Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kasimir

D A R K (Spoilers)

8 posts in this topic

"The truth is a strange thing. You can try to suppress it, but it will always find its way to the surface. We make a lie into our truth in order to survive. We try to forget, until we can't anymore. We don't even know half of the mysteries of this world. We're wanderers in the darkness."

Am in the middle of re-marathoning the German-language Netflix show, Dark, with a friend who has never seen it before. Where my Dark fans at? How do y'all find the show? :P My friend is getting me to do up the timelines with her now we're in Season 3 proper.

Edited by Kasimir

13 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Am in the middle of re-marathoning the German-language Netflix show, Dark, with a friend who has never seen it before. Where my Dark fans at? How do y'all find the show? :P My friend is getting me to do up the timelines with her now we're in Season 3 proper.

*Immediately upvotes* :P 

Hmm, how did I find it? I'm always on the hunt for new under-mentioned series that tend to fly under the radar, and try to propagate it to the world :P. I think I saw a poster with the triquetra with the years 1953, 1986, and 2019, and immediately perked up because I'm a sucker for time-travel stuff. S1 was released in December 2017, I believe, and I think I caught it in Feb 2018. How did you come across it? 

9 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

*Immediately upvotes* :P 

Hmm, how did I find it? I'm always on the hunt for new under-mentioned series that tend to fly under the radar, and try to propagate it to the world :P. I think I saw a poster with the triquetra with the years 1953, 1986, and 2019, and immediately perked up because I'm a sucker for time-travel stuff. S1 was released in December 2017, I believe, and I think I caught it in Feb 2018. How did you come across it? 

Dude, I was actually asking if people liked/enjoyed the show, i.e. please flail here :P But hey, this works!

The question is not how but when eh :P Uh, I don't remember how exactly but in November 2017, one of my German forums was getting super excited about this show coming up. They said, "Oh hey it looks like German Stranger Things." And I immediately said, "Okay, let's watch it," because the German media market these days is either comedies or crime shows :P As it turns out, I guess you could say Dark is technically both a crime show and a tragi-comedy so :P 

42 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Dude, I was actually asking if people liked/enjoyed the show, i.e. please flail here :P But hey, this works!

*facepalms* Right, that would be the obvious inference from your question. :P Don't know why my mind considered it how it did xD 

Oh, and I hate the comparison to Stranger Things (though I haven't seen it), because whenever I asked someone to watch, they'd go "Ohh, it's like the German version of Stranger Things right?", watch one episode, reaffirm the similarity with Stranger Things and pass over it. Only after I pestered them enough, they'd watch and come back like "Duuuude, this is so much better than Stranger Things!". So the comparison to a much more popular, mainstream show did NOT help Dark's viewership and popularity initially. Dark surged in popularity (like really surged) only after S3 was released, I feel. 

Edited by TJ Shade

10 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Oh, and I hate the comparison to Stranger Things (though I haven't seen it), because whenever I asked someone to watch, they'd go "Ohh, it's like the German version of Stranger Things right?", watch one episode, reaffirm the similarity with Stranger Things and pass over it. Only after I pestered them enough, they'd watch and come back like "Duuuude, this is so much better than Stranger Things!". So the comparison to a much more popular, mainstream show did NOT help Dark's viewership and popularity initially. Dark surged in popularity (like really surged) only after S3 was released, I feel. 

Oh, for sure. I definitely think that Stranger Things is a bad comparison — also, you're preaching to the choir because I love Dark more :P

I definitely think it only went mainstream after S3—I wasn't noticing much chatter about it until now. I like the scale of Dark — it's Winden family drama scope with apocalyptic consequences and I like how there are basically no angels. Just flawed messy human beings, intricate timelines, well-planned, well-woven. And the themes and quotes :P Oh shucks lemme add "Spoilers" to the thread title... 

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I definitely think it only went mainstream after S3—I wasn't noticing much chatter about it until now. I like the scale of Dark — it's Winden family drama scope with apocalyptic consequences and I like how there are basically no angels. Just flawed messy human beings, intricate timelines, well-planned, well-woven. And the themes and quotes :P Oh shucks lemme add "Spoilers" to the thread title... 

You forgot "really complicated family connections" xD I swear I broke my head in S1 to figure out who is who in different time periods. I had to pause repeatedly so my brain could digest the information to keep the connections solid. 

Godfather kissing hand Blank Template - Imgflip

How you feel when your friends finally watch Dark, and thank you for annoying them into watching it ^ :P 

8 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

You forgot "really complicated family connections" xD I swear I broke my head in S1 to figure out who is who in different time periods. I had to pause repeatedly so my brain could digest the information to keep the connections solid. 

Ngl, by Season 2, you know the first episode opener? My friend called old Bartosz off the bat. I was surprised because I hadn't made that assumption by then, and she was like, "I now assume every character I'm seeing is someone else's older/younger self." Which is...not wrong, by that point :P Adam totally threw her off though. She expected him to be super old Mikkel.

12 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

How you feel when your friends finally watch Dark, and thank you for annoying them into watching it ^ :P 

Indeed :P She still blames me for not nagging her more.

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

Ngl, by Season 2, you know the first episode opener? My friend called old Bartosz off the bat. I was surprised because I hadn't made that assumption by then, and she was like, "I now assume every character I'm seeing is someone else's older/younger self." Which is...not wrong, by that point :P Adam totally threw her off though. She expected him to be super old Mikkel.

Adam threw everyone off because... physical resemblance.:P But I actually think they did a fantastic job of finding actors who resemble their younger/older self. Especially with young!Hannah, young!Alexander, old!Ulrich, and old!Claudia. 

Care to ramble about your other favorite shows? Just mention them if you feel the thread will deviate from the topic. :P