Twinborn

Hoid the Former Drifter

Double-tin always seemed like the best actual synergy of powers to me, since they both augment in different ways, and by filling individual senses at the same time as burning normal metal, you can target individual senses and mitigate the biggest downside of A-Tin.  Throw a few heightening on there and you can probably start seeing the very fabric of reality of something.  

Other than that combo, it's really just another way of asking which feruchemical trait you would like an infinite supply of.  For that Id go Gold or Fortune (depending on how it actually works) as tier 1, with Copper &, Zinc as tier 2, and the non-tin physicals as more or less equal tier 3 choices.

15 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Double Zinc. They're my favorite A and F power just as they are, the synergize very nicely, and obviously compounding. 

In my head they're dubbed Masterminds.

Definitely going to be the best Conman (or politician, in a perfect world) ever

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Double gold. Tie weights to my shoes and jump off a boat then explore the deep parts of the oceans.

I suspect Cadmium would be a far more effective, or at least less unpleasant, way to go about that particular goal.  

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Then you get crushed by the pressure. Gold would let me heal from that.

Excellent point!  Though at some point the ocean would start crushing you faster than you could heal and still make any progress, so even Gold wouldnt keep you moving.  I think that's going to be a more complicated problem to overcome.  

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Excellent point!  Though at some point the ocean would start crushing you faster than you could heal and still make any progress, so even Gold wouldnt keep you moving.  I think that's going to be a more complicated problem to overcome.  

Potentially an issue, but I think if you have enough health stored, you'd be able to do something similar to what Miles could and heal yourself nigh-instantly, even from an explosive going off in your hand.

Just now, Invocation said:

Potentially an issue, but I think if you have enough health stored, you'd be able to do something similar to what Miles could and heal yourself nigh-instantly, even from an explosive going off in your hand.

The difference is that an explosion is a single event, whereas this would be a constant source of new damage.  It wouldnt kill him so long as there were enough chunks in contact with pre-invested Gold to keep the process going, but it might be able to (at extreme depths) reapply damage fast enough that healing is all you'd be able to do, leaving no time,  attention, or intact bones long enough to keep exploring.  I think for resistance to physical pressure you'd need either form of Peewter Strength enhancement.  Cadmium would be best at non-damaging pressures, and gold would get you further but might top out eventually, but Pewter might be the route to a physical immunity/resistance.  

2 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The difference is that an explosion is a single event, whereas this would be a constant source of new damage.  It wouldnt kill him so long as there were enough chunks in contact with pre-invested Gold to keep the process going, but it might be able to (at extreme depths) reapply damage fast enough that healing is all you'd be able to do, leaving no time,  attention, or intact bones long enough to keep exploring.  I think for resistance to physical pressure you'd need either form of Peewter Strength enhancement.  Cadmium would be best at non-damaging pressures, and gold would get you further but might top out eventually, but Pewter might be the route to a physical immunity/resistance.  

Pewter could work, but I'd argue that that would be even more of an issue due to a larger drain. Gold just reaches out to your Spiritual reflection, but Pewter has to permeate every inch of skin, bone, muscle, and otherwise every bit of tissue in the body and functionally have to double the draw every time you drop another 33-ish feet, if I'm remembering my pressure changes right. Gold's healing just does what it does the whole time, only being a matter of speed.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Pewter could work, but I'd argue that that would be even more of an issue due to a larger drain. Gold just reaches out to your Spiritual reflection, but Pewter has to permeate every inch of skin, bone, muscle, and otherwise every bit of tissue in the body and functionally have to double the draw every time you drop another 33-ish feet, if I'm remembering my pressure changes right. Gold's healing just does what it does the whole time, only being a matter of speed.

From what I recall, and it's been a whiel since I read Era2, but even compounding Gold the restoration still took time and had a visible physical progression to it.  If that's true then it's going to be healing against constant, repeated damage, so it's going to have a similar drain.  Which one is quantifiable more efficient will be really hard to pine down right now, but I think it will be a variable thing.  To be clear im thinking on the most extreme deep trench case, where the momentary damage can be compared to sitting in fire or something like that, which I think could eventually overcome and stall out the F-Gold healing process.  I couldnt say where that tipping point would be, but I think it would exist. 

