RoW Chapter 4 & 5 Discussion

Jofwu

"Shallan had a fleeting thought, wondering at the seamstress they’d hired to do all this work. What had they told her? “Yes, we want twenty identical, mysterious robes, sewn with ancient arcane symbols. They’re for… parties.”

This line was hilarious and reminded me a lot of the secret organisation in Hot Fuzz (the greater good...) 

Edited by Drayal
adding quote

Cord has been to Aimia?!?

Oh and Dalinar can just whip open a perpendicularity.

Glad to know that Taln and Ash are helping them (but then again, it was Jasnah who interviewed them... While I hope she didn't have to resort to it, I can see her using "enhanced interrogation" techniques)

including Cord, who carried Amaram’s old Shardbow strapped to her back and wore the full set of Shardplate she’d found in Aimia.

Whaaa? Dawnshard Novella? Who has Amaram's old plate, another of Rock's kids maybe? 

I wonder why the Honorspren suddenly stopped bonding? It's not the Stormfather, he was against it from the start and yet Honorspren followed Syl's lead. My evidence-free theory is that one of the Heralds is in Lasting Integrity being a bad influence. 

the Fused had focused their attacks on Dalinar. Today they buzzed the ship—but didn’t try to strike at the Bondsmith. They were afraid of him for reasons nobody yet understood, and only committed to a full assault on him if they had overwhelming numbers and ground support.

Because he has Ishar's powers and Ishar came up with the Oathpact that bound the Fused in the first place? Or something else. Dalinar can create Honor's  perpendicularity, so that's an extra reason to kill him. Weird that they only attack him when they have a huge advantage. He has no plate or blade, what can he do that they are so scared of? 

“Now you care?” he snapped.

Kaladin, stop it. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

The sons of honor are rather disappointing. Gavilar you sly man using them like a tool!! Protect that Oathgate you fools. Hmm... one that concerns Mraize interesting. Dalinar's Perpendicularity? Cue mouth hanging open. The heralds giving their wisdom nice!! So the Honorspren are already reluctant hmm...  Leshwi and Kaladin have a thing huh interesting. In other news Dawnshard can't come fast enough!! Plate on Aimia what is going on here? What are they hding in those holds? Navani what have you cooked up? The fused fear him with good reason. Kal buddy, your friends care stop shutting them out. As for Syl “And don’t you dare return!” she shouted up at the departing Fused. “Or we’ll… um… come up with a better insult than this one" I love that spren!! Adolin you ruined the plan great job! No mention of Szeth yet interesting. 

1 minute ago, Agent34 said:

Third Ideal might be the bar. At least it is for the Skybreakers, but then Jasnah uses Shardplate as the mark of a full Radiant.

I really think he meant second ideal. To Windrunners you need a Honorspren to bond before swearing to protect those who can't defend themselves 

5 minutes ago, Cheat Commando said:

Cord has been to Aimia?!?

Oh and Dalinar can just whip open a perpendicularity.

Glad to know that Taln and Ash are helping them (but then again, it was Jasnah who interviewed them... While I hope she didn't have to resort to it, I can see her using "enhanced interrogation" techniques)

I assume she went to Aimia during the events of dawnshard. I guess time will tell

1 minute ago, Oltux72 said:

Can we read this battle as squires just requiring any Windrunner Knight nearby? That is they are not Kaladin's personal squires, but those of the Windrunners?

Yeah, I read that as they have 300 total Windrunners, but only 50 have a spren. The other 250 can't all be Kaladin's squires. 

5 minutes ago, Drayal said:

Kaladin's potential romantic interests seem to be a much greater focus this time around. Bye bye shallan now we got 

Lyn? 

Kara?? 

and best of all 

Leshwi???????

Things are getting interesting now. Who needs Shallan and her lightweaving when you have got an immortal crazed killer.

2 minutes ago, Mikelowry said:

So apparently we just talk to heralds now...

take day trips to Ameia 

ohh time for a perpendicularity...

so much given in 1 chapter.

Kind of scares me, for how big the scope is getting so quickly!! 

This really gives me the (refreshing) feeling each SA arc will be a complete arc. The secrets has been progressively uncovered, and power levels are fasting scaling. I didn't expect a fight like that in the first SA arc, but I'm grateful that Sanderson is giving it to us. Waiting over 10 years for the second arc to see a "true" Desolation war would be really frustrating 

I expect this will be the last week we get two chapters; we're only getting through Chapter 19, and one chapter a week from this point on will give us Chapter 19 on the 10th, a week before release. (Although we're about up at the SDCC reading, so it will fill like even less.)

Thoughts on this week's chapters:

• "Forcing herself to stay in character, Veil gazed up with wonder and confusion, then shied back against the chasm wall, startling a cremling with dark purple colorings." Aimia watch, DefCon 3.
  • "Mraize had explained about this group and their efforts to bring back the Heralds—who had actually never been gone. Gavilar had led them along, used their resources—and their hearts—to further his own goals. During that time, they’d briefly been important movers in the world." So Gavilar didn't come out of the Sons of Honor; he was much like Shallan and the Ghostbloods, using them for his own purposes somehow.
  • I'm trying to keep this Sons of Honor plotline in perspective. Based on Part 1 being the climax of a "hypothetical" book whose contents cover the intervening year, I'm thinking that they really are going to be wrapped up pretty soon. But what about Restares? He's had his name thrown around a few times, and we've gotten zero payoff for that.
  • Fifty honorspren as the hard cap. There's our hints towards the publisher's summary; not that honorspren are no longer willing, but that only a small group will, and now they need to convince the main body. This is still pretty substantial; the Recreance vision had, what, 200 Windrunners?
  • The duels are another very big echo from Way of Kings Prime. "He hadn’t expected to find honor among the enemy." The singers were of Honor, originally.
  • "They had trained for millennia with their powers, and they could fly forever without running out of Voidlight. They only drained it to heal, and—he’d heard—to perform the occasional rare Lashing." Very interesting. I'd been wondering if the Fused Surgebinding was a recent invention, but now it seems that they've had it as long as they've been Fused. When they find a new order of Fused (like in the previous chapters), it's not that the Fused discover a new power; it's just that the humans meet a new kind. (Which, looking back on it, can probably be inferred from Moash seeing nine kinds of Fused, but I wasn't sure that all nine kinds had Surgebinding yet, or if they were aligning themselves into groups more thematically in anticipation of discovering powers. But that seems pretty settled, at this point.)
  • "More importantly, it was set with a gemstone at its base. If the weapon struck Kaladin, that gemstone would suck away Kaladin’s Stormlight and render him unable to heal—a potentially deadly tool against a Radiant, even one infused by Dalinar’s perpendicularity." Sounds a little bit like the fabrial epigraph we just got.
  • "including Cord, who carried Amaram’s old Shardbow strapped to her back and wore the full set of Shardplate she’d found in Aimia." Wait, what? What did Rock do with Amaram's Plate, if that's not Cord's?