A Word on Copper Compounding...

Zinc-Tongued Raven

6 hours ago, trav said:

this is how the other metals work so I simply assume that it is the same copper. once the metal is burned the effect is gone. I see no reason to believe why burning F-copper should affect the users body after the metal is used up. it does not happen with the other metals.

copper stores memories. tapping copper restores memories.

burning copper should restore memories more vividly or strongly. after it is burned then your body returns to normal and a normal brain can not keep the vast memory of a coppermind without decay. it may remain fresh for a while, but will eventually fade.

So by that logic

Storing Iron reduces all weight while storing, and your weight returns to normal when you stop.

Storing Copper Suppresses all memories while storing, and your memories return to normal when you stop.

Copper doesn't follow the normal rules.

6 hours ago, Frustration said:

So by that logic

Storing Iron reduces all weight while storing, and your weight returns to normal when you stop.

Storing Copper Suppresses all memories while storing, and your memories return to normal when you stop.

Also, worth noting that Brandon has confirmed that Nicrosil works "like a coppermind", so storing in F-Nicrosil probably means you'd be... Excising a power from your Spiritweb until you can tap it again? :D

21 hours ago, Frustration said:

So by that logic

with iron you store parts of your weight. with copper you store parts of your memories.

you don't regain any of the attributes you store. not until you tap the metalmind. you store what you weighted at a time and you store what you knew at a time. the temporarily lost weight your stored is not gone. its stored. the memory is not gone either. its stored.

it does not change your brain or its capacity.

Storing Copper lets you store parts of your memory into a coppermind. and your memory returns to normal when you stop.

Copper follows "the rules" better than Gold does. or well, depends on how you interpret it. storing "health" is arbitrary enough to make it work. I guess.

still, I see no reason (as of yet) to make F-copper burning more complicated then it needs to be.

18 minutes ago, trav said:

with iron you store parts of your weight. with copper you store parts of your memories.

you don't regain any of the attributes you store. not until you tap the metalmind. you store what you weighted at a time and you store what you knew at a time. the temporarily lost weight your stored is not gone. its stored. the memory is not gone either. its stored.

it does not change your brain or its capacity.

Storing Copper lets you store parts of your memory into a coppermind. and your memory returns to normal when you stop.

Copper follows "the rules" better than Gold does. or well, depends on how you interpret it. storing "health" is arbitrary enough to make it work. I guess.

still, I see no reason (as of yet) to make F-copper burning more complicated then it needs to be.

When you stop storing Iron, pewter, steel, Tin, Zinc, brass, bronze, gold, Electrum, bendalloy, Cadmium, Chromium, aluminum, Dur-aluminum, Atium etc

Then you return to normal

Copper and Nicrocil are different

It's like storing your arm.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

When you stop storing Iron, pewter, steel, Tin, Zinc, brass, bronze, gold, Electrum, bendalloy, Cadmium, Chromium, aluminum, Dur-aluminum, Atium etc

Then you return to normal

Copper and Nicrocil are different

It's like storing your arm.

it is absolutely not like storing your arm. you still have the same ability to store memories, the same amount of capacity. its just empty now. unless you keep refreshing the memory you would eventually lose it over time too. empty memory is the normal state, so to say. which you would ultimately return to, one way or another.

thats the only difference. it behaves like you never even learned what you stored in the first place, but it does not affect your brains function to store memories (at the exact same location). the point is, tapping copper does not change you. physically speaking.

gold is way more awkward than that. by making yourself more prone to sickness (storing "health") you are later able to heal physical injury (tapping "health"). the way your body reacts to either is quite different.

tapping metal minds gives an attribute for a temporary amount of time. thats one of the main aspects of Feruchemy. you can store attributes and you can tap attributes. once you stop tapping your return to the current normal state. for copper that attribute is a memory. tapping that memory does not change how your body reacts to that memory.

this is what was suggested and I disagree.

copper stores the memory, not the ability to memorize.

same for tapping. tapping copper restores the memory. the ability to keep that memory remains unaffected. Keepers train memory retention because of this.

burning copper restores the memories in the metalmind the same way tapping would. maybe more vividly, maybe better ingrained... after its tapped its subject to the same decay as ony other memory of the individual. since copperminds can be cast I assume this decay to be very quick. or it could even be impossible to hold the memory of a large coppermind and most of the information is already lost while tapping.

now, why should we assume that tapping a coppermind has other or lasting effects than regular tapping when none of the other metals do? (at least not that we know of right now)

Edited by trav

I believe the difference between copper and other metals is that other metals store attributes with two dimensions, so to speak: amount and time. you can use bigger amount than the amount/time you stored by lessening the time, which means in an equation you'd probably write it as: amount*time=stored attribute, though for some reason, pressing it takes a little more of the time than it should. Copper, contrary to that, seems like it doesn't have the time part, or that it's time is set as 1, or something like that.

Not sure if that's connected, just thought of it. Sorry if I used the wrong words - English isn't my native language.

Edited by Trutharchivist
I might be naìve, but it has nothing to do with my English.

Imagine selling these like DVDs. Watch a movie once, even add your own commentary, and then you can show it to all your friends.

You could store your dreams, and never have to awkwardly explain it, you could just be like, "I had the craziest dream! Here's the tape."

You could show your kids exactly why they can't have a dog, because you had one, you stored the memories of it, and it kinda sucked. (not saying I don't like dogs or anything, just brainstorming possibilities)