Whom was Gavilar using as guinea pigs?

Oltux72

Gavilar, sent a box to Braize. It was hardly empty, at least not on the second try. And I think we must assume that he made multiple experiments, just to make sure the result is repeatable. He could have start with an animal or a captured animal spren. But while it is easy to see that a box vanishes and reappears, I doubt he would claim that it reached Braize and returned without evidence. So I see two possibilities, which are not mutually exclusive

• he captured a voidspren on Braize
  • the box was crewed

Now, he could have used a prisoner or a condemned man. But in the end the box was at least also intended for the Heralds. Thus the question arises. Did Gavilar have a facility for creating Cognitive Shadows? If so, did he use it and where are the results?

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Gavilar, sent a box to Braize. It was hardly empty, at least not on the second try. And I think we must assume that he made multiple experiments, just to make sure the result is repeatable. He could have start with an animal or a captured animal spren. But while it is easy to see that a box vanishes and reappears, I doubt he would claim that it reached Braize and returned without evidence. So I see two possibilities, which are not mutually exclusive

In point of fact it was the Heralds that confirmed that the box was in fact going back and forth from Braize.  They could easily ID a captured Voidspren once one was brought back and given Navani's lecture I am sure they could provide instructions on how to catch one.

Edited by Karger

11 hours ago, Karger said:

In point of fact it was the Heralds that confirmed that the box was in fact going back and forth from Braize.  They could easily ID a captured Voidspren once one was brought back and given Navani's lecture I am sure they could provide instructions on how to catch one.

Well, yes. But why? That would involve building a mechanism for that. And yet sooner or later you'd have to prove that both legs of the voyage are survivable even to people.

52 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, yes. But why? That would involve building a mechanism for that. And yet sooner or later you'd have to prove that both legs of the voyage are survivable even to people.

Well Gavilar wants voidspren and that sort of thing is usually tested on animals first.  Gavilar would want some idea of where he was going before he upped it to human trails.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea that Gavilar was using guinea pigs, but this line about the SoH from the chapters released today stuck out like a sore thumb :

Mraize had explained about this group and their efforts to bring back the Heralds—who had actually never been gone. Gavilar had led them along, used their resources—and their hearts—to further his own goals.

Hey I’m just confused why everyone keeps on talking about the box traveling. For some reason I took the line gavilar said about the connection being unbroken to mean he had 2 boxes one on braize and and one kn disharmony that we’re linked and objects can pass from one to the other. Hence his claim that the connection is not broken. It’s sort of like the spa reefs except different that this fabrial sends Objects across distance. Admittedly one had to travel in the first place to braize. Not sure how gavilar pulled that off.

31 minutes ago, Passion said:

Hey I’m just confused why everyone keeps on talking about the box traveling.

1. The Heralds travel without a gate. So do the Fused.
  2. You have to make the initial trip by another route. The Heralds want to get away, not establish nicer trade routes.