Shardplate

bdoble97

Do people think that most of our main characters will speak thier respected oaths to all have thier shardplate by the end of this book. With only one more book left in the first set of five book I feel like there us a night posabilaty that they all get there plate. Sorry.if this doesn't read well I just thought of it well I'm waiting in linee for ice cream with my wife haha

18 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Do people think that most of our main characters will speak thier respected oaths to all have thier shardplate by the end of this book. With only one more book left in the first set of five book I feel like there us a night posabilaty that they all get there plate. Sorry.if this doesn't read well I just thought of it well I'm waiting in linee for ice cream with my wife haha

Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, and Teft are all one oath away. I don't think Teft will get it since he just swore the Third and I feel like he will be working to overcome it. Kaladin will probably get it since he failed in Oathbringer and working through his issues will probably be one oath away. Shallan is also working on being better, so probably. I don't think any of the Radiants that aren't on the Third Oath will get it because getting 2 Oaths in one book seems too rapid. Some of the relatively minor Radiants [like the ones from other nations] might get plate or already have it, but I don't think their Oaths will get much screen time.

Jasnah probably already has. We haven't seen any of her oaths on-screen. One day we'll learn that she's already sworn five and we'll go "huh, when???"

I think Shallan definitely will. In her first viewpoint we're already getting hints that there's one more bigger truth for her to say, so I'm assuming that plot will be resolved in one book, so she'll say her last oath and get her Plate. I'd have to say I'm the most confident about this one.

Kaladin... I'd say 75-25. He's clearly butted up against that fourth oath in Oathbringer and couldn't do it. One way for his character to grow is for him to work through his issues and say that fourth oath - maybe via the storyline with him and his father. This would be a pretty natural way forward for the plot and for Kal.

But another way forward would be for him to realize he can't say that Oath, that he could never live by it, and either accepting that or at least working with it for now. That would be a way for Brandon to emphasize that these oaths are a big deal, people can't just read off a script, one oath two oath three oath yehaaw more power, they have to actually be able to willing by some pretty restrictive principles and not everybody's cut out for all of them. And that Kaladin could still be awesome even without as many oaths. Both those paths could be developed into amazing plots for Kal and I'm looking forward to which way they go. I think if Kaladin does not say the oath, then some other Windrunner will, and Teft would be a good candidate there. (Alternatively, there could be a plot where Teft gets his plate *first*, and that's part of what helps Kaladin get over the line.)

Dalinar is hard for me to judge anything about because of how his plotlines came to a conclusion in Oathbringer. Stuff's pretty neatly wrapped up. We don't know what his next Oath is about or if he's struggling with it. However, I think it's a good guess that by the end of Book 5, Dalinar will have sworn two more oaths. We know he'll have some big moments in book 5. So what's more likely - that he swears two oaths in book 5, or that he swears one in book 4 and one in book 5? I'm going to guess that he swears two in book 5, and none in book 4.

Szeth almost certainly won't. His next oath requires him to complete his Quest, which is to cleanse the false leadership of Shinovar. This would be an awesome plot for a Szeth-focused book (like book 5!) but a poor fit for a book where Szeth is mostly in the background and has very few viewpoints (like this one is supposed to be.) I can't imagine him dealing with Shinovar being a quick 1-2 chapter thing.

...hmm, putting those all together - I think Shallan being the only one of the main viewpoint characters to get Plate would be strange, so going down that list I think Kaladin would get it too.

I feel like it's underwhelming for kaladin to only get his plate after a two book arc. it's also kinda strange for him to get armor once he accepts that he can't save everyone and he has to allow others to risk themselves.

I think when kaladin swears the fourth oath every windrunner in his vesenity get armor too, through Conection,Spiritual Adhesion,or even basic resonance  (we know its strength of Squires, could it mean more than just their number?)  would be cool that as kaladin accepts and willingly send his men to danger he gives them the greatest protection there is. 

of course there would be limitation, only those closest to kaladin through shared experience and ideals (basically mostly bridge four) and within limited distance of kaladin.

