2 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria moaned, attuned confusion.

"Orb?"

"ZARIA! You're awake!"

She opened her eyes.

"What... what is going on?"

"You had a seizure in the burning building, I managed to get you out and gave you some stormlight to heal your harm and burn. Are you felling ok?"

Just now, mathiau said:

"You had a seizure in the burning building, I managed to get you out and gave you some stormlight to heal your harm and burn. Are you felling ok?"

"And this is what happens when I try to help. I'm fine. Although, I feel like I am going to throw up. Who are you?"

Just now, Random Bystander said:

"And this is what happens when I try to help. I'm fine. Although, I feel like I am going to throw up. Who are you?"

"My name is Folorian, I'm a lightweaver and archivist from the Scholar guild."

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this thread. I didn't mean to keep you waiting, mathiau - that's my bad.

Aln gratefully inhaled the stormlight Folorian had given her, feeling the heat and pain of the flames recede. The man beneath the beam blearily opened his eyes, and Aln grabbed his arm, helping him to his feet. The two of them carefully navigated through the rest of the building, Pel guiding the way. Coughing as she stumbled into the sunlight, she was relieved to see hospital workers arriving on the scene. They'd hopefully take care of anyone else trapped in the building. She spotted a medic staring in confusion at the tree in the midst of the wreckage, and handed care of the injured man over to her. 

The stormlight helped stave off ohysical exhaustion, but it did nothing for Aln's mental state as she looked around for Folorian. Too much was happening at once. Far too much. Finally she saw him, talking to a young woman on the ground, and she headed over to join them. In lieu of a greeting, she dropped to the grass beside him with the words, "What is wrong with this city, Folorian? We can't go two days without three separate buildings blowing up or being attacked." She looked at his conversational companion and dialed back her exasperation. "Ah, hello there. I'm Aln, leader of the Scholar's Guild."

@mathiau @Random Bystander

8 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln gratefully inhaled the stormlight Folorian had given her, feeling the heat and pain of the flames recede. The man beneath the beam blearily opened his eyes, and Aln grabbed his arm, helping him to his feet. The two of them carefully navigated through the rest of the building, Pel guiding the way. Coughing as she stumbled into the sunlight, she was relieved to see hospital workers arriving on the scene. They'd hopefully take care of anyone else trapped in the building. She spotted a medic staring in confusion at the tree in the midst of the wreckage, and handed care of the injured man over to her. 

The stormlight helped stave off ohysical exhaustion, but it did nothing for Aln's mental state as she looked around for Folorian. Too much was happening at once. Far too much. Finally she saw him, talking to a young woman on the ground, and she headed over to join them. In lieu of a greeting, she dropped to the grass beside him with the words, "What is wrong with this city, Folorian? We can't go two days without three separate buildings blowing up or being attacked." She looked at his conversational companion and dialed back her exasperation. "Ah, hello there. I'm Aln, leader of the Scholar's Guild."

@mathiau @Random Bystander

"Um, hi. I'm Zaria, and this is Orb." She pointed to Orb

"She better have a good excuse for ignoring me." Orb muttered

She attuned Amusement. "She was probably distracted. I mean, the building HAD just exploded."

"That... is actually a fairly good reason. But still, it was rude."

Edited by Random Bystander

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this thread. I didn't mean to keep you waiting, mathiau - that's my bad.

She says after I left her waiting for four months

Also, I'll consider Aln is leaning on Folorian, otherwise there'd be no reason for him to her Aln which would make things worse for her

Alanis needed emotional support, Folorian had no idea how to give it, he remembered some psychologist advised having the patient talk about what happen could help, and he really wanted to know what had happened to the guild and that other place she was talking about

“You said three? I know of the guild and this place -which by the way was another guild unless I’m mistaken, but what was the third?”

@Rushu42@Random Bystander

Edited by mathiau

2 hours ago, mathiau said:

She says after I left her waiting for four months

Also, I'll consider Aln is leaning on Folorian, otherwise there'd be no reason for him to her Aln which would make things worse for her

Okay, well, yes, but even so.

