Magic: the Gathering

On 8/1/2020 at 4:32 AM, Negative_Null said:

Hey guys, for some reason this thread doesn't exist already, even though Davriel Cain exists. So, this is the MTG thread now. How many of us are there and what do you play?

Surprised not to see any replies here. I've been playing for a few years, and almost exclusively play Commander now. I have a few decks, including Atraxa, Muldrotha and The Ur-Dragon.

Yeah I used to play mtg with my brother, we bought way too many boxes. I never really got competetive with MTG, but Yugioh I got really into in the early Orcust/salamangreat Era, and built competetive decks of both, over 500 dollars for the orcust (;-;) then the banlist hit and half of my deck was banned, didn't get to play a single tourney

anyway I got into Force of Will, which is so much better than both games, it is very similair to Mtg except with a lot more development on gameplay, and very good art (mtg has some very very good art so that's hard to beat, but I like Fow's pretty well)

there used to be an MTG thread, but its been inactive for a while...or maybe deleted, who knows.  either way making a new one probably makes sense at this point.

I still have a ton of cards, but its been a while since I last played.  Most of my friends that play mostly only like draft formats these days, since it takes away some of the imbalance you get from being able to just buy singles.  ive probably got somethign like 2 dozen decks sitting in a box in a closet, several of which i made while bored and have never played simply because the opportunity doesn't ever seem to come up any more.

7 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Sounds like everyone during these quaruntimes :) . Do you have a favorite deck? One you really want to play?

this goes back to before the quarantine, though that isnt helping things either.  I've got a couple I like, though I won't claim they are actually any good:

1. Mono black suffering deck.  it had a bunch of cards that caused damage for various things including drawing cards, discarding cards, having too many cards in hand, having too few cards in hand, and attacking with creatures.  plus some other stuff that syphoned life from enemies to myself.  the goal was basically to get some of those out and sit back and watch as they slowly wore everyone down.  That deck lost a lot of multi-way games when everyone decided they hated it and ganged up on me.

2. red/blue damage and card draw.  this one is a commander deck, with original recipe niv-mizzet at the helm.  almost every card in the deck either did direct damage or card draw.  including at least 3 cards that would combo with niv-mizzet's ability into a cycle of deal damge -> draw card -> deal more damage -> draw more cards etc. so that I could just draw through as much of my deck as needed and ping everyone to death.  and on the off chance that anyone survived one round of that, i could reshuffle the graveyard into the library and try it again later.

3. white/black/green treefolk deck.  one of my favorites despite rarely ever winning.  it works best in big multi-way games where people tend to ignore the very slow build up until its too late and i've got a bunch of big treefolk plus Akroma's memorial to give them all flying (an image I will always love - flying trees) and a bunch of other stuff.

plus a whole host of other stuff.  half the time i'd get a card that was good, but didnt work in any deck I already had, so I'd try to build a new deck for it.  or else i'd make a deck in a draft that I kind of liked and try to imrprove on it later without the draft restrictions in place.  there is even one I made just because I had a bunch of blue and white azorius type cards that I decided after the fact would be too boring to ever actually play.

10 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

I love the Abzan tree deck idea. Sounds super fun. I'm in the middle of building an Orzhov deck kind of like your mono-black one. And I did the "wow so many azorius cards but they're so boring when you make a deck out of them" thing too :) 

an older iteration of the mono black deck was black/white, if memory serves.  that one, though not its current form, is probably my oldest deck.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, Experience said:

Hmm. Maybe. How would that work though...

There's a website called spelltable that's really good. Has video and voice, it's made for edh

14 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

@Rosharan A.C.‘s other cousin showed him the game, and then he showed me him playing one game, and before you knew it I had sold my soul to MtG

That's a completely accurate description 

I missed it, dang it.

Well, here's a bump to this thread in hopes we find other people at the very least.

Also, I had an argument about some color identities. What do you guys think?

Vin=Red/Green

Sazed=Blue/Green

Kelsier=Red/Black

Elend=Blue/White

Rashek=Black/White

Spook=Green/White

Marsh=White/Red

2 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

I missed it, dang it.

Well, here's a bump to this thread in hopes we find other people at the very least.

Also, I had an argument about some color identities. What do you guys think?

Vin=Red/Green

Sazed=Blue/Green

Kelsier=Red/Black

Elend=Blue/White

Rashek=Black/White

Spook=Green/White

Marsh=White/Red

I'd put Vin as Mardu base white, with early book 1 Vin as mono-black, Sazed as Bant, and Spook as Orzhov.

Allrianne is mono-red.