Jasnadin

joesleepsalot

Since like 85% of the anti-Jasnah/Kaladin guesses were based on Kaladin’s rank, I’m gonna call this one and say that, as he’s now a highmarshal, the ship is going to happen (I’ve been calling it for years anyways)... Amaram was a socially acceptable suitor and his rank was Highmarshal. Got it, she’s the queen now... but she had always been possibly in line for the throne anyways if a disaster happened to the Kholin house, and currently she is technically just a regent until Gavinor comes of age.  

57 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

Since like 85% of the anti-Jasnah/Kaladin guesses were based on Kaladin’s rank, I’m gonna call this one and say that, as he’s now a highmarshal, the ship is going to happen (I’ve been calling it for years anyways)... Amaram was a socially acceptable suitor and his rank was Highmarshal. Got it, she’s the queen now... but she had always been possibly in line for the throne anyways if a disaster happened to the Kholin house, and currently she is technically just a regent until Gavinor comes of age.  

Its not happening

Er, nothing to do with his rank, and everything to do with how their personalities do not mesh, actually.

Opposites only attract when they have surface differences, but have underlying commonalities and compatible values and beliefs.  When they have radically opposing values and beliefs, it's not going to work. 

Honestly, this 1year timeskip with no evidence of Kaladin even remotely interested in Jasnah (but interested in Lyn and Leshwi for example) made me think Jasnahdin wont even be hinted at in RoW. I predict they will have purely business relationships.

Edited by Harbour

I didnt imply he has it. I implied that Brandon attached Kaladin's attention to Lyn and Leshwi. He dated first and seems very searching for the second, while Jasnah was mentioned by him briefly just as an interviewer for Heralds.

I mean Brandon do what he want to do. He presented Lyn and Leshwi and already put them more important for Kaladin than Jasnah (right now).

SInce its just a few chapters i cant say for sure that Jasnadin wont happen, thats why i said "i predict" instead of "they will sure wont be a couple".

8 hours ago, joesleepsalot said:

Got it, she’s the queen now... but she had always been possibly in line for the throne anyways if a disaster happened to the Kholin house, and currently she is technically just a regent until Gavinor comes of age.  

Just a point of clarity since a lot of people have been misunderstanding this, Jasnah is Queen, not a regent. There is an important difference between the two, and it was stated in Oathbringer. Dalinar tells Adolin that this is not the time for a regency. That Gavinor can be named heir, but a king in fact is needed. They then picked Jasnah. So she isn't just holding the position till he comes of age. She is Queen and holds all the powers associated with that station

Oathbringer page 1220

The Blackthorn shook his head, then looked to Shallan and Adolin. “Either way, Alethkar needs a king. More so now than ever.” “The heir—” Adolin began. “Too young. This isn’t the time for a regency. Gavinor can be named your heir, Adolin, but we must see you two married and the monarchy secured. For the good of Alethkar, but also the world.”

Pathfinder, touché I’ll concede that point. With regards to everything else, Has anyone ever seen springer episodes and/or seen what happens on the daily between complete non-matching types lol. Reasons and logical positions and age gaps amongst adults aren’t part of the equation in this arena...in real life they rarely are. Math equations here are like Mr Bennet (The short awkward guy) trying to woo Lizzy in pride and prejudice lol. Between now and book 10, I’m willing to bet this goes down. The fact that it hasn’t happened or been mentioned yet is just stage prep.

55 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

Pathfinder, touché I’ll concede that point. With regards to everything else, Has anyone ever seen springer episodes and/or seen what happens on the daily between complete non-matching types lol. Reasons and logical positions and age gaps amongst adults aren’t part of the equation in this arena...in real life they rarely are. Math equations here are like Mr Bennet (The short awkward guy) trying to woo Lizzy in pride and prejudice lol. Between now and book 10, I’m willing to bet this goes down. The fact that it hasn’t happened or been mentioned yet is just stage prep.

That's just not true. There are exceptions but most relationships between equals are within a few years of eachother. A decade at most and rarely more than 5 years. There are myriad reasons why that is, but in the end modeling that kind of age gap as appropriate is wrong. 17 years is a lot of life experience. It would amount to Jasnah taking advantage of Kaladin. If it didn't matter in the real world we'd see it far more often. 

Beyond that, Jasnah needs nobody. And that's awesome. 

8 hours ago, Harbour said:

I didnt imply he has it. I implied that Brandon attached Kaladin's attention to Lyn and Leshwi. He dated first and seems very searching for the second, while Jasnah was mentioned by him briefly just as an interviewer for Heralds.

I mean Brandon do what he want to do. He presented Lyn and Leshwi and already put them more important for Kaladin than Jasnah (right now).

SInce its just a few chapters i cant say for sure that Jasnadin wont happen, thats why i said "i predict" instead of "they will sure wont be a couple".

I'm still not seeing any kind of parallels being drawn between Lyn and Leshwi.  At all.

I just cannot see that happening. Kaladin needs someone to carry help him carry his emotional dead weight, like Lyn, or Syl. Jasnah does not seem empathetic enough, to fit the criteria. I'm a bit confused as to why people ship Jasnadin. Kaladin is probably going one of three ways:

1. Syladin*; Kaladin could totally end up with Syl*, she has proven the ability to carry emotional dead weight, she definitely cares about him, and I can see no reason why this wouldn't work out. It's been suggested numerous times on the shard. 

2. Past crushes; Kaladin has very, very many. Karah could still work out,** And for all those who don't know, Moash murders Roshone. Karal is seeming more and more likely.  

3. Shallan; I am of the opinion that Adolin is going to kick the bucket. If so, Shalladin could probably, -once again- become a thing.*** 

*I still think it's is weird though

**If he ever finds her

***Provided she comes to terms with her past trauma

Edited by I Am A Fish

12 minutes ago, clockworkspider said:

I'm still not seeing any kind of parallels being drawn between Lyn and Leshwi.  At all.

