The Sibling in ROW

joesleepsalot

This may have been touched on already so my apologies if it’s redundant. 

Due to the nature of the RoW chapter introductions from Navani, I think that the sibling fled the tower, similarly to how the midnight mother subsequently came in, then later fled.

Makes sense to me for a few reasons:

1. The nature of Navani’s intro material for each chapter is how to lure a spren into a gemstone. The obvious parallel is that the sibling was once “trapped”, albeit willingly, in the core column of Urithiru. intro’s by Sanderson are never accidental or itrelevant, and based off what we’ve read so far I’m willing to bet Navani is the mystery main character. Sorry Adolin. 

2. the midnight mother copies what she sees, as we all know from OB. Perhaps she copied the sibling by hanging out on/around that column. Got it, she was previously trapped by a light weaver and eventually escaped—- but that info comes from whack job shallan who I wouldn’t trust with a potato gun (reference the movie “Armageddon”)

3. I think the sibling is “slumbering” at the honor spren city in Shadesmar, and that Adolin and Shallan’s expedition to that place will accomplish 2 things: get the honor spren to commit, and the sibling to wake up and throw some skin in the game.

3.a. The Stormfather is well aware of the siblings whereabouts, and the humans thought/reported that he had died due to Urithiru’s light. I think his 100% absence from the physical realm is more to blame.

3.b. This does nothing to answer the issue of similar Urithiru style veins in the rock in Kholinar, perhaps someone can make more connections. 

1 hour ago, joesleepsalot said:

This does nothing to answer the issue of similar Urithiru style veins in the rock in Kholinar, perhaps someone can make more connections. 

I believe that the strata from Kholinar was specifically the windblades, not necessarily the whole city. Although I may be mistaken.

Here's a quote about Urithiru and it's creation:

Though many wished Urithiru to be built in Alethela, it was obvious that it could not be. And so it was that we asked for it to be placed westward, in the place nearest to Honor.

I think that this implies that Urithiru and the windblades were either "placed" or created by the same process/entity or it would imply that Urithiru came from the same source as the windblades and then moved to its current location. If it's the latter I wonder if the windblades somehow made Urithiru?

I have a theory that Sibling is a group of spren looking like the oathgate platform sprens. Head spren among the siblings of oathgates.  And not sibling in the sense of sibling of Stormfather and Nightcrawler.

During Thaylen City battle, Odium instructs destruction of city Oathgates and it's gem stones be brought back to him. He also says with the gemstones they can rebuild the oathgates at a different location.

So my theory is that Sibling is slumbering somewhere inside a perfect gemstone and it is that gemstone that has to be brought in touch with HP by a Bondsmith.

Edited by Wyndle88

I've have an idea the sibling could be what is making the horneater peaks livable. With the story rock told the spren of stone ended up helping them. But if this were true it would have to be help he could provide while slumbering. I still hold to the idea the sibling is like the CPU of a smart home. Dalinar could possibly provide the electricity(stormlight), but without the cpu (the sibling) it wouldn't do anything. The bond Smith that always stayed in urithiru was the siblings blondsmith and he was needed to provide the constant source of stormlight to run the tower.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, joesleepsalot said:

3. I think the sibling is “slumbering” at the honor spren city in Shadesmar, and that Adolin and Shallan’s expedition to that place will accomplish 2 things: get the honor spren to commit, and the sibling to wake up and throw some skin in the game.

I love this idea!

On 8/8/2020 at 2:27 PM, garlick said:

The bond Smith that always stayed in urithiru was the siblings blondsmith and he was needed to provide the constant source of stormlight to run the tower.

No Bondsmith before Dalinar has been able to infuse gemstones or provide Investiture on Demand. Or if so I find it odd that the Stormfather didn’t know it when he spoke to Dalinar the first time it happened.

Edited by RazeU
Wording

2 hours ago, RazeU said:

No Bondsmith before Dalinar has been able to infuse gemstones or provide Investiture on Demand. Or if so I find it odd that the Stormfather didn’t know it when he spoke to Dalinar the first time it happened.

