My biggest fear regarding Gaz

Xerun

1 hour ago, bdoble97 said:

No thank you unless he die in the porosses. Haha that's bad to say. 

You spelled process wrong.

I honestly can't understand why there is so much hate directed towards Gaz. He is not a great person, but unlike a lot of people think he's not a terrible one either.

19 hours ago, Xerun said:

Sadeas forced the structure. Gaz specifically did hateful things that weren’t forced on him just because; like not give Kaladin shoes or a vest before his first bridge run.

Sadeas in a way has paid for his crimes. Gaz has not. And I would feel very upset at the idea of him being rewarded with a Spren bond without first trying to apologize for what he did. 

Gaz worked within a system that tried to put the the newest recruits in the most harm.  Moreover, he was told by a lighteyes to give Kaladin "special" (aka worse) treatment on that first day.  Gaz was a coward - he wasn't going to go against someone up the food chain because he was already barely keeping ahead of villains in his own life.

I want one of his Truths to be him admitting how he contributed to the system (not limited to Bridge 4).  But he needs a bond before that.

Edited by dgreene196

2 hours ago, Xerun said:

I guess my issue is if you take people like Sadeas and Amaram, they’re not getting offered amazing powers and godlike reputation by becoming Radiants. Whereas Gaz is being offered that by association with Shallan 

He might not have become a Radiant, but Amaram sure got some pretty cool powers near the end of Oathbringer.

16 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

You spelled process wrong.

I honestly can't understand why there is so much hate directed towards Gaz. He is not a great person, but unlike a lot of people think he's not a terrible one either.

Thanks for letting me know about miss spelt word sorry about that. I cant spell to save my life. Gaz was a pos to all.of Bridge 4 and he in my opinion he doesn't deserve a happy ending 

3 hours ago, Xerun said:

I guess my issue is if you take people like Sadeas and Amaram, they’re not getting offered amazing powers and godlike reputation by becoming Radiants. Whereas Gaz is being offered that by association with Shallan 

Amaram kind of was offered that by Dalinar.  "You can change.  You can become a better person."

37 minutes ago, Karger said:

Amaram kind of was offered that by Dalinar.  "You can change.  You can become a better person."

And it’s ok for any character to be given that opportunity (ok except maybe Moash but maybe even him). So long as they go through the work to redeem themselves. 

my issue is mainly that it looks like Shallans men are now Lightweavers and so if Gaz is also one of them he’s kind of avoided all that redemption through hard work offscreen. 

I mean even look at Roshone, he was pretty terrible to Kaladin. He got shown up in book 3 and then he got kicked from his position into a relatively bad position. But he was showing the signs of redemption by caring for the people. 

1 hour ago, Xerun said:

he’s kind of avoided all that redemption through hard work offscreen.

I'd like to believe we'll see him at the beginning as only a squire to Shallan, and as the story progresses we get to see him speak his Truths, with a few of them in reference to how he acted when in charge of the bridge crews.
As others have said above, him and Kaladin are not likely to make it up perfectly, but I do hope they will at least agree to push past their personal grievances when it comes to the war against the Voidbringers and Odium.

Anyone read the book, “Hitler’s Willing Executioners”? 

That’s Gaz in WOK. Dude is a complete toolbag that should have been sent to the front of every bridge run. There are dudes like him in the real army, they deserve what they get whenever they get it, pending some form of repentance and acknowledgment. 

1 hour ago, joesleepsalot said:

Anyone read the book, “Hitler’s Willing Executioners”? 

That’s Gaz in WOK. Dude is a complete toolbag that should have been sent to the front of every bridge run. There are dudes like him in the real army, they deserve what they get whenever they get it, pending some form of repentance and acknowledgment. 

I agree with you %100 I think he liked fing with bridge 4. He got a thrill when messing with them 

I think it's less about Gaz being a monster than it is that he, Amaram, and Roshone were the immediate examples we were given of how dysfunctional the Alethi hierarchy is from the darkeye perspective, and it's implied that the war camps are full of these types of people to varying degrees. We don't like him specifically because he is the one we see mistreating our bridge crew, but he's no better or worse than any of the other people in charge in the Sadeas camp. Cowardly, a bit of a bully, and desperate to produce results for their own betters so as to avoid their own punishments. It reminds me of the middle managers in a couple terrible jobs I've had over the years.

In a way, what we are seeing now are these same people instead from the light eye perspective. :huh:

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Suppose Kaladin had had a habit of raping children. You are condemning Gaz for Amaram's crimes. Becoming a bridge man is a delayed, aggrevated death sentence. Nobody on Roshar would oppose that on principled grounds.

Not really. Kaladin did so much good for a single bridge crew as a bridge man wading through neck deep death and b******* on a daily basis. There are loads of examples of Gaz being sadistic for no reason other than his own whims—— which Kaladin identifies in his POV to the reader on the spot every time lol.

I mean... Wow. If you can't understand why Gaz felt pressured into the things he did and why that's perfectly understandable I can only be glad you've never had the need to feel his perspective for yourselves. He was in debt, trying to do a job, under the thumb of a truly awful person. He left because it became too much. He set himself on the path of redemption with Shallan. That's how rehabilitation works. 

15 hours ago, I Am A Fish said:

Not really. Gaz is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.

He was petty, he was spiteful, he went along with authority figures he despised, but he also hated himself for being and acting the way that he did as a bridge sergeant.

That's very Lightweaver-esque.

Do we know if Shallan has ever done one of her Transforming sketches of Gaz? I don't remember now.

10 minutes ago, Aminar said:

I mean... Wow. If you can't understand why Gaz felt pressured into the things he did and why that's perfectly understandable I can only be glad you've never had the need to feel his perspective for yourselves. He was in debt, trying to do a job, under the thumb of a truly awful person. He left because it became too much. He set himself on the path of redemption with Shallan. That's how rehabilitation works. 

Agreed.

Not everyone is an amazing, forgiving person*. But that doesn't mean they're a piece of crap, either. Gaz was just in a really hard position. 

While the bridgemen had each other, Gaz had absolutely no one. The Bridgemen despised him, blaming him for their problems, and his superiors constantly threatened to make him one. 

*As evidenced by this thread

On 8/10/2020 at 1:59 AM, Karger said:

Agreed actually.  That would be really unsatisfying.  You could do a lot with him just going to bridge four, apologizing for his actions and telling them that they inspire him and he wants to be a better person

I agree, From his gambling and debts, and what he did to the bridgemen, his truths would be important, and relevant. I would actually be more interested in his truths, than Shallon's. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he has to reconcile with Kaladin to become a lightweaver but it would feel cheap if they never had a moment (maybe for his 3rd or 4th ideal?). I agree with whoever said it would be cool if Gaz saved Kaladin's life. I could also see Gaz being able to say something that helps Kaladin get of his funk/swear the 4th ideal. Maybe not something incredibly profound but coming from Gaz who used to be such a selfish person.

Edited by SanderFan69