post book depression.

I have read all of Sandersons books multiple times I have also read WoT the powder mage series Dresden files and a few other fantasy series and I am having a hard time finding anything in the fantasy genre that can hold a candle to any of Brandons work and I am trying to find another series that is good and need some help. Any suggestions?

It depends on what you want to read.  Fantasy, sci-fi, YA, adult?   I have some suggestions to start with, though.

1: Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien (adult fantasy)

2:The Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer (YA sci-fantasy)

3: Children of Time, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (adult sci-fi)

If you've already read these, I might be able to recommend some more!

8 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

. . . Dresden files Any suggestions?

If you liked Dresden, there's a somewhat similar series called Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.  If you watched the most recent live-stream, he's the guy who blurbed the UK cover for Rhythm of War and Sanderson said he really liked Rivers of London too.  :D

The first book is called Rivers of London in the UK, or Midnight Riot in the US.

Edited by Snorkel

Post book withdrawal, eh? We're all quite familiar with that sensation

If you liked the Reckoners, go for Worm by John McCrae or Vicious by Schwab

You should also check out His Dark Materials, if you haven't already

Dresden reminded me of Alex Vera series

Spren of Kindness mentioned the Lunar Chronicles, and I would agree that you should give them a try, they're some of my favorites. Another series by that author that's really good is Renegades. Especially if you liked the Reckoners you should read Renegades. The Renegades trilogy was the book that restored my hope in humanity's authors, as I had just had a good two year book drought, and had just about given up on finding good authors. I sped through the books in under a week, they were so good. When my sister saw I was reading Renegades, she gave me Steelheart, and I've been a Sanderson fan ever since.

2 hours ago, FriarFritz said:

I highly recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Excellent satirical fantasy, and there are 41 books, so it should last a while. You can read them in any order, really, but I'd advise starting with Guards, Guards!

But it can be better if you read the same-character-stories in order.  For some more than others - Guards! Guards! is indeed a really good starting place, and it's good to read before other City Watch stories.

Soul Music is one of the best. The whole Moist von Lipwig and Tiffany Aching series are great.  Thief of Time is amazing.

The first few books were still finding their feet, which is why The Colour of Magic isn't recommended as the first book to read.

All the Discworld books, but listed by main characters:

City Watch: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud!, Snuff

Witches: Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum

Death: Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time

Moist von Lipwig: Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam

Tiffany Aching (Children's/YA series): The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight, The Shepherd's Crown

Rincewind/wizards: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, The Last Continent, The Last Hero, Unseen Academicals

Other: Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods, The Truth, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (children's), Monstrous Regiment

PS Eric and The Last Hero are originally highly-illustrated, and that's the best way to read them, if you can find those editions.

Edited by Snorkel

If you don't mind slightly more contemporary fantasy, I'd suggest the Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Bennett Jackson. The magic system isn't super hard, but it's interesting and makes sense within the world, especially if you can read The Dresden Files. And on that note, seconding Rivers of London and Alex Verus. If you want something slightly different, there's Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, all within the urban fantasy ballpark. But the top on my list for that would be Divine Cities.

If you're into historical fantasy, anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, but he has a very literary style which IMO may not work for Sanderfans. (But if you plowed through WoT...Eh.)

Thirding Discworld. The turtle moves!

Edited by Kasimir

I have been where you are. I have a few recommendations for you, although these suggestions are generally a little darker than Sandersons work these are some of the best fantasy and UF novels I have experienced. If even 1 series fills a small part of you book deprression I suggest trying the rest out too :)

Dark Fantasy

1. First Law by Joe Abercrombie (Trilogy - 3 Stand alones that progress the story - and a sequel trilogy)

2. Lightbringer by Brent Weeks - (5 Books)

3. Malazan the Book of the Fallen (10 Books)

4. Shadow of the Conqueror by Shad M Brooks (1 Book so far)

5. Night Angel by Brent Weeks - (Trilogy) 

6. Kings Dark Tidings by Kel Kade (4 Books so far)

7. Saga of the Redeemed by Auston Habershaw (4 Books) (Not quite Dark Fantasy)

8. The Drenai Saga by David Gemmall

Urban Fantasy

1. Graveyard Shift by Michael F Haspil (Stand Alone)

2. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews (10 Books)

3. Sentinels of Creation by by Robert W. Ross (5 Books)

4. ONSET by Glynn Stewart (4 Books)

Edited by AerionBFII

On 8/1/2020 at 7:09 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

It depends on what you want to read.  Fantasy, sci-fi, YA, adult?   I have some suggestions to start with, though.

