What?

What?

There... isn't a Harry Potter guild thread already? WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO???

I may be a few days late, but just last Friday was the official Harry Potter day. Once upon a time, it celebrated the Boy Who Lived and his remarkable book series, but now it represents readers, fans, and media all over the world.

So... nerd out, everybody.

15 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

What?

What?

There... isn't a Harry Potter guild thread already? WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO???

I may be a few days late, but just last Friday was the official Harry Potter day. Once upon a time, it celebrated the Boy Who Lived and his remarkable book series, but now it represents readers, fans, and media all over the world.

So... nerd out, everybody.

WHAT???

There isn't one of these already???

I would love to join!!! What's everyone's house? I'm a Ravenclaw, and I know Fadran is, too, but what is everyone else?

Not entirley sure. Every non-official quiz tells me I'm a Hufflepuff, but the Pottermore one says Ravenclaw. So I'm going with that because I like Ravenclaw better because it's the official one.

My Patronus is a Mongrel Dog

I love all these memes! And I should take the quizzes, hmm. 

Quick check, we separate the art from the author in these parts, yes? We all agree it’s okay to like Harry Potter even though JKR is who she is? 

AE8112B6-042C-4FB7-88E9-06FD3A3A2890.jpeg

1 minute ago, AonEne said:

I love all these memes! And I should take the quizzes, hmm. 

Quick check, we separate the art from the author in these parts, yes? We all agree it’s okay to like Harry Potter even though JKR is who she is? 

AE8112B6-042C-4FB7-88E9-06FD3A3A2890.jpeg

I've seen this. It's still pretty funny. :lol:

Kind of ironic (is this considered irony?) that I am straight, and therefore am "like being in Gryffindor" but I am a Ravenclaw. So, in this, they are lumping me, a Ravenclaw, in with the Gryffindors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, AonEne said:

Depends on if you hate her. I have trouble with that because one of my closest friends has similar opinions and we have some really heated arguments because of that from time to time, and he's still one of my closest friends. I just want to believe there's more to her as a person than the bad stuff.

But I don't want to turn this into an argument. Hi, everyone, Ravenclaw here.

Horned Serpent.

Red Squirrel. 

English oak wood with a unicorn hair core, 10 ¾" and slightly springy flexibility.

I’m a ravenclaw with the patronus of a red squirrel. Harry Potter is fun, and it’s even more fun to sort out all the plot holes! (Not meant to be rude, but there’s a lot of em And it is genuinely entertaining to sort them).

@AonEne, it is a shame that JKR is a person that breaks canon to try and be inclusive, is lowkey a misandrist, and is a filthy transphobe (specifically MtF trans, not MtF, for some reason). But she did make some great work. I’d love to separate the two, but it gets problematic. She tries to break some canon for the sake of inclusivity, such as saying she didn’t specifically make hermione white, which definitely blurs the lines. And it’s hard to love the work if the author hates you, in the case of trans people. 
it’s a big debate that is a tough one, but do what you want, no one’s judgin ya.

Edited by Koloss17
Forgot to quote

@Koloss17 my opinion is to praise the art, not the artist. Some people deify creators and will defend their actions no matter what, simply because they created something they like. I feel like I can still enjoy HP while acknowledging the author's faults. But idk that's just been the way I treat art and your opinion is also good and valid.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, AonEne said:

I...I'm probably in the minority on this and am not going to get anywhere with this, but hey, I've become more of a Gryffindor in recent years and we do dumb stuff. :P

"...even though JKR is who she is?" feels unnecessarily harsh. When the headlines were breaking out in fury, my first reaction was to see it for myself, and, after reading through what she'd written, essay included, multiple times, I honestly just felt bad for her. Additionally, I felt that anyone up in angst about her comments had completely missed her point--to allow for nuanced open discourse of all topics without silencing out of fear. The sense of irony has only kept growing...

I'm not going to say I agree with many of her beliefs, but on that point I do. We cannot silence opinions we disagree with, no matter if they are harmful or not, for there will come a day when that turns around to hurt us. 

Is it hurtful? Yes, it most definitely can be. It can be harmful and damaging and misleading and painful, but that openess is necessary for a continued healthy society.

Those are my two cents. You can toss them away or keep them if you'd like.

1 hour ago, Silva said:

I...I'm probably in the minority on this and am not going to get anywhere with this, but hey, I've become more of a Gryffindor in recent years and we do dumb stuff. :P

"...even though JKR is who she is?" feels unnecessarily harsh. When the headlines were breaking out in fury, my first reaction was to see it for myself, and, after reading through what she'd written, essay included, multiple times, I honestly just felt bad for her. Additionally, I felt that anyone up in angst about her comments had completely missed her point--to allow for nuanced open discourse of all topics without silencing out of fear. The sense of irony has only kept growing...

I'm not going to say I agree with many of her beliefs, but on that point I do. We cannot silence opinions we disagree with, no matter if they are harmful or not, for there will come a day when that turns around to hurt us. 

Is it hurtful? Yes, it most definitely can be. It can be harmful and damaging and misleading and painful, but that openess is necessary for a continued healthy society.

Those are my two cents. You can toss them away or keep them if you'd like.

It is definitely important to not silence those who have separate opinions that you do. That fringes on authoritarian tendancies for any group. I also find it important to try to make sure that things are kind and do not hurt others. What people say are their own to say, but what they do can affect everyone else. So far, Rowling has only said stuff, and it’s fair to distance or stay with the person for who they are.