Theory: Truthwatchers use an alternative form of Illumination

Honorless

Truthwatchers and Lightweavers share the Surge of Illumination.

In Oathbringer, Renarin had been having trouble using the Surge of Illumination to craft illusions like Shallan does. While Shallan is a standard Lightweaver, Renarin is not a standard Truthwatcher as his spren is Corrupted, that makes comparisons difficult.

We do, however, have another example of potential usage of Illumination by Renarin. In the Battle of Thaylen City, Renarin uses light to banish a Thunderclast. I don't think this is specific to Renarin's unique condition as, like Glys, Ym's spren too told their Radiant that they could make things go away with light when Nale attacked him in WoR.

We do know that the Surges have a Spiritual component to them. Shallan using Connection to those she draws for her Lightweaving. Renarin glimpsing into a person's Spiritual and applying it on the Physical body. Both Illumination and Progression have a Spiritual element within them. Perhaps Truthwatchers are more proficient in Spiritual manifestation of their Surges, like the Bondsmiths.

We do know that the Surges don't always manifest in the same manner among the Orders that share them.

Perhaps this is how the Surge of Illumination manifests in Truthwatchers. Maybe they don't craft illusions. Truthwatchers are more about truth than lies, which are under the purview of the Lightweavers.

Alternatively, the banishing light could also be a combination of the Surges of Illumination and Progression, their Resonance perhaps, a cleansing light (might as well go full throttle on that paladin theme)

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Perhaps this is how the Surge of Illumination manifests in Truthwatchers. Maybe they don't craft illusions. Truthwatchers are more about truth than lies, which are under the purview of the Lightweavers.

Very interesting idea. It does seem likely that they will not be as into making illusions, casting untruths as lightweavers. It is possible that that truthwatchers use surge of illumination to illuminate as in remove illusions, reveal the truth hidden beneath etc. Renarin did reveal the hidden lockers in urithiru which I have always believed to be some sort of use of illumination by him. 

Also shallan has had visions of events happening elsewhere which is also something very truthwatcher-y to me. 

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Ym's spren too told their Radiant that they could make things go away with light when Nale attacked him in WoR.

Oh I'd forgotten that! I have no idea how that power is supposed to work but it seems like there is something there. Maybe they can use light to banish the Fused? Seems powerful.

I don't remember who it was but someone on the forums has a theory that Truthwatchers, as the opposite position from the Bondsmiths, may also have some Spiritual shenanigans they can use.

9 hours ago, Karger said:

I could have sworn you already posted this somewhere?

I've said similar things about Truthwatchers before. Recently, I made a few comments in response to another topic, regarding the possibility of the banishing light being a combination of a Illumination and Progression, yeah:

Edited by Honorless

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I think maybe they use illumination in a opposite way. Much like how u have pushing and pulling metals , perhaps truthwatchers can use illumination not to create illusions but to see through them . Mayhaps they can sense when someone is involved im subterfuge via spiritual Connection. Mindread a bit in a way. 

Also physically perhaps they have like x-ray vision or atleast extremely good eyesight and hearing. 

I mean illumination deals with waves right. Sight and sound are both waves. Hmm maybe they can sense vibrations in atmospheric pressures allowing them to predict enemy movement in advance without sight. 

Mistborn era 1 spoilers :

Spoiler

Like how savant spook could. 

Maybe they are like tin savants but with more control. 

Maybe investiture like light has a wave like form too which they can sense , much like a seeker 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

17 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Interesting. I think maybe they use illumination in a opposite way. Much like how u have pushing and pulling metals , perhaps truthwatchers can use illumination not to create illusions but to see through them . Mayhaps they can sense when someone is involved im subterfuge via spiritual Connection. Mindread a bit in a way. 

Also physically perhaps they have like x-ray vision or atleast extremely good eyesight and hearing. 

I mean illumination deals with waves right. Sight and sound are both waves. Hmm maybe they can sense vibrations in atmospheric pressures allowing them to predict enemy movement in advance without sight. 

Mistborn era 1 spoilers :

Reveal hidden contents

Like how savant spook could. 

Maybe they are like tin savants but with more control. 

Maybe investiture like light has a wave like form too which they can sense , much like a seeker 

I guess you are not reading the released chapters, but...

Spoiler

It is confirmed that only Renarin has Illumination shenanigans.

45 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I guess you are not reading the released chapters, but...

Reveal hidden contents

It is confirmed that only Renarin has Illumination shenanigans.

Meaning ? 

Spoiler

Like they can use illumination much like lightweavers right. But I think they can't be as good as lightweavers tho . Thier ability lies in a  different direction as per ky above comment I think 

5 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Meaning ? 

Hide contents

Like they can use illumination much like lightweavers right. But I think they can't be as good as lightweavers tho . Thier ability lies in a  different direction as per ky above comment I think 

Spoiler

Other Truthwatchers can make normal illusions.

21 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Other Truthwatchers can make normal illusions.

Spoiler

Well yeah but I doubt they can make it as well as lightweavers esp since they lack the transformation bit to make them feel real , maybe basic pure illusions but that's all. Thier true use of illumination is more for piercing through subterfuge and obstacles I think 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
Some polishing

23 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:
Spoiler

Well yeah but I doubt they can make it as well as lightweavers esp since they lack the transformation bit to make them feel real , maybe basic pure illusions but that's all. Thier true use of illumination is more for piercing through subterfuge and obstacles I think 

Spoiler

I like the theory of seeing through illusions, but Truthwatchers use Illumination exactly as well as Lightweavers. Jasnah was simply guessing what Shallan was doing. Shallan has never used Transformation on her illusions.

8 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:
  Hide contents

We also know that Shallan's memory is part of the lightweavers resonance, and a major contributor to her use of lightweaving. As resonances come from the specific combination of surges, the Truthwatcher's can't share this resonance, perhaps making lightweaving more difficult for them, specifically in gaining the same level of realism as lightweavers

(Keep RoW stuff on the other boards.  It's not much of a discussion if everything's in spoilers :P)

I swear there's a scene where Renarin heals someone (maybe Adolin in OB when he's visiting Gallant) and other person gets a flash vision/insight of a sort the ideal version of themselves, which is a big Spiritual thing.  The closest that Shallan does  is less with Lightweaving and more with art, like her portrait of Elhokar as a strong king.  As if she is aware of that ideal form, but not able to apply it.

1 hour ago, Zelly said:

I swear there's a scene where Renarin heals someone (maybe Adolin in OB when he's visiting Gallant) and other person gets a flash vision/insight of a sort the ideal version of themselves, which is a big Spiritual thing.  The closest that Shallan does is less with Lightweaving and more with art, like her portrait of Elhokar as a strong king.  As if she is aware of that ideal form, but not able to apply it.

You recall correctly. Yeah, Shallan's drawings do seem similar to that, they also have another Spiritual effect: they forge a Connection (which is how she created the mass illusion in Thaylenah and how she saw Yalb surviving the shipwreck)