective at their goal, whereas his later attempts at splintering have been quite effective.

I agree that it is maybe a poor choice, especial when considering that two of the Shards Odium has splintered of, Dominion and Ambition, seem to both align quite closely with his goals and Intent.