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

From what I recall, and it's been a whiel since I read Era2, but even compounding Gold the restoration still took time and had a visible physical progression to it.  If that's true then it's going to be healing against constant, repeated damage, so it's going to have a similar drain.  Which one is quantifiable more efficient will be really hard to pine down right now, but I think it will be a variable thing.  To be clear im thinking on the most extreme deep trench case, where the momentary damage can be compared to sitting in fire or something like that, which I think could eventually overcome and stall out the F-Gold healing process.  I couldnt say where that tipping point would be, but I think it would exist. 

Some of the less uniform healings had visible progressions, but when he broke his leg, it never had a chance to fully break since it sealed immediately on the other side. If there *is* a tipping point, it would have to be very very deep. Maybe the absolute bottom of the Challenger's Deep, but I doubt even that.

28 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Some of the less uniform healings had visible progressions, but when he broke his leg, it never had a chance to fully break since it sealed immediately on the other side. If there *is* a tipping point, it would have to be very very deep. Maybe the absolute bottom of the Challenger's Deep, but I doubt even that.

The human body cant actually take very deep at all. The current (public) human dive record is only 1750 ft down, compared to the 20,000 ft of the deeper trenches.  Reinforced diving suits become necessary at 100 ft (~4 atm pressure). At as little as 300ft the body starts activating a "Dive Response" that constricts the blood in limbs to prioritized core organs. At 2000ft diving suits stop being tenable and we have to either go solid pressurized canister subs, or unmanned probes.  Hell, the greatest recorded dive depth from a tagged blue whale was 1660 ft, and those guys have flexible skeletons that let their lungs get crushed down and pop back up later when the gasses re-expand.  

EDIT:  Found a FAR better comparison: a steamroller I found exerts rated a pressure on the road of 500-700 kPa, which is equivalent to about 100 PSI or 7 atm, which you hit at around 200 ft.  So that indicates that anything over 200 feet is going to feel like the end of Roger Rabbit.  

We're probably derailing the thread at this point though.  Next to Gold what would be your top Twinborn choice?

Edited by Quantus

6 minutes ago, Quantus said:

We're probably derailing the thread at this point though.

Yeah that's fair.

5 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Next to Gold what would be your top Twinborn choice?

That's tough. A-pewter/F-electrum probably. Store both at one time, have no motivation to do anything and the strength to do nothing also but then tap it and become very strong and highly motivated for however long it takes you to complete a powerlifting competition and make money.

33 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yeah that's fair.

That's tough. A-pewter/F-electrum probably. Store both at one time, have no motivation to do anything and the strength to do nothing also but then tap it and become very strong and highly motivated for however long it takes you to complete a powerlifting competition and make money.

Im assuming you meant F-Pewter since you mentioned filling them at the same time.  I dont think that's an option, at least not a natural one: There are people with only one Allomantic metal and one feruchemcial one, but nobody that has more than one but less than all. Granted Spikes or Coins could get around that easily enough.

9 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Im assuming you meant F-Pewter since you mentioned filling them at the same time.  I dont think that's an option, at least not a natural one: There are people with only one Allomantic metal and one feruchemcial one, but nobody that has more than one but less than all. Granted Spikes or Coins could get around that easily enough.

Ah yes, my bad. Still, it works. Store, then get motivation and enter yourself, then get beefy with a-pewter.

A-bendalloy and F-Steel. If I learn to anchor a speed bubble to myself I will be able to run at F-Steel speeds anyway. Add F-Steel on top of that and I will be unstoppable. If I need to recharge my Feruchemy just burn Bendalloy while doing it to save time.  

Edited by Dancer

1 hour ago, Bzhydack said:

Double Steel. Definitly. Speed is most universal feruchemical ability, speeds not only body, but also mind and perception. Speed is usefull in all aspects of life. And steel is also realtivly cheap and easily accesable.

I thought about that, but eventually it doesn't matter if you can travel fast because you can't do anything. That's where gold would come in handy. And remember, You don't have to be able to compound.

Just by that way, mistborn full feruchemist is NOT an option. That would be saying that you want to be TLR, and Harmony made sure this wouldn't happen (I guess with the exception of Marsh, who he can control anyway.)

1 minute ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

You don't have to be able to compound.

With Steel it also isnt needet. Steel is also much cheaper than gold.

2 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

I thought about that, but eventually it doesn't matter if you can travel fast because you can't do anything. That's where gold would come in handy

Steel speeds up ALL your aspects. Thinking. Reactions. We saw F-Steel in use - Bleeder was able to shot 4 shots from 4 directions very precise in blink of an eye. Besides, who tells that I need supersonic speeds? Being able to speed myself even 10% is very usefull.