They didn't say parallels. They said presented both Lyn and Leshwi both with some importance to Kaladin. Which I agree with.

Now it could just be that he's thinking about Lyn and Leshwi because they're present and he clearly has had some history with them in the past year, but that is something that readers are picking up on.

I'll throw out a new potential relationship for Kaladin just because I like her: Cord. She's a strong fighter, and seems nurturing and compassionate in the Syl and Lift interludes. I'm looking forward to learning more about her.

For Jasnah, I was surprised in these chapters that Kaladin casually thought of her by first name a couple of times. It's possible they have a strong dislike of each other, but it didn't come across in his thought process. Also, she is 14 years older not 17 (I recall her being 34 in WOK/WOR and he was 20). Regardless of age and rank, I don't see anything happening there primarily because Jasnah seems to be focused on other priorities in her life.

13 hours ago, Starla said:

For Jasnah, I was surprised in these chapters that Kaladin casually thought of her by first name a couple of times. It's possible they have a strong dislike of each other, but it didn't come across in his thought process. Also, she is 14 years older not 17 (I recall her being 34 in WOK/WOR and he was 20). Regardless of age and rank, I don't see anything happening there primarily because Jasnah seems to be focused on other priorities in her life.

Years in Roshar are around 1.1 times the length of an Earth year, so the age gap is around 15.5 years, rather than 14 or 17.

Edited by BloomAgeOne

I used to ship this, but don't anymore. I think they have interesting interactions, but a relationship between them wouldn't work. As others have said, Kaladin needs emotional support and empathy, not cold and hard logic. I don't ship Syladin either - Syl acts way too childishly. It honestly feels kinda creepy to me. 

Currently, I'm hoping he manages to get things working with one of his old crushes.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:01 PM, Aminar said:

Not to mention the fact she's 17 years older than he is. Still gross and still shouldn't be something we're seeing at the focal point of a story. 

Not sure I quite agree with this as the reason not to have it happen. There is a long-standing trope in fiction for male characters to be paired off with female characters who are younger than them, or (to use on screen examples) for men to play the long-interests to much younger women. 

Now, I admit, I'm a bit unclear on what the ages of the characters involved here are - my Cosmere knowledge is a lot more lakcing than it should be - but I don't think this ship should be ruled out on the basis of age difference, particularly since Jasnah seem's like the type of character who would be attracted to someone due to their intellect and personality rather than any kind of physical attraction.

(There are still potential consent and rank issues involved, given she's a monarch and he's not, but still.)

Anyway, point is, I don't think the age gap is a reason this romance couldn't work out. Granted, I also low-key shipped Kaladin/Jasnah back when I started reading the books, so I am far from objective on this.

I don't really see a Kaladin/Jasnah relationship, but it certainly could work out (at least for some period of time).  There's more to Jasnah than cold logic.  Otherwise, Renarin would be toast.  And age matters less than maturity level - Kaladin's always seemed far more mature than his age (though he and Jasnah, along with, in particular, Shallan, are all quite sharp-tongued/snarky).

If I had to go with primary impediments to any relationship between them, I think it would be a matter of opportunity and education.  Maybe they'll spend enough time together to let their guards down and open up to each other, but, for now, I'm skeptical of that.  More importantly, when and if Kaladin and Jasnah enter philosophical conversations, I suspect she'll manage to show off her far superior education.  She'll logic him while he'll push a more emotional argument - that's going to be a hard bridge for them to cross.  It's possible, it's just hard.

But, I think that can be said about all of Kaladin's possible "ships."  But it does lead to great theorizing...

I also think it could be Venli. Some of the singers were his friends and he respects them even if he is fighting against them. He does not see things as black and white as he used to. Neither does Venli. Not saying it will be the case, but I could see that happening if he’s not back with an old crush or Syl.

18 hours ago, Quiver said:

Not sure I quite agree with this as the reason not to have it happen. There is a long-standing trope in fiction for male characters to be paired off with female characters who are younger than them, or (to use on screen examples) for men to play the long-interests to much younger women. 

Now, I admit, I'm a bit unclear on what the ages of the characters involved here are - my Cosmere knowledge is a lot more lakcing than it should be - but I don't think this ship should be ruled out on the basis of age difference, particularly since Jasnah seem's like the type of character who would be attracted to someone due to their intellect and personality rather than any kind of physical attraction.

(There are still potential consent and rank issues involved, given she's a monarch and he's not, but still.)

Anyway, point is, I don't think the age gap is a reason this romance couldn't work out. Granted, I also low-key shipped Kaladin/Jasnah back when I started reading the books, so I am far from objective on this.

I've only really ever seen that trope as used to show when a character is particularly sleezy. I've never been comfortable with it and I don't think swapping the genders makes it any better. I think that until a person is in at least their 30s wide age gaps like that are grossly unfair and exploitative to the younger party. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, joesleepsalot said:

Since like 85% of the anti-Jasnah/Kaladin guesses were based on Kaladin’s rank

I disagree very strongly with that statistic.

On 8/9/2020 at 5:24 AM, clockworkspider said:

Where the heck did this idea that Kaladin has any romantic/sexual interest in Leshwi come from?

Enemies to friends to lovers is a thing but honestly fandom will ship just about anything.

I personally hope Kaladin just stays single.

On 8/10/2020 at 0:46 AM, I Am A Fish said:

2. Past crushes; Kaladin has very, very many. Karah could still work out,** And for all those who don't know, Moash murders Roshone. Karal is seeming more and more likely.

I don't know Fish, but maybe you should spoiler this?