I am also fairly confident Shallan has her plate already and is just mentally blocking it (again).  I think so because when Jasnah addresses 'Shallan' during the conflict in Thaylena, it's actually 'Radiant' who responds to her, and the Radiant illusion was previously described as wearing plate.  So at some point off-screen, Real Shallan and Illusion Radiant swapped and when Jasnah arrives it's Illusion Shallan and Real Radiant.  It could just be an illusion, but for some reason I don't think so.

As for plate in Row; Kaladin for sure, he's really close to it, and Shallan will probably manifest hers 'properly'.  We'll probably see Jasnah with it on-screen...  I think Adolin barely misses spotting her with what I believe was her Shardplate at the end of OB, my theory was she'd just dismissed it moments ago when Adolin spots her with the outline of shapes fading away from around her.  He assumed she soulcasted I think, but I'm pretty sure it's her armor.  Well, even more telling than that is her comment to Shallan way earlier in the novel about not being a full radiant without her plate, obvious implication being that she knows where plate comes from.

I don't think Dalinar or Szeth will get them.  Szeth is going to get it in his book (book 5), also he supposedly has a smaller role in RoW.  Venli won't have hers either.  Teft is a possibility, but he probably wont just for narrative reasons; so that Kaladin can be the focus of this development/reveal.  I think Malata will be revealed to have her plate, either from before or newly, and it will probably be a surprise development that she takes advantage of in some manner of betrayal or in furtherance of Diagram goals.

Those are my guesses, at least.

Edited by Kuram

If Kaladin doesn’t get his armor and doesn’t swear the fourth ideal in this book I’m going to be incredibly annoyed. Years of waiting for a fantasy story while dealing with real life for the last 3 years gives fans the right, I think. Give Kaladin armor and oaths and for heaven’s sake, give that dude a friggin break from the constant beat down lol.

Didn’t we see Radiant in Plate? I think Shallan was just handing the Plate off to her more soldierlike personality.

Jasnah has her Plate, I am certain of it. 

Szeth might get his Plate in book five, as he has a small role in this book. Book five may detail his quest to cleanse Shinovar as part of his fourth oath. 

Kaladin will probably get his Plate this book. He will have to overcome his guilt and depression to swear it, which will be tough for him. The rest of Bridge Four either are working their way up there, or just can’t find a Spren to bond. 

Venli may have sworn the second oath offscreen. It has been a year, so who knows how far she has progressed?

Dalinar probably will not get plate, considering that he doesn’t have a Shardblade. He may swear his next oath this book, although I am uncertain what situation will prompt him to do so. 

12 minutes ago, Solant said:

Part of me suspects that the windrunners  may not use armor once they have access to it because of the way it interferes with lashes. Does anybody remember if the windrunner in Dalinar's vision wore armor?

I do believe that he did have Plate. I may be wrong, but it seems that Windrunners can Lash themselves while in plate, but cannot Lash others while Plated. 

I suspect if the secondary Spren Theory of Plate is true Dalinar will get Plate. He just can't have a blade because it leaves the Stormfather Vulnerable. Which does raise some interesting thoughts on the siblings Slumbering... Be funny if that was Oathbringer waiting to be awakened. 

18 hours ago, Aminar said:

I suspect if the secondary Spren Theory of Plate is true Dalinar will get Plate. He just can't have a blade because it leaves the Stormfather Vulnerable. Which does raise some interesting thoughts on the siblings Slumbering... Be funny if that was Oathbringer waiting to be awakened. 

OB is a stoneward unfortunately.  I think most of them will have plate by book five although Szeth won't(he will have to finish his crusade first and I don't see that happening).

1 hour ago, Karger said:

OB is a stoneward unfortunately.  I think most of them will have plate by book five although Szeth won't(he will have to finish his crusade first and I don't see that happening).