Yeah, that makes sense. At this point they're probably used to each other's curses well enough that tapping on the shoulder or whatever is a habit. (Speaking of which, it probably makes sense for Aln's bane to make her unable to see Folorian's words, but this thread is complicated enough at the moment - I'm just going to ignore it for now.)

"A fight broke out at the festival, remember? There was that armored car and a bunch of Radiants, and it ended with a building on fire. Plus, there's -" she broke off, looking at Zaria, then continued, "that thing that I still need to talk to you about."

Aln sighed again, grateful for Folorian's presence. Even if everything was going to pieces around her, at least she still had a friend.

2 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Yeah, that makes sense. At this point they're probably used to each other's curses well enough that tapping on the shoulder or whatever is a habit. (Speaking of which, it probably makes sense for Aln's bane to make her unable to see Folorian's words, but this thread is complicated enough at the moment - I'm just going to ignore it for now.)

During the festival we had decided Folorian's words were disappearing but still readable (a bit like Aln's sister's) and that Folorian used lightweaving to help

Also I had completely forgotten about that attack, oops

2 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"A fight broke out at the festival, remember? There was that armored car and a bunch of Radiants, and it ended with a building on fire. Plus, there's -" she broke off, looking at Zaria, then continued, "that thing that I still need to talk to you about."

Aln sighed again, grateful for Folorian's presence. Even if everything was going to pieces around her, at least she still had a friend.

Buildings on fire were essentially the same as exploding buildings, indeed.

"Oh yes, I remember, we were helped by an elscaller and a pulser, Byron if I recall correctly? He was in the guild building last time I saw it, is he alright?"

27 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Buildings on fire were essentially the same as exploding buildings, indeed.

"Oh yes, I remember, we were helped by an elscaller and a pulser, Byron if I recall correctly? He was in the guild building last time I saw it, is he alright?"

Alright, we can go with that, then.

"I don't know. I don't think he was there, but other people were... I don't know if any of them are okay..." She fell silent for a moment. "I ran away. Pel thinks I shouldn't have, but what could I have done? I don't know how to fight. I'm just a scholar."

On 12/25/2020 at 3:10 AM, Lord_Silberfarben said:

His soldier --Lord didn't know her name and didn't care much--  was having trouble with the combination for the door. Understandable, with the shock wave and the smoke it was surprising she was on her feet, but it was still very unnerving.

"it is very easy!" He ranted on, "two sets of a two followed by a four, then a two repeated two times and then another four..."

He was cut off by a shape hurrying through the smoke, illuminating it with Stormlight.

"How fortunate! please, I need help! my friend here has some trouble with this lock!"

@Ashbringer

Cassie heard a voice calling from within a less fire-y part of the building and was surprised to see... Lord, in a cage. Trying to get someone to open the door. Calling for help.

She hesitated. She... she could walk away. Leave him to burn. But... no, she needed him. And there would be other rescuers coming.

She had to get Lord out. But that didn't mean she had to do it nicely.

Cassie stepped over a burning beam, then lightly pushed aside the fumbling soldier and examined the cage. An intricate locking mechanism, metal bars, and glass, with Lord sitting behind. She doubted she could even understand how the lock worked. But she didn't really need to.

She pressed her freehand and its Soulcaster against the lock. You. Will. Change.

And the lock melted into mercury, letting the door swing open.

"What have you done, Lord?" she asked quietly.

20 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"I don't know. I don't think he was there, but other people were... I don't know if any of them are okay..." She fell silent for a moment. "I ran away. Pel thinks I shouldn't have, but what could I have done? I don't know how to fight. I'm just a scholar."

Folorian gave a look at what he had in his metalminds on honour and on fleeing to survive

"What is the point of rushing to fight if you'll just die before you can help? Is it not better to flee and survive until you find a battlefield where you can actually help? Our sprens always push us to become better but I'm not sure they always realize how weak we are, Kerr's been trying for five years to get me to open that copermind, the one with a memory so painful I excised it from my brain among with everything that could give me any chance to know what it was about, and I'm only now starting to be ready." and he would not open it while Aln was in that state, he could not risk breaking down while she needed him.

hmmm... You always got excuses

This time it's a good one, for once.

hmmm...

"Aln, I... I think we should learn how to fight, at least a little, so we can at least do something if it happen again."