1: Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien (adult fantasy)

2:The Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer (YA sci-fantasy)

3: Children of Time, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (adult sci-fi)

If you've already read these, I might be able to recommend some more!

On 8/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, Snorkel said:

But it can be better if you read the same-character-stories in order.  For some more than others - Guards! Guards! is indeed a really good starting place, and it's good to read before other City Watch stories.

Soul Music is one of the best. The whole Moist von Lipwig and Tiffany Aching series are great.  Thief of Time is amazing.

The first few books were still finding their feet, which is why The Colour of Magic isn't recommended as the first book to read.

All the Discworld books, but listed by main characters:

City Watch: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud!, Snuff

Witches: Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum

Death: Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time

Moist von Lipwig: Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam

Tiffany Aching (Children's/YA series): The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight, The Shepherd's Crown

Rincewind/wizards: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, The Last Continent, The Last Hero, Unseen Academicals

Other: Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods, The Truth, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (children's), Monstrous Regiment

PS Eric and The Last Hero are originally highly-illustrated, and that's the best way to read them, if you can find those editions.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:21 AM, Kasimir said:

If you don't mind slightly more contemporary fantasy, I'd suggest the Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Bennett Jackson. The magic system isn't super hard, but it's interesting and makes sense within the world, especially if you can read The Dresden Files. And on that note, seconding Rivers of London and Alex Verus. If you want something slightly different, there's Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, all within the urban fantasy ballpark. But the top on my list for that would be Divine Cities.

If you're into historical fantasy, anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, but he has a very literary style which IMO may not work for Sanderfans. (But if you plowed through WoT...Eh.)

Thirding Discworld. The turtle moves!

17 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

I have been where you are. I have a few recommendations for you, although these suggestions are generally a little darker than Sandersons work these are some of the best fantasy and UF novels I have experienced. If even 1 series fills a small part of you book deprression I suggest trying the rest out too :)

Dark Fantasy

1. First Law by Joe Abercrombie (Trilogy - 3 Stand alones that progress the story - and a sequel trilogy)

2. Lightbringer by Brent Weeks - (5 Books)

3. Malazan the Book of the Fallen (10 Books)

4. Shadow of the Conqueror by Shad M Brooks (1 Book so far)

5. Night Angel by Brent Weeks - (Trilogy) 

6. Kings Dark Tidings by Kel Kade (4 Books so far)

7. Saga of the Redeemed by Auston Habershaw (4 Books) (Not quite Dark Fantasy)

8. The Drenai Saga by David Gemmall

Urban Fantasy

1. Graveyard Shift by Michael F Haspil (Stand Alone)

2. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews (10 Books)

3. Sentinels of Creation by by Robert W. Ross (5 Books)

4. ONSET by Glynn Stewart (4 Books)

I agree with all of these, and will add Divergent, Alex Rider, re-add Lunar Chronicles, Ranger's Apprentice, the Emperor's Edge, The Tapestry, Spy School, and The Novice.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:32 PM, Kalaksbreath said:

I have read all of Sandersons books multiple times I have also read WoT the powder mage series Dresden files and a few other fantasy series and I am having a hard time finding anything in the fantasy genre that can hold a candle to any of Brandons work and I am trying to find another series that is good and need some help. Any suggestions?

Have you read anything by Michael Moorcock? His character, Elric of Melnibone, was really influential for the creation of many other fantasy characters (Geralt from the Witcher, probably). Also has multiverse stuff. It's pretty easy to read, and you don't have to think much about it.