Vessels Personality

Rusito

Hi All!
I think I´ve read about how shards affect Vessels personalities and how, at some point, they end up being more the "feature" they chose over the person they once were.

Spoiler

In secret History they mention how Ati is driven by Ruin and he is no longer the guy they knew.

What would happen if the gave their power away? Apart from that residual power, would they be the person they used to?

And is there any WoB regarding any Vessel who gave the power at some point (like dude I can't handle the pressure) and lived like a "normal" guy? Or are all the vessels who haven't died the original ones?

This WoB should answer your question:

Argent (paraphrased)

If Ati had somehow managed to give up Ruin and returned to being a regular person, would his mind have gradually reverted from its corruption by Ruin's intent, or would he always be determined to destroy?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Over time Ruin's influence would fade, but Ati would remain a Sliver, so there would be some permanent effects.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

55 minutes ago, Rusito said:

What would happen if the gave their power away? Apart from that residual power, would they be the person they used to?

Good question.  You can give up the power of a shard.  Your behavior is altered though.

Argent (paraphrased)

What effects does being a Sliver have on a person?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It can vary (on the Shard, the length of time the power was held, the power itself, etc). In some way a Sliver is someone who has had their mind, body, and spirit expanded due to holding a great deal of power, and then have had that power leave.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 1, 2013)

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Rusito said:

perhaps if they thought they were next on Odium's list.

Like Karger said, I don't think this would save them. Even if they gave up the Shard and weren't a direct threat, they would still know more about the Shards and about Rayse specifically than anyone else (except Frost and Hoid, that we know of) meaning that their knowledge could still be a very serious threat to Odium. After all, if there are weaknesses the Shards have (like the rules they're bound by) then anyone in a position to share that knowledge would be too dangerous for Odium to allow them to live. Likewise if there are any details about Rayse that could be shared and which would give someone an edge in fighting him. We know Odium considers maginuking a city on the chance that Hoid would be caught in the blast radius to be a reasonable action, so it seems fair to extend that to all the other Vessels as well.

Plus, giving up a Shard means you're now in 'squashable like a bug' territory, while if you keep holding onto that power you have a chance of winning (maybe) and at the very least you know that any damage you do to Odium is going to hurt him. Forever.

True, if I were Odium I think I would go after them anyways...I believe at his point the only one who knows a lot and has info on them is (as you mentioned) Hoid.

Nevertheless, it would be great to find out that one of the original 16 regreted his/her decision and tried to go back...we'll have to wait and know them all.