Edited by mathiau
five years not ten, I'm getting mixed up in my own lore

19 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Folorian gave a look at what he had in his metalminds on honour and on fleeing to survive

"What is the point of rushing to fight if you'll just die before you can help? Is it not better to flee and survive until you find a battlefield where you can actually help? Our sprens always push us to become better but I'm not sure they always realize how weak we are, Kerr's been trying for ten years to get me to open that copermind, the one with a memory so painful I excised it from my brain among with everything that could give me any chance to know what it was about, and I'm only now starting to be ready." and he would not open it while Aln was in that state, he could not risk breaking down while she needed him.

hmmm...

"Aln, I... I think we should learn how to fight, at least a little, so we can at least do something if it happen again."

Zaria attuned determination. " I am a Willshaper, and I can shape solid objects. Give me a few spheres, and I can help them. The seizure was a fluke."

Just now, Random Bystander said:

Zaria attuned determination. " I am a Willshaper, and I can shape solid objects. Give me a few spheres, and I can help them. The seizure was a fluke."

There's no way Folorian heard that, he can focus and a conversation with multiple persons but I don't see any way he's not fully focused on Alanis

@Rushu42

28 minutes ago, mathiau said:

"What is the point of rushing to fight if you'll just die before you can help? Is it not better to flee and survive until you find a battlefield where you can actually help? Our sprens always push us to become better but I'm not sure they always realize how weak we are, Kerr's been trying for ten years to get me to open that copermind, the one with a memory so painful I excised it from my brain among with everything that could give me any chance to know what it was about, and I'm only now starting to be ready." and he would not open it while Aln was in that state, he could not risk breaking down while she needed him.

hmmm...

8 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"That might be helpful, thank you," she replied distractedly, giving a nod in Zaria's direction to indicate to Folorian who she was responding to. "But... Folorian, I'm not learning how to fight. Using my abilities to hurt other people, even with good cause? It just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's foolish idealism to think I can solve all my problems without violence, but there's usually another way, if you look hard enough." 

Aln looked around. Everyone else on the scene was distracted by the fire. Only Folorian and Zaria appeared to be in earshot. She decided to risk it. "There's another reason I ran. There's something we need to figure out, and if my hunch is right, it might be even more important than reclaiming the guild. I can remember things that never happened. Not just a few confused recollections, either - I have memories of an entire life, different from this one. It's like an alternate reality." She looked around again. "The memories contain things that make me think they're more than hallucinations - predictions of things I couldn't have known, information I never learned. And mythology come to life. It might be the reason the guild was attacked. I'm sorry to put you in danger by telling you, but I need your help."

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"That might be helpful, thank you," she replied distractedly, giving a nod in Zaria's direction to indicate to Folorian who she was responding to. "But... Folorian, I'm not learning how to fight. Using my abilities to hurt other people, even with good cause? It just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's foolish idealism to think I can solve all my problems without violence, but there's usually another way, if you look hard enough."

Folorian was able to focus on multiple people at once, but it made them 'blurry' and a conversation like the one he just had with Alanis required more than blurry people so he'd unconsciously shifted all his focus on her. He felt like this happened easier with Aln than with other people, but he did often have this kind of conversations with other people so he wasn't sure. Anyway that was finished so he shifted his focus to both Zaria and Alanis.

"I understand how you fell. I'm not sure whether I'm the same, but I'd probably quite useless in a fight even if I learned anyway"

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked around. Everyone else on the scene was distracted by the fire. Only Folorian and Zaria appeared to be in earshot. She decided to risk it. "There's another reason I ran. There's something we need to figure out, and if my hunch is right, it might be even more important than reclaiming the guild. I can remember things that never happened. Not just a few confused recollections, either - I have memories of an entire life, different from this one. It's like an alternate reality." She looked around again. "The memories contain things that make me think they're more than hallucinations - predictions of things I couldn't have known, information I never learned. And mythology come to life. It might be the reason the guild was attacked. I'm sorry to put you in danger by telling you, but I need your help."

Mythology come to life? Did she mean she seeing the fabled monsters under the city or outright seeing divinities the Lonely God?

