Encouragement?

The wheel has some great character growth/development. There were characters that i hated at the beginning that took my breath away by the end. There were characters i loved at the beginning but did not like at all by the end.

I never found one book to stand out as much more than the others with the exception of 1 and 14. Really enjoyed eye of the world (read it before i even knew who sanderson was). The final book was one of the most epic books ive ever read. Think i read it within 48 hours, one eye blood shot and the other bone white.

• 6 months later...

Something that won't make sense unless you read the whole book... hmmmm....

(mild spoilers for Eye of the World, but the kind that will make it more interesting)

Padan Fain, the peddler, has been tracking Rand, Mat and Perrin for years (why? You'll have to read the book)

Nynaeve has a crush you haven't found about yet

One character heroically sacrifices himself

There's at least one way to use saidin without going mad (I've only read Eye of the World so far, there might be others revealed later in the series)

One of the Emond's Field refugees falls under a curse and attacks Moraine

Another one becomes a lighteyes (not because he bonds a shardblade)

The consequences of all these things ripple past the climax of the first book and into the beginning of The Great Hunt (which I began last night and found riveting)

• 1 month later...

I found on my first read through that I really got slogged down towards the middle/end, and the Sanderson books really supercharged my interest again.

I started a re-read semi-recently and flew through Eye of the World, thinking I had forgotten how good it was!  So I guess I sort of feel like if you're already struggling, the series just may not be for you?  I think it's a great story and lots of cool lore and definitely worth the read, but if you already find book 1 not interesting enough that you question finishing it, I am thinking some of the mid/late books will be really hard for you.  But by then you may have more momentum and be more invested in seeing it to the end.

8 hours ago, cfphelps said:

I found on my first read through that I really got slogged down towards the middle/end, and the Sanderson books really supercharged my interest again.

I started a re-read semi-recently and flew through Eye of the World, thinking I had forgotten how good it was!  So I guess I sort of feel like if you're already struggling, the series just may not be for you?  I think it's a great story and lots of cool lore and definitely worth the read, but if you already find book 1 not interesting enough that you question finishing it, I am thinking some of the mid/late books will be really hard for you.  But by then you may have more momentum and be more invested in seeing it to the end.

Wow, I completely forgot that I made this thread.

So, I guess this is kind of a necro?  But I don't particularly mind.  Anyway, I gave myself a good long break after book one, and I flew through book two.  So I've got some momentum now, and I'm gonna do my best.  (As my signature shows.  :P

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 10:51 PM, revelryintheart said:

Sorry but everyone I've talked to that has read the Wheel of Time says the only good books are the Sanderson ones. But keep going! You only have 11(?) books to go until you get to the good stuff! :)

That's far from true. Jordan was a master of storytelling, and while he does have a different pacing style than Sanderson does, I'd say that that is a false statement. Its one thing to express your opinion, another to say that all the books are bad except Sanderson's. 

The foreshadowing is absolutely MASTERFUL. You think Brandon's is great? Jordan's is even more so. Brandon learnt a lot about that aspect of writing from Jordan. I'd also say that the cultures are excellent, and one of our main characters has one of the best character arcs I've ever read. Every step in their progression is logical, but the change they go through is really large. There is so much hidden depth in these books, in the way that things for later are set up, and all the layers of different scenes. Great example of this is a sequence in Path of Daggers. 

13 minutes ago, Cheyenne Sedai said:

That's far from true. Jordan was a master of storytelling, and while he does have a different pacing style than Sanderson does, I'd say that that is a false statement. Its one thing to express your opinion, another to say that all the books are bad except Sanderson's. 

The foreshadowing is absolutely MASTERFUL. You think Brandon's is great? Jordan's is even more so. Brandon learnt a lot about that aspect of writing from Jordan. I'd also say that the cultures are excellent, and one of our main characters has one of the best character arcs I've ever read. Every step in their progression is logical, but the change they go through is really large. There is so much hidden depth in these books, in the way that things for later are set up, and all the layers of different scenes. Great example of this is a sequence in Path of Daggers. 

Hate to disagree but I’m going to completely disagree

Spoilers  for all books WoT

Spoiler

Rand is a terrible character.

One book he’s fine, another he’s raving in the woods going completely mad Then he’s fine again, then he’s mad, then fine... Until book 12 or 13 and they basically told you in the first 100 pages of book 1 that he had the magic power

The fact that Nynave was the best healer ever just didn’t make sense, there was no reason for it to happen 

A good 1/3 of the books you can skip and miss absolutely nothing, there’s even a book that Rands not in  The series could have been 6 books it was stretched to 14 for no

Egewene is to perfect She just makes no mistakes after book 9 and that doesn’t make any sense because that isn’t  human  

Mats arc is the best but is very very weird

Perrin doesn’t have anything happening for a few books and everything was extremely obvious about his Arc

The Forsaken were mostly just plot enemies that were just  placed in convenient places

But the worst thing was Brandon’s fault: Padan fain; 13 books of foreshadowing and then he kills like 5 people and Mat kills him, very stupid

This is all an opinion and could be disagreed with