Jasnadin

joesleepsalot

Ok, since this has already been spoiled, I really feel we are being set up for Laral and Kaladin to have a rekindling.  I think part of why he and Lyn combusted is because she noticed his interest in Laral during visits to Hearthstone.  Now that the path has cleared, I see major bonding happening.  (Also with the Syl interlude, we know Kaladin will be spending more time at Urithiru, which means more time for Laral romancing :))

I think their relationship has progressed in the time skip and something which will be teased out.  Not that Kaladin would EVER cheat on someone, but a bond like they have isn't something that disappears :)

On 8/12/2020 at 3:55 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

Two normally emotionally composed characters got annoyed and started calling each other names in their first meeting.  I've watched enough romcoms to know what this means.

Kaladin is sort of the opposite of emotionally composed.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:55 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

Two normally emotionally composed characters got annoyed and started calling each other names in their first meeting.  I've watched enough romcoms to know what this means.

Jasnah was still composed, she was just insulting along with it.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, StormlightFan23 said:

Ok, since this has already been spoiled, I really feel we are being set up for Laral and Kaladin to have a rekindling.  I think part of why he and Lyn combusted is because she noticed his interest in Laral during visits to Hearthstone.  Now that the path has cleared, I see major bonding happening.  (Also with the Syl interlude, we know Kaladin will be spending more time at Urithiru, which means more time for Laral romancing :))

I think their relationship has progressed in the time skip and something which will be teased out.  Not that Kaladin would EVER cheat on someone, but a bond like they have isn't something that disappears :)

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I want to see this. I really do. But I just can’t believe that their personalities do anything but clash. Stone and passion. Stoicism and anger. Kaladin needs sympathy and encouragement and understanding. And I can’t see Jasnah as anything but the “get it together and handle your business” type. Definitely different love languages there lol. I don’t think they would be good for each other.... and now I’m looking over my shoulder for my ex wife thinking about this!

Okay, I just want to point something out here. I don't think the age difference is a big enough thing to be a deal breaker. In Mistborn era 2 we have Wax, a 45 year old man, engaged to Steris, while we don't know her exact age she's been described as "nearly 30". So the age difference here is about the same, and it hasn't really been seen as a big deal. In fact, I'd be for a sort of reversal of the typical older man/younger woman couple that's fairly common in fantasy stories in general.

That being said, I really hope Jasnadin doesn't happen, I think their personalities and values are just too different.

1 hour ago, LuckyJim said:

Okay, I just want to point something out here. I don't think the age difference is a big enough thing to be a deal breaker. In Mistborn era 2 we have Wax, a 45 year old man, engaged to Steris, while we don't know her exact age she's been described as "nearly 30". So the age difference here is about the same, and it hasn't really been seen as a big deal. In fact, I'd be for a sort of reversal of the typical older man/younger woman couple that's fairly common in fantasy stories in general.

That being said, I really hope Jasnadin doesn't happen, I think their personalities and values are just too different.

There's a difference in that Kaladin is around 20. The brain doesn't finish developing until 25. The difference between 30 and 45 is much less than even 20 and 30 when it comes to life experience, self understanding, and the ability to be an equal partner in a relationship.

1 hour ago, Aminar said:

There's a difference in that Kaladin is around 20. The brain doesn't finish developing until 25. The difference between 30 and 45 is much less than even 20 and 30 when it comes to life experience, self understanding, and the ability to be an equal partner in a relationship.

From what I can find Kaladin is around 23ish in earth years (According to this) during Oathbringer, add to that 1 year time skip and you are close enough to 25 if that's your criteria but I will say it is very odd to bring brain development into this, I would suggest leaving it at the difference in life experience part, that is a good argument.

2 hours ago, lol_king said:

From what I can find Kaladin is around 23ish in earth years (According to this) during Oathbringer, add to that 1 year time skip and you are close enough to 25 if that's your criteria but I will say it is very odd to bring brain development into this, I would suggest leaving it at the difference in life experience part, that is a good argument.

Brain development is involved in decision making and how someone processes life decisions. It's fairly easy to accidentally manipulate a romantic partner whose mind has not fully developed and crossing that barrier by more than a few years can get very messy. There's a reason over the last 30 years(and really most of human history) the lines of adulthood have been creeping ever later. My parents could drink at 18. Smoking just shifted up to 21 in the US as well. Car insurance rates drop after 25 or so because statistics show people become safer drivers around then.