"Don't act as if it was the first time you've dragged me in a dangerous adventure" he said with a smirk "And this time you're coming with the possibility of an alternate reality for the alleyverse, like with the Earths? It would be the discovery of the century! But before we do anything we need to get some stormlight -Zaria have our last broam, and probably a good night of sleep."

Edited by mathiau

14 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I guess we could go to your sister's boarding house?

In this timeline Temeria still has the boardinghouse, but it just opened, and Aln and Temeria haven't met yet, so it's unlikely that Folorian would know about it.

Just now, Rushu42 said:

In this timeline Temeria still has the boardinghouse, but it just opened, and Aln and Temeria haven't met yet, so it's unlikely that Folorian would know about it.

And it'd be even less likely he'd know about it in the other timeline. Edited

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

Folorian was able to focus on multiple people at once, but it made them 'blurry' and a conversation like the one he just had with Alanis required more than blurry people so he'd unconsciously shifted all his focus on her. He felt like this happened easier with Aln than with other people, but he did often have this kind of conversations with other people so he wasn't sure. Anyway that was finished so he shifted his focus to both Zaria and Alanis.

"I understand how you fell. I'm not sure whether I'm the same, but I'd probably quite useless in a fight even if I learned anyway"

Mythology come to life? Did she mean she seeing the fabled monsters under the city or outright seeing divinities the Lonely God?

"Don't act as if it was the first time you've dragged me in a dangerous adventure" he said with a smirk "And this time you're coming with the possibility of an alternate reality for the alleyverse, like with the Earths? It would be the discovery of the century! But before we do anything we need to get some stormlight -Zaria have our last broam, and probably a good night of sleep."

Zaria snorted. "I just need enough to go retrieve my spheres. The seizures don't tire me at all, and I slept not to long ago. I'll just take the stormlight." She paused. "Um, how exactly do we get stormlight? Neither of us remember. I have some ridiculous form of amnesia, that made both of us forget everything but each other, and both of our names. Orb remembers things occasionally, but hasn't remembered much about stormlight. I don't even know what WORLD I originated in."

"Oh, I remembered that while you were having a seizure. We are both from a planet called Roshar. I'll tell you more later, but for now we should go see if we can help others."

23 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Cassie heard a voice calling from within a less fire-y part of the building and was surprised to see... Lord, in a cage. Trying to get someone to open the door. Calling for help.

She hesitated. She... she could walk away. Leave him to burn. But... no, she needed him. And there would be other rescuers coming.

She had to get Lord out. But that didn't mean she had to do it nicely.

Cassie stepped over a burning beam, then lightly pushed aside the fumbling soldier and examined the cage. An intricate locking mechanism, metal bars, and glass, with Lord sitting behind. She doubted she could even understand how the lock worked. But she didn't really need to.

She pressed her freehand and its Soulcaster against the lock. You. Will. Change.

And the lock melted into mercury, letting the door swing open.

"What have you done, Lord?" she asked quietly.

Zaria used the stormlight, and ran back into the fire. She quickly found her bag of spheres. After helping someone out, she fell down a hole. She noticed someone opening what looked like a locked room. She quickly ran over to the person. "HEY! DO YOU NEED HELP?"

9 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria used the stormlight, and ran back into the fire. She quickly found her bag of spheres. After helping someone out, she noticed someone opening what looked like a locked room. She quickly ran over to the person. "HEY! DO YOU NEED HELP?"

They're underground, you shouldn't be able to see or hear them :)

11 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria snorted. "I just need enough to go retrieve my spheres. The seizures don't tire me at all, and I slept not to long ago. I'll just take the stormlight." She paused. "Um, how exactly do we get stormlight? Neither of us remember. I have some ridiculous form of amnesia, that made both of us forget everything but each other, and both of our names. Orb remembers things occasionally, but hasn't remembered much about stormlight. I don't even know what WORLD I originated in."

"Oh, I remembered that while you were having a seizure. We are both from a planet called Roshar. I'll tell you more later, but for now we should go see if we can help others."

"Does the words 'breathing in stormlight' bring any memory back?"

14 minutes ago, mathiau said:

"Does the words 'breathing in stormlight' bring any memory back?"

"No, I remembered that she could do that last week."

"Yeah. I got a concussion from that last seizure." She shuddered "It was awful."

I fixed my last post.