Adonalsium

Hoid the Former Drifter

Question

18 answers to this question

All we know is that some weapon was involved (the 'opposition' mentioned being the group that killed Adonalsium) and while it no longer exists in its original form there are remnants of it and Hoid's immortality is linked to it in some way. Oh, and that people who've read Dragonsteel Prime would apparently know something about it, so there must be hints dropped in that book.

4 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

but that doesn't show how 16 people were able to splinter a deity.

Adonalsium might have allowed it to happen even if it would normally be impossible (or at least extremely implausible) to accomplish, or there could be some exploit that we don't know about that made it a lot more plausible than might be apparent. We know the Shards are all bound by certain rules because of Adonalsium, so maybe there was some way these rules also bound Adonalsium and were used against it.

Also, magic was a thing before the Shattering so it's not like the Vessels were just a group of people standing in a field somewhere with nothing more than harsh language. It's possible they had resources we can't yet imagine, like this mysterious weapon that Brandon told us about. If a remnant of this weapon was able to make Hoid super-immortal, it's clearly something special. And there's at least one dragon who was involved in some way and it's likely that one or more of the Vessels was a dragon, so they might have more resources at their disposal as well.

Edited by Weltall

23 minutes ago, Frustration said:

They had DragonSteel.

this just popped into my head a second ago, but what it Dragonsteel was involved somehow, with the Shattering? and thats where Hoids immortality comes from?

i cant let this feeling go, that the Shattering was mostly the result of the conflict between the Fain/Sho Del and the Humans.

like, the Coming of Fain marked the end of an era. The end of Ado

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 7/30/2020 at 10:03 PM, Weltall said:

And there's at least one dragon who was involved in some way and it's likely that one or more of the Vessels was a dragon, so they might have more resources at their disposal as well.

So... where are the dragons currently?

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

So... where are the dragons currently?

Frost is still on Yolen, we may have seen others but because they're shapeshifters we would not recognize them.

There are arguments to be made for Edgli and/or Bavadin being dragons (Nalthis has a word for it for a reason, natural shapeshifting could explain Autonomy's MO with creatung avatars) but nothing is proven.

I'm guessing his futuresight is better than all the shards put together. So, if there's some event that needs to happen in the cosmere (which wouldn't have happened with him alive) that he foresaw, he might have consented to the shattering.

As to what that event is, I think we'll find out in space-era mistborn, maybe he also gets put back together then (which he might have foreseen). Tens of thousands of years are probably nothing to a god. I'm excited to find out! 

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Well... there is the Iriali religion of the One, that might shed some light on it

Brandon has said that The One has some echoes of Adonalsium, but the religion is more influenced by rececnt events(after the shattering)

Questioner

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Kind of, yes.

Questioner

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

5 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Brandon has said that The One has some echoes of Adonalsium, but the religion is more influenced by rececnt events(after the shattering)

Questioner

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Kind of, yes.

Questioner

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Then it makes me think Autonomy

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Then it makes me think Autonomy

Thats what i was thinking too.

like maybe a bunch of people left Taldain.

Autonomy blocked/closed her perp and those people couldnt make it home so they went planet to planet instead. Eventually hoping to return home.

Its not a very good theory(just came up with it) but it kinda works

Edited by Eternal Khol