Mistborn reference in Alcatraz?

ShrubSeph

Actually, I think there's a WoB about it, to lazy to search for it. Thing is, originally Brandon thought of getting Alcatraz to be part of the Cosmere, but afterwards he decided against it, not wanting to have earth in the Cosmere. Anyway, he decided to leave a reference. I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

Actually, I think there's a WoB about it, to lazy to search for it. Thing is, originally Brandon thought of getting Alcatraz to be part of the Cosmere, but afterwards he decided against it, not wanting to have earth in the Cosmere. Anyway, he decided to leave a reference. I might be wrong.

You’re not wrong. Theres also reference to a language spoken on Yolen.

Tyran Amiros

Why does Bastille say they're speaking Melerandian in book 1 and Nalhallan from book 2 on?

Brandon Sanderson

When I originally wrote Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians, I put that in there partially as a throwaway joke. Melerand is one of the main kingdoms in Dragonsteel, and I thought it would be amusing for them to be speaking that language somehow filtered into this world. By the end of the book I decided that Alcatraz could not be anywhere in the same continuity as Dragonsteel and that I was probably wrong for including that. Though there are other jokes in there relating to my other books—it's much like the scene where Quentin speaks in Spook's dialect. Those were just jokes, inside references to my other books.

Remember that Alcatraz was written as a writing experiment, not as something that I was intending to publish. As the series grew more serious to me, meaning that I developed what I actually wanted to happen—which with me usually happens as I write book two of a series, when I sit down and build an arc for the entire series—I "realified" Alcatraz's world a little bit, if that makes sense, made it its own substantial thing. So at that point it wasn't appropriate for them to be speaking Melerandian anymore.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011) Edited by Eternal Khol

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Trutharchivist said:

afterwards he decided against it, not wanting to have earth in the Cosmere

Both Alcatraz and the Rithmatist have such cool magic systems that I would love to see interact with the larger Cosmere, although it was definitely the right decision to exclude alternate Earths.