RoW Chapter 4 & 5 Discussion

Jofwu

My reactions:

I love how Shallan is switching between her aspects like normal people switch beween their moods or skills. Also her greater confidence and how she so easily manipulates the Sons of Honor, at least as far as we have seen.  I like how the characters learn to exploit their weaknesses and forge them into strengths. 

Kaladin needs to reach rock bottom before he is able to swear his next ideal. He is so strong and hard headed that he is unable to bend or open up to new insight. I think he will just become more depressed, sleepless and frustrated until he breaks and realizes what he needs to do. It is so typical for burnout syndrome. Check out his symptoms here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/high-octane-women/201311/the-tell-tale-signs-burnout-do-you-have-them

If Kaladin really hits rock bottom, I hope this will be what he needs to build himself up from solid ground and progress with his ideals.

I also love how we can see that the singers have been in culture with Honor and Cultivation for a much longer time than the humans. Their traditions are much more honorable and more cultivated than the humans'. But since they took over Odium from the humans, they have been forced to change on the surface. 

I also love that Sanderson does not bother with telling us everything that has happened since last time in all detail. We obviously have more exciting stories to come! Bring them on!

Did anyone else find the kidnapping conversation.....odd?  Shallan/Veil/Radiant (SVR?) gets kidnapped.  The hood comes off and she has two sentences of confusion, not fear or anger.  Then falls into an almost normal conversation.  I would think the SoH would expect more fight or pushback.  I find it so unnatural, I'm struggling to enjoy the rest of the chapters. 

23 hours ago, Harbour said:

Yes and then

Hide contents

he will die in the middle of his own :rolleyes:

While I really hope this happens (I know, I know, I'm an awful person), I don't think it will. I think we saw that happen with 

Spoiler

Elokhar's death and him almost speaking the first ideal

I'm a little worried that what will happen is

Spoiler

Moash kills Kaladin and that will spur his search for redemption

19 minutes ago, Jenet said:

Kaladin needs to reach rock bottom before he is able to swear his next ideal. He is so strong and hard headed that he is unable to bend or open up to new insight. I think he will just become more depressed, sleepless and frustrated until he breaks and realizes what he needs to do. It is so typical for burnout syndrome. Check out his symptoms here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/high-octane-women/201311/the-tell-tale-signs-burnout-do-you-have-them

Yep. Most people don't really change/recover until they have a "this is it" moment and they realize that they will probably die if they don't do something different.

1 minute ago, book.spren said:

Yep. Most people don't really change/recover until they have a "this is it" moment and they realize that they will probably die if they don't do something different.

Yes. I realized that this might be a topic interesting enough for a separate thread, so I started one. :)

Could the fused spears be made out of silver?

As I understand it, the differences between aluminium and silver seem to be that aluminium absorbs/negates investiture, using it up in the process, whereas silver is inert and blocks the investiture without actually interacting with it.

So if the spear were silver it would simply not interact with the investiture from the shardblade, hence blocking it's path and blocking the sword.

My understanding may very well be flawed, however

7 minutes ago, Harold said:

As I understand it, the differences between aluminium and silver seem to be that aluminium absorbs/negates investiture, using it up in the process, whereas silver is inert and blocks the investiture without actually interacting with it.

Generally when Brandon says silvery metal he means aluminum.  We were given to understand it could block shardblades by Mr T during OB.  We don't really know the full properties of silver(or aluminum for that matter).

A couple of thoughts on the chapter. Firstly, the way Kaladin views 50 fused makes you agree with the Heralds in the prologue to The Way of Kings. Jezrian says they have the Radiants, that will be enough. Even if there are 600 fused. The Ancient Radiants would stomp them most likely, considering how robust their orders were. The ones that would suffer would be all non-fused and non-radiants who would never have time to recover. The fused likely, began to just target scholars, artisans, black smiths and the like, during desolations, knowing that if they killed hundreds of these craftsmen and skilled laborers, the next desolation would be that much easier. Eventually they would get cornered by the Radiants and have to fight a pitched battle. But a few years later rinse and repeat.

I am curious how Dalinar survived when the fused targeted him. Would love a huge reveal next chapter about Oath Bringer and plate for Dalinar....I know....I know no shards for Bond Smiths, but desperate time for desperate measures. Honor blade+dead plate...+ Blackthorn+Bond Smith powers= winning at life and lots of dead fused lol. 

Finally, air ships. The have the ability I think to be quite fast. So far they are moving without lashings or sails. It seems like a Wind Runner of the Fourth ideal might be able to summon a strong breeze and certainly can provide the lashings. So I would put a two Wind Runners, their squires, and two edge dancers on each ship. Use the ships to rain arrows, spears, and maybe cannons just for our heroes though :-)