The Stormfather has said that, once Dalinar learns to do a thing, then the Stormfather always knew he could do it, but not before that.  So we don't know for certain that Bondsmiths couldn't previously infuse Stormlight.  Though it seems probable.

For the time being, it definitely seems as though each Bondsmith may have somewhat unique interpretations of the Surges.  But I guess only time will tell (or won't - I'm not really certain we'll end up seeing 3 Bondsmiths, though I certainly hope we do).

As an aside, Notum (the honorspren captain from Oathbringer) notes that the Nahel bond may be more dangerous in the absence of Honor.  I wonder if, to some degree, our new Radiants are somewhat more powerful than previous editions, when Honor may have limited things somewhat (whether intentionally or not) to stabilize the bond.  Just a thought.

15 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

they are slumbering as is Urithiru

This would make sense, when you're sleeping you still have some very basic functions that work (breathing, hear beating, digestion), and maybe the same is true for the Sibling, in that the most basic functions (increased air pressure, maybe some others we haven't noted) are still operational, but anything higher than that requires them to be woken from their slumber

On 10.8.2020 at 9:54 PM, RazeU said:

I think all of the Bondsmiths were able to infuse Spheres, but wath Dalinar did, was opening a Perpedicularity. And that is something new. It even surprised Odium to that point, that he fled the battlefield.

But the Sphere infusion seems like a natural Bondsmith thing to do.

2 hours ago, spaidapig said:

I think all of the Bondsmiths were able to infuse Spheres, but wath Dalinar did, was opening a Perpedicularity. And that is something new. It even surprised Odium to that point, that he fled the battlefield.

But the Sphere infusion seems like a natural Bondsmith thing to do.

I disagree. The investiture comes from the spiritual realm I believe. So the only way for it to get to the spheres in the physical realm is through a perpendicularity. Therefore if Dalinar is the first to open a perpendicularity, he is the first to infuse spheres. 

again, if the Stormfather’s reaction was just him being shady about his memory... this is all based on a false assumption. 

11 minutes ago, RazeU said:

I disagree. The investiture comes from the spiritual realm I believe. So the only way for it to get to the spheres in the physical realm is through a perpendicularity. Therefore if Dalinar is the first to open a perpendicularity, he is the first to infuse spheres. 

again, if the Stormfather’s reaction was just him being shady about his memory... this is all based on a false assumption. 

In this WoB it is clearly stated as a Bondsmith power

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.
Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

7 hours ago, RazeU said:

Lol well rarely have a seen an idea so thoroughly trashed as that. I stand corrected and embarrassed :lol:

Haha shoot man, I wouldn’t be embarrassed...my perception and a lot of other readers who I talk to got the same notion from the book. That’s exactly how it comes off to the reader unless you live on this website for 23 hours every day at the expense of real life and sunlight; the average employed adult with kids can’t know 1/12th of all these details.

Edited by joesleepsalot
Typos

It's not like I'm living on the website.

I've been absent for over two month I think.

But I'm really into the small details and lore. And if you know what you are looking for, you can just search in the arcanum for it. I haven't nearly read all the WoBs myself. I just want to know a lot of things, because it helps sorting the new stuff stuff and it's easier to draw conclusions.

And sometimes there is not much to do at work, so browsing the forum and the arcanum is all I have left to do.

About this particular WoB, it is worth mentioning that on the footnote it says Brandon was unintentionally misleading here. From following the link this is the relevant quote from Brandon:

I'll leave you with a random tidbit to theorize about. I'm pretty sure that at my signing last week in Idaho Falls, I was unintentionally misleading about some of the things I said about Dalinar's powers (regarding infusing of spheres.) I was trying to talk around spoilers for book four...

I only know this because I just happened to be watching the shardcast about this signing and it was mentioned, I don't know if there is some later clarification. I personally cannot figure out what specifically is misleading, it seems pretty clear cut but Brandon did specifically feel the need to mention this so...