Playlist

kelbea

Hey y'all!

I'm making some Spotify playlists based on the different cosmere series, starting with Mistborn era 1. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Any song based on the themes, characters, ideas, or general vibe for any of the cosmere books are welcome. Any genre, any artist, serious or memey. My only rule is that you have to be able to justify each recommendation somehow.

I'll post a link once I get some good lists going. Thanks everyone!!!

Kelsier: 'The One to Survive' by Hidden Citizens, 'Do You Hear the People Sing' from Les Miserables

Shallan: 'Run Run Rebel' by Hidden Citizens (I know you said Mistborn, but I was looking for a Hidden Citizens song that I know is perfect for Vin, and accidentally hit this)

Vin: 'Unstoppable' by Hidden Citizens

Spoilered in case someone hasn't finished Era One

Spoiler

Battle of Hathsin, specifically when the atium Mistings make their stand: 'Never Back Down' by Two Steps From Hell

Hidden Citizens in general has some really good songs, also Thomas Bergersen.  

On 8/4/2020 at 10:44 PM, kelbea said:

Hey y'all!

I'm making some Spotify playlists based on the different cosmere series, starting with Mistborn era 1. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Any song based on the themes, characters, ideas, or general vibe for any of the cosmere books are welcome. Any genre, any artist, serious or memey. My only rule is that you have to be able to justify each recommendation somehow.

I'll post a link once I get some good lists going. Thanks everyone!!!

My Mistborn Era 1 soundtrack leaned towards future bass, so my suggestions lie there. I'll link some of the songs below. I really like:

"Koto" by Clozee for when Vin and Kelsier are training for the first time. The song has a "learning your powers montage" feel to it, so I think it fits. 

Spoiler

"Lit (Skrux Remix)" by Lexy Panterra. This song has a very "Heroic Second Wind" feel while still keeping the YA vibes that Mistborn Era 1 undeniably has. The base drop is pretty solid too. I play this during Hero of Ages when 

Spoiler

Vin takes in all of the Mists and starts killing Inquisitors like a mad-woman

Spoiler

xKito on YouTube used to have a whole mix of songs that I listened to when reading Mistborn Era 1. It's since been deleted, sadly. 

My go-to "epic battle" song is Final Fantasy XV's Ifrit battle theme "Hellfire." Any time there's some sort of giant battle coming on, I play that song. Wheel of Time, Star Wars revision, Mistborn...that song is playing. 

Spoiler

For Mistborn Era 2 I'm still sorting everything out. I'm going with a sort of "western" theme, but I'm not a giant fan of country music. The closet I get is Lil Nas X, so "Rodeo" is sort of my anthem for this era. I like Hans Zimmer's "My Mind Rebels in Stagnation" from the Sherlock Holmes OST, especially the second half. I think it fits the eerie tone that Era 2 can sometimes have, especially when it involves crime and The Set. 

I like to play Kevin Gates' "Two Phones" in Shadows of Self during

Spoiler

Wax's final confrontation with Bleeder

but that's more of a weird personal association my mind has made. But I think David Arnold's theme for The Woman in BBC's Sherlock is a great way to end Shadows of Self

Spoiler

However, for that book overall I prefer Hans Zimmer's "Submarine." The song is so tense, as if any second you could explode, and I feel like that captures the tone of Shadows of Self incredibly well. 

Spoiler

For Stormlight...well...it's different. You see, when I imagine Stormlight, I think of it as an anime. That means Intros and Outros. I also try to give characters sort of theme songs. These aren't always related to the Intros or Outros, but in some cases they are. I'll be listing my own playlist for the most part here, and which characters or books are associated. Wit's epilogues are linked to a song by The Weeknd. I don't know why. They just fit. 

Right now I'm putting down Bring Me the Horizon's "Can You Feel My Heart" as the theme song, but this may switch to be Rhythm of War's song eventually. I'm not entirely sure.

Spoiler

Kaladin - "Drown" by Bring Me the Horizon; "We Rise" by San Holo; and "Throne" by Bring Me the Horizon

Spoiler

Shallan - "On & On" by Cartoon (when things are going good in TWOK); "Zephyrus" by Bloc Party (when things get creepy); and "Persona" by Coldrain

Spoiler

Dalinar - "Sins of the Father" by Donna Burke; "Wretches and Kings" by Linkin Park 

Spoiler

Adolin - "Classic Man" by Jidenna (it doesn't fully fit, but I like the tone and swagger it gives Adolin)

Lift - "PUPA" by Nothing's Carved In Stone. I feel like this song really fit's Lift's attitude and image, but I can also see the lyrics fitting what little we know of Rhythm of War (I haven't read the preview chapters and will abstain from doing so, so I'm not entirely sure it fits the tone). As it stands, this is the Opening for Lift's book as well as her theme song. 

Spoiler

Shalash - "Gravity (Album Mix)" by Nothing's Carved In Stone. I think this song fits the required angst that Ash and the Heralds should have, as well as alluding to a level of intimacy between Ash and Taln that we got hints of in OB. As with "PUPA" and Lift, this is Ash's theme song and her book's Opening at this point. 

Spoiler

The Way of Kings - "Re: I Am" (English version*) & "Ref:rain" by Aimer 

Spoiler

Wit's Epilogue - "Party Monster" by The Weeknd 

Words of Radiance - "Words That Bind Us," "Song for an Assassin" & "Assassin" by Nothing's Carved In Stone. 

Spoiler

Wit Epilogue - I haven't actually found The Weeknd's song for this one yet, but I'm sure it'll appear someday. 

Oathbringer - "Insane Dream" & "Us" by Aimer.

Wit Epilogue - "Devil May Cry" by The Weeknd

For Non-Cosmere works, I'm still trying to figure out the Reckoners series stuff, but Man of Steel's soundtrack fits pretty well. 

Skyward's theme song is "Tribal" by Kicks n Licks. Future bass fits the aesthetic, tone, and overall atmosphere of the Cytoverse, and going tribal is something Spensa would definitely do! The whole soundtrack is another xKito mix, but this one's still on YouTube!

Spoiler

Starsight's theme song is "Fine" by Mike Shinoda. It captures the creepy aesthetic that Spensa's mission carries with it, and the threats she faces. It's a tonal shift, but aren't most of the best sequels? 

Spoiler

*The Japanese version is my theme song for the Wheel of Time, so I feel like putting it here is WoT handing the reins to its successor. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

@kelbeaI forgot to add some stuff! 

The theme-song for Mistborn Era 1 is "Pray For Me," by Kendrick Lamar and The Weeknd. The lyrics fit SO WELL. 

https://genius.com/The-weeknd-and-kendrick-lamar-pray-for-me-lyrics

I also like "Survive" by Rise Against as the sort of "end credits song" if you will. Not much for the tone, but some of the lyrics carry the message pretty well. 

For the climax/Sanderlanche of Skyward, love listening to Aimer's "Closer." It emphasizes that sort of YA punk tone while still keeping the tension high and the focus on the battle. 

https://genius.com/Aimer-closer-lyrics

Spoiler

...yeah, I recommend Aimer a lot, but a lot of her songs just seem to fit Sanderson stuff!