Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew7

Can Feruchemy be Taught?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As the title says, can Feruchemy be taught to people other than the Terris? As I understand, it's not something that is restricted to their genetics, but I haven't read the books in a few years and some friends and I are getting ready to play the Mistborn Adventure game and we're wondering about this. I perceive the people of Terris as being their own ethnicity, but not a separate race of creature altogether. I do know that Feruchemy is a closely guarded secret, but is it possible in theory? 

Edited by Matthew7
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, it's hereditary.  In the cosmere people have both normal physical DNA and spiritual DNA, so it's hereditary without literally being an amino acid sequence issue.  There are ways to transfer it, the most obvious being Hemalurgy which literally rips out that sDNA from the victim and grafts it to the recipient.    

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it. But barring Hemalurgy, it could be passed down through generations and still be awakened by someone who doesn't have two Terris parents, correct? Say there was a grandpa Terrisman or further along the same train of thought. Really plays on walking the tightrope, but does the spiritual gene just up and out somewhere along the line? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Matthew7 said:

Got it. But barring Hemalurgy, it could be passed down through generations and still be awakened by someone who doesn't have two Terris parents, correct? Say there was a grandpa Terrisman or further along the same train of though

Welcome and sure.  Recessive genes are a thing with S DNA.  That is how TLR was unable to quite get rid of it.  Even when he bread it out of the population it still cropped up a while latter.

Edited by Karger
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool information. I greatly appreciate both of you for the help. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should be mentioned, if I remember correctly when terrismen have children with allomancers/people with potential allomantic power the powers interfere with each other and their descendants will have only one feruchemical power if at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inherent feruchemical power can’t be taught, but creating an unkeyed metal mind that can be tapped by anyone is possible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31.7.2020 at 10:22 AM, Trutharchivist said:

I think it should be mentioned, if I remember correctly when terrismen have children with allomancers/people with potential allomantic power the powers interfere with each other and their descendants will have only one feruchemical power if at all.

But how are then Twinborn a thing?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tekiny said:

But how are then Twinborn a thing?

They don't lose the chance for having Allomantic powers, just the Feruchemy is changed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoidolasium said:

They don't lose the chance for having Allomantic powers, just the Feruchemy is changed.

Ah, I thought they meant the children *just* get one feruchemical power

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.