Lets see if we can get the timing.

Karger

OK.  So we know First Dreams vanished about five months ago(I know this has not been edited but hopefully it is not too far off).  First Dreams is in OB interlude four.  I am not sure where in OB timeline that is.  If someone knows please tell me.  Allowing another month to organize the expedition when can we expect contact with Aimia?  Assuming they leave from the closest oathgate they have, Jah Kavad they will have to travel about fifty five hundred miles by ship.  Assuming they make about 4 knots this journey will take them around 69 rosharan days to make contact with Aimai  On the other hand the Urithiru contingent leaves by Azir and takes a ship from Tashikk they can make the same distance in about a bit over a third the time or around 34 days.  If we can get a good answer on this we might be able to figure out a bit of what has happened in the intervening year.

The problem is that we don't know exactly where in the timeline First Dreams is. I recall reading somewhere [I have no idea where] that interludes don't always match the chronology of the point in the book they're at. Since First Dreams is not a fixed point, a point in time happening a set time from First Dreams is also not a fixed point. Timeline remains unconfirmed, though your ship speeds seem right.

The Wandersail could be closer to Aimia than other coalition ships. It could be commissioned via spanreed and the coalition delegates could be flown to meet up with Wandersail. Would explain why Lopen ends up on the ship.

The coalition could ask around to different ports to see what ships are available. Then have their people oathgate / fly to meet up with the ship that’s well positioned and willing. 

45 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

The Wandersail could be closer to Aimia than other coalition ships. It could be commissioned via spanreed and the coalition delegates could be flown to meet up with Wandersail. Would explain why Lopen ends up on the ship.

The coalition could ask around to different ports to see what ships are available. Then have their people oathgate / fly to meet up with the ship that’s well positioned and willing. 

Wondersail? You mean First Dreams?  And Lopen?  He was on that ship?  damnation I need to re-read that interlude.

15 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

You can't use spanreeds while in the ocean.  The movement makes that impossible.  Also if you are going to fly most of the way why bring a ship?  This has actually been bugging me for a while.  Why don't you just send a windrunner to do recon?)

41 minutes ago, Karger said:

You can't use spanreeds while in the ocean.  The movement makes that impossible.  Also if you are going to fly most of the way why bring a ship?  This has actually been bugging me for a while.  Why don't you just send a windrunner to do recon?)

Range. Availability. Freight.

17 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

Yalb isn't on the Wandersail right now. We know that Rysn is the captain of that ship, and Yalb refers to the captain of the ship he's currently on his "Captain Smta" -- unless this is a typo or a mistake I would assume that the timeline for travelling to Aimia is actually much later than 5 months after the First Dreams went missing.

I think this prologue is taking place earlier than the the rest of the events of the novella will. Yalb will bring the ship back to Thaylenah or at least to a port to contact the Queen, then we'll see the Wandersail set sail with Rysn, Cord, and Lopen (who else?) to Aimia.

Edited by GudThymes

24 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

Yalb isn't on the Wandersail right now. We know that Rysn is the captain of that ship, and Yalb refers to the captain of the ship he's currently on his "Captain Smta" -- unless this is a typo or a mistake I would assume that the timeline for travelling to Aimia is actually much later than 5 months after the First Dreams went missing.

I think this prologue is taking place earlier than the the rest of the events of the novella will. Yalb will bring the ship back to Thaylenah or at least to a port to contact the Queen, then we'll see the Wandersail set sail with Rysn, Cord, and Lopen (who else?) to Aimia.

I didn't mean to imply he is on the Wandersail. We know the Wandersail goes to Aimia, not this ship. I was speculating on why the Wandersail ends up going. 

5 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I didn't mean to imply he is on the Wandersail. We know the Wandersail goes to Aimia, not this ship. I was speculating on why the Wandersail ends up going. 

Sorry, didn't mean to say you did. Just hand't seen anyone explicitly make that distinction. I assumed when I was reading it that he was, and then this convo made me go WAIT A SECOND. Just spitballing here, but what if it has something to do with Rysn's larkin? We know the Lanceryns (or however you spell that) were from Aimia. What if Jasnah from her research decided to send Rysn specifically because of that fact.

7 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

Sorry, didn't mean to say you did. Just hand't seen anyone explicitly make that distinction. I assumed when I was reading it that he was, and then this convo made me go WAIT A SECOND. Just spitballing here, but what if it has something to do with Rysn's larkin? We know the Lanceryns (or however you spell that) were from Aimia. What if Jasnah from her research decided to send Rysn specifically because of that fact.

No worries! 

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I forgot about the spanreed issue. I guess we don't really know why they send an expedition in the first place. This event seems to kick it off, but one ship losing it's crew isn't that interesting in a worldwide war. 

It's also weird to send RoW spoilers: 

Spoiler

Rock's daughter to a place where no one has come back from in a long time. Unless Rock goes.  Didn't sound like it from what Brandon has said. 

On 8/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, Karger said:

First Dreams is in OB interlude four.  I am not sure where in OB timeline that is.  If someone knows please tell me.

The Strange wind they'd encountered - which didn't match the timing of highstorm or Everstorm.  Kaza Interlude I-4 OB

The only storm I can recall which had different timing would be the Everstorm that brought Odiums forces to Thaylen City, so that would give the timing of First Dreams arriving in Aimia

15 minutes ago, FollowYourMuse said:

The only storm I can recall which had different timing would be the Everstorm that brought Odiums forces to Thaylen City, so that would give the timing of First Dreams arriving in Aimia

Or it just might be the general weirdness of Aimia(very frustrating) but that does confirm it happens sometime during the OB timeline when the Everstorm has been around for a while and was starting to be understood.

Since

The timeline for Oathbringer starts on day 4 of the new year, and ends on day 100.

That is only a 96 day period and I think we can safely rule out the first 30 days or so.  I am also going to be lazy and just say that it is around the middle of that period day 67.  Five months from that (Rosharan months) is 250 days latter would be around four months after OB ends.  They should make landfall about a month latter so this novel should take place sometime near the middle of the two SA books. 

Edited by Karger

On 8/13/2020 at 0:51 AM, FollowYourMuse said:

I read this as a wind that was somehow put in place specifically to prevent expeditions from reaching Akinah.  As soon as they got to a certain point, the wind ceased, and the Soulcast spears were the next line of defense.

2 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

I read this as a wind that was somehow put in place specifically to prevent expeditions from reaching Akinah.  As soon as they got to a certain point, the wind ceased, and the Soulcast spears were the next line of defense.

I got that impression also, it was on re-reading and the comment on comparing the timing to Highstorm and Everstorm that had me thinking maybe it was different,  plus knowing they have an idea of everstorm timing also helps to place the timing. 

33 minutes ago, FollowYourMuse said:

I got that impression also, it was on re-reading and the comment on comparing the timing to Highstorm and Everstorm that had me thinking maybe it was different,  plus knowing they have an idea of everstorm timing also helps to place the timing. 

I agree with you.  I made the point that trying to use that wind as evidence that this interlude took place during the storm Odium accelerated might not be correct.

• 2 weeks later...