Finish or begin? It seems like the 4th oath for him would be "I will bring Justice to my homeland or the like." Not, "I brought Justice to my Homeland." I would guess he swears to his crusade, gets the armor, but must complete the crusade to the specifications of his High Spren to be accepted as a Master Skybreaker by the Skybreakers. But I doubt the oath itself represents a task already done. 

2 hours ago, Aminar said:

Finish or begin? It seems like the 4th oath for him would be "I will bring Justice to my homeland or the like." Not, "I brought Justice to my Homeland." I would guess he swears to his crusade, gets the armor, but must complete the crusade to the specifications of his High Spren to be accepted as a Master Skybreaker by the Skybreakers. But I doubt the oath itself represents a task already done. 

The Skybreakers say that you have to complete your crusade to your spren's satisfaction.

48 minutes ago, Karger said:

The Skybreakers say that you have to complete your crusade to your spren's satisfaction.

I know. I looked up the scene. They don't say that's how you get armor. They say that's how you are recognized as a master. The oath itself seems to be the crusade. And the armor would come when the oath is sworn, not when the crusade is completed.

23 minutes ago, Aminar said:

I know. I looked up the scene. They don't say that's how you get armor. They say that's how you are recognized as a master. The oath itself seems to be the crusade. And the armor would come when the oath is sworn, not when the crusade is completed.

“Someday,” another Skybreaker noted, “you may achieve the Fourth Ideal: the Ideal of Crusade. In this, you choose a personal quest and complete it to the satisfaction of your highspren. Once successful, you become a master like ourselves.”

Seems pretty explicit.

11 minutes ago, Karger said:

Seems pretty explicit.

I disagree. It seems perfectly designed to be absolutely truthful while not saying what you think its saying. What is "A master like ourselves". Master in this case implies entrusted to teach other Skybreakers. It implies a leadership position. It implies allowed to not be on their crusade. But we haven't seen any Skybreakers on their crusade. They'd be off crusading after swearing the oath to do so. The oath that unlocks Shardplate. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, Aminar said:

I thought the same thing too, but someone shut me down with a wob where he said bondsmiths never carried shard blades. I always thought Oathbringer would be a telling name, hiding in plain sight

11 hours ago, Karger said:

Dude. Brandon always plays games. That character isn't. He's not lying about anything. Brandon is quite probably using the term Master to misdirect.  But you're taking a lot at face value that doesn't logically add up. I mean really, who goes on a Crusade without some badass armor? Why would the oaths be structured that way? Think like a writer. 

I agree that Brandon is likely using misdirection. And also, given the textual evidence from the books, it does not make logical sense that Bondsmiths wouldn't receive plate. They are the most powerful of the Radiant orders, and because of that high value targets for the Fused. Seemingly Dalinar was on his way to plate at the end of Oathbringer. Plate is made up of secondary spren, so the Stormfather would still be holding true to his words by not becoming a mere sword. I do think as their bond deepens the Stormfather will be afraid of losing his human, and thus plate would help protect him. This being we hope the last desolation and rules already being broken, I can see Dalinar ending up with a shard blade that isn't the Stormfather. Whether that is an honor blade, or Oathbringer time will tell. But unless he ascends, he will need to be able to protect himself with sword and plate. 

8 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

If Nale is a level 5 sky breaker as well as a herald, why doesn’t he rock living plate? Unless he simply chooses not to—— but if someone 100% has maxed out the leveling system, and if plate is based off level, then he’d have it.

We also didnt see 4th Oath Skybreakers in Plates, and they should have them. But, on the other hand, we didnt see them durring battle, so we cannt be sure. Its possible that they simply not summon Plates during "normal" activities.

14 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

If Nale is a level 5 sky breaker as well as a herald, why doesn’t he rock living plate? Unless he simply chooses not to—— but if someone 100% has maxed out the leveling system, and if plate is based off level, then he’d have it.

Did he ever need it on screen ? He has never been in a dangerous situation on screen.