The magic system with the number 4 and aethers ?

Friendshipspren

Question

8 answers to this question

Where does Khriss mention a 4-centric system? I'm not recalling it at present.

But yeah, Aeither has been canonized insofar as one of the things appears in Words of Radiance and Brandon has plans to eventually rewrite it, but a lot of the details are up in the air. We're not really sure how much of the original concept will remain, since Brandon tried to write a new Aether series once already (Aethers of Lor/Climb the Sky, from which he cannibalized Syl) and then tried to repurpose the aethers as pre-Shattering magic in The Liar of Partinel. Given all of this, the number of aethers and the specific aethers themselves might change drastically from what's in the current draft. About all we can say with reasonable certainty is that something resembling Amberite will appear in the rewrite because the crystal in Mraize's trophy room resembles that one.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, Weltall said:

all we can say with reasonable certainty is that something resembling Amberite will appear in the rewrite because the crystal in Mraize's trophy room resembles that one.

It's Amberite

Brandon has said so.

so, i think, Brandon at least plans on leaving that one, almost the same as it was

5 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

so, i think, Brandon at least plans on leaving that one, almost the same as it was

It certainly looks like Amberite and I'm pretty sure it would still be called that since the term has been bounced around between unpublished books for some time (it's also in Mythwalker and Liar of Partinel, no idea if it's in Mistborn/Final Empire/Dragonsteel Prime) so it feels like a word that Brandon really wants to find a home for. That said we don't know anything about how things may have changed in his conception of Amberite in Liar of Partinel versus what we saw in Aether of Night, so the exact mechanics might already have changed, or change still when he rewrites things.

I mean, I want to see the aethers return in as close to their original forms as possible because they were cool (and as I've said on the Aether board there's one in particular that would be really neat to learn about the realmatics of) but until Brandon gives us more details it's probably safe to say only that it might stay more or less the same, rather than asserting it. Just in case. :D

Brandon described Aethers as being the last major magic system that we haven’t seen yet in the most recent livestream.

Questioner

Do you think anything in the future would change [Isaac Stewart and Steve Argyle's] minds [on Lightweaving being the magic system they would want to have]?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I mean, there will be other magics. But we have hit all of the core cosmere magics, except for the aethers. And I don't think aethers will be enough to tempt them away. Possibly. That would be my guess. I mean, there will be other little magics, because I always have things like that that I'm writing. But there's only one major magic system that hasn't been used extensively on-screen.

YouTube Livestream 14 (July 30, 2020)

So where does this leave Vax?  If we aren't going to see another major system beside aether, is it a minor Shardworld?  Given Ati's last words, it seems more significant than this.  Also, the system is significant enough for Khriss to remark on the method of initiation.  Does this mean Vax uses a system we have already seen?  If so, this suggests that it would be in the same system, and a place Ati had been before.  This rules out Roshar, Scadrial, and Taldain, since the habitable worlds are all accounted for.  Likewise, we can rule out Yolen since Khriss would not be able to reach it.  This leaves the Elantrian, Nalthian, and Threnody systems as candidates.  Of course, Vax could be the Aether world, but it seems more significant with how cagey Brandon has been about Vax.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Brgst13 said:

So where does this leave Vax?  If we aren't going to see another major system beside aether, is it a minor Shardworld?  Given Ati's last words, it seems more significant than this.  Also, the system is significant enough for Khriss to remark on the method of initiation.  Does this mean Vax uses a system we have already seen?  If so, this suggests that it would be in the same system, and a place Ati had been before.  This rules out Roshar, Scadrial, and Taldain, since the habitable worlds are all accounted for.  Likewise, we can rule out Yolen since Khriss would not be able to reach it.  This leaves the Elantrian, Nalthian, and Threnody systems as candidates.  Of course, Vax could be the Aether world, but it seems more significant with how cagey Brandon has been about Vax.

the Ars Arcanum isn’t directed towards the readers. it’s an informative essay, that would be read by people in-Cosmere(definitely cosmere aware), and would probably know what Vax is.

so just because Khriss mention its initiation is different, doesnt mean that we would know what Vax is or that its in a system we already know,but in word Cosmere-aware people probably would.

its not like khriss’ thought process is “ok, ive gave the readers some info, now ill throw the word “vax” into Sel’s arcanum and see if they can connect the dots"

she just writing down information that other scholars, like her, would already understand. I dont think shes trying to hint thats its in a system we already know about.

Vax can be a major Shardword thats not super relevant. I seriously doubt Brandon is planning on writing enough in the Cosmere, that each shard would have its own book(s) we’ll eventually know all 16 shards and original Vessels, but they probably aren’t all as relevant to the story that Brandon is trying to tell. Well probably run across A couple in the space age cosmere.

theres still 6 shards we dont know about, and only one that we know of that isnt on a planet. And I think Aethers planet will at least have 1 shard in attendance(due to it being a “core magic”

so the other 4 Shards should be invested in planets and have magics to go along with them. Maybe Vax is one of those planets. Not super relevant, but enough to get references(and who know, maybe a novella or something too eventually, but thats just guesses. Brandon has said absolutely nothing about Vax, other than that it’s suggested to be a place and Leras would recognize Vax too)

Edited by Eternal Khol