Zane questions

PleatherDuster

Is it ever revealed why Zane was spiked? Or rather by who? Obviously it was a means Ruin to control him, but who would have had the knowledge to do so. His father? An inquisitor? I always assumed that plot point was going to come back at some point, but I think it's just mentioned that one time and then dropped. It seemed strange that after he died, no one inspected the body and noticed the spike.

Also, didn't he have a bag of Atium on him? I figured Vin would end up with his Atium, but I believe she didn't have any from then on out. 

As mentioned Zane did it to himself:

Kaimipono

Did Zane get spiked intentionally? Did someone else (Straff?) know about hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

Zane spiked himself. It was...a very twisted and messy process. Note that Ruin tries to get Spook to do something similar. It's much easier for him to work with someone to get them to spike themselves than it is to arrange the exact circumstances where someone gets spiked.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Brandon mentioned much more recently that he hopes to explain how it happened eventually.

As for Zane's atium cache, I thought there was a WoB on this but I can't find any that talk about it right now. Assuming Ruin didn't have one of his Inquisitors retrieve the stuff (since unlike the main cache hidden in the Kandra homeland, he knew where Zane's was) it's possible that this missing stash of atium is going to come into play in the final Era 2 book. It is after all named The Lost Metal and we know that atium is called that in-universe. But that's just guesswork right now.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Weltall said:

it's possible that this missing stash of atium is going to come into play in the final Era 2 book. It is after all named The Lost Metal and we know that atium is called that in-universe. But that's just guesswork right now.

Well that would be a crazy plot twist!

If Atium is central to the plot in the last book (and I really hope it is...), I wonder if it will be used Feruchemically or Allomantically? For Allomancy, you'd need an Atium misting--and how would someone even know that they were one? OR a full Mistborn--which is what I'm hoping for! The series is called "Mistborn" after all. Era 2 needs a Mistborn!

Atium used via Feruchemy would be interesting ....it stores Determination? 

• 1 year later...

As for Zane's atium cache, I thought there was a WoB on this but I can't find any that talk about it right now. Assuming Ruin didn't have one of his Inquisitors retrieve the stuff (since unlike the main cache hidden in the Kandra homeland, he knew where Zane's was) it's possible that this missing stash of atium is going to come into play in the final Era 2 book. It is after all named The Lost Metal and we know that atium is called that in-universe. But that's just guesswork right now.

I, too, thought there was a WoB; but have been unable to find it. 

I always imagined that TenSoon took it with him to the Homeland to add to the Trust - but I really just think it was a plot hole. . .

The goal is to have a reference with how each book interconnects with the others, categorized as

• Spoilers For:
    •  Content that may be spoiled if not read before this book
  • Spoiled by:
    •  Content that may spoil this book if read before this book
  • References:
    •  Referenced content thats impact this book
  • Easter Eggs:
    •  Referenced content that do not significantly impact this book

SEL

Elantris

Spoilers For:

Spoiler

None

Spoiled by:

Spoiler

None

References:

Spoiler

None

Easter Eggs:

Spoiler

Hoid

The Hope of Elantris

Spoilers For:

Spoiler

Elantris

Spoiled by:

Spoiler

None

References:

Spoiler

None

Easter Eggs:

Spoiler

None

The Emperor's Soul

Spoilers For:

Spoiler

None

Spoiled by:

Spoiler

None

References:

Spoiler

None

Easter Eggs:

Spoiler

Elantris

Edited by Treamayne
Experiment

it's possible that this missing stash of atium is going to come into play in the final Era 2 book. It is after all named The Lost Metal and we know that atium is called that in-universe. But that's just guesswork right now.

It's been implied that the "lost metal" is harmonium, the last god metal.

Edit: Maybe that's my own wishful interpretation.

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

26 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

But harmonium is not a "lost metal" in Era 2

To the Northerners it's been completely unknown since Harmony's Ascension (you can't lose what was never had), and to the Southerners it's evidently a routine part of their Metallic Arts based technology

The fact that Zane spiked himself because he was crazy bothers me. I really liked it when Ruin tells Zane that he was never really insane. And it hurts my feelings that Ruin lied to us readers.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, PleatherDuster said:

Well that would be a crazy plot twist!

If Atium is central to the plot in the last book (and I really hope it is...), I wonder if it will be used Feruchemically or Allomantically?

Feruchemically, would mean that someone (i.e. Marsh is using it to live for a very long time, so yeah... It is being compounded for that (with both Feruchemistry and Allomancy) similar to what the Lord Ruler did in the first book, but using it for just Feruchemistry is less useful)

For Allomancy, you'd need an Atium misting--and how would someone even know that they were one? OR a full Mistborn--which is what I'm hoping for! The series is called "Mistborn" after all. Era 2 needs a Mistborn!

Also, to clarify so that no one takes the older posts above at face value. Some time after this post was made, Brandon has released that Atium can be burned by anyone. Atium in the Pits of Hathsin in era 1 was tainted so only Electrum Mistings and Mistborn could use it. I think that this "Lost Metal" could be pure Atium.  

Atium used via Feruchemy would be interesting ....it stores Determination? 

Frustration is correct. It stores youth.

10 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Edit: Maybe that's my own wishful interpretation.

So, Atium is the lost metal, not Harmonium which is Ettmetal

"Ettmetal, also known as harmonium, is the God Metal of Harmony." -Coppermind