Inheritors of the eternal trees

Terra

Magic is in the bones. The skeleton is what support, shape and protects us, but what if it did more then just that?

Treebones: it is an inheritance of the Eternal tree in the form of a seed. A person that consumes this seed, breaks his/her nerves, then the muscles and last the bones until you're nothing for seven days until the seed starts urging for its nutrients taking all it can find around the area and start absorbing it. The bones start to take form, new muscles are created and last the nerves which wakes the person up to a new life after death. Having Treebones in my world means that a person has obtained the ability to manipulate and communicate with plants which include the bones of the user.

Inheritors of Treebones have different skills but none of these skills are exclusive to one person. All inheritors follow a certain law and the laws are described as:

• Every inheritor needs a purpose. It might sound strange, but a inheritor without a purpose dies.(Story related)

• Metal severs the contact of an inheritor with plant life.

• The state of the mind influences the impact of someone's ability.

• An inheritor cannot make children.

The abilities of an inheritor are:

Zerking: The ability to accelerate the growth of plants for a temporal period of time. Growing plants takes time, but because of the Treebones a inheritor posses the user has a different way to transfer nutrients and make plants grow. Although I said every person can do zerking, there is a name for people that specialize in zerking called Zerker who are associated with inheritors that are impulsive and impatient.

Graviole: the ability to decide gravity of plant life. I call to the seed, against the seed. Being able to push and pull from the inheritor and towards the inheritor. It makes the inheritor able to push balls of wood or pull on vines if it was touched by the essence of an inheritor(many options how this can happen). Graviolers are associated with inheritors that are preserve.

Sympathy: The ability to understand what is happening. It's not like a person will know the thoughts of another person, but the user can ask for information by communicating with plants if they touch some sort of plant life that lives at the place. Sympathist are associated with Inheritors that are curious.

Enhancer The ability to enhance characteristics of a plant. Inheritors use it to enhance the most simple things, like enhancing their strength by absorbing more nutrients from the ground using their feet or even enhancing the smell of a plant to attract certain animals. Enhancers are associated with inheritors that are simple-minded and straightforward.

Shape: The ability to shape plant life the way you want it. Inheritors use it to shape plants in a way to get out difficult situations or even simple ones for personal use. Like making existing wood bars form into swords or a simple wooden bowl to eat from. Shapers are associated with inheritors that are calm and approach things in a logic way.

Separate: The ability to separate nutrients and minerals an inheritor absorbed. It's like creating alchemy that can make inheritors create things like fire and lightning. Separator are associated with inheritors that I would call children of Loki (people that love deceit and are fickle tricksters, the liars) love to the what cannot be seen.

I am still thinking if I should cover more then these, but for now I like these. Next to that I would like to tell that the bones of an inheritor and the eternal tree are special and valuable and not to only the inheritor himself, but also the normal people and the people that are able to use magic. There are also many more things in the treebones that go deeper, but before that I would like to hear the opinion of everyone about my current magic system.

All feedback is welcome !

Well @Terra a couple of things,

1. this tree is going to become valuable resource no.1, Kings will give seeds to their warriors if their purpose is to serve the crown, and so on. How do you stop one nation from bulldozering everyone in their path to becoming the only nation in the world? or conversely from destruction.
  2.  What happens to an inheritor if they change in personality? Do their powers change as well, how well does an inheritor have to fit the personality trait to get a specific power?
  3. How much metal is needed to sever one's connection to plants, and how exactly does that work?

other than that, it's a cool idea.

Thank you @Frustration for your questions.

1. Its not that simple. A purpose has to be deep and what I didn't inform about is that during the stage of death that the person will be questioned by the tree who will evaluate the person of being worthy. The tree already knows alot about you without you knowing and the secret to accomplish succesion is to be honest to your true self. Be reminded that being true isn't something like wanting to serve the crown, but rather the reason why they want to serve the crown and acting like the person they truly are.

2. An inheritor's power doesn't truly change by personality, it's just that their power fit a different ability better. A person that is calm and approach problems in a logic way is better in shaping, but could also do the other things. Only difference is if the inheritor becomes a more straightforward person, it becomes harder for the inheritor to use shaping, because they need more focus and calmth which is the opposite of impulsive and impatient. Plus the fact that it doesn't mean a person becomes adept to Zerking, because they don't know how much input they should give to make a seed grow into a plant to create the right size they need. This also applies wether a person is mad or not which also influences a person's power that make it difficult to fight.

3. Not much metal is needed. Just having metal shackles around a person hand can sever the contact with their arms combined with shackles on their feet completely severs their contact to plants. Putting them in cage is another way if they cannot touch the ground and contact earth.

I hope this answers your questions.

49 minutes ago, Terra said:

I hope this answers your questions.

most of them

49 minutes ago, Terra said:

3. Not much metal is needed. Just having metal shackles around a person hand can sever the contact with their arms combined with shackles on their feet completely severs their contact to plants. Putting them in cage is another way if they cannot touch the ground and contact earth.

just for further understanding, what happens if they get stabbed?

50 minutes ago, Terra said:

2. An inheritor's power doesn't truly change by personality, it's just that their power fit a different ability better. A person that is calm and approach problems in a logic way is better in shaping, but could also do the other things. Only difference is if the inheritor becomes a more straightforward person, it becomes harder for the inheritor to use shaping, because they need more focus and calmth which is the opposite of impulsive and impatient. Plus the fact that it doesn't mean a person becomes adept to Zerking, because they don't know how much input they should give to make a seed grow into a plant to create the right size they need. This also applies wether a person is mad or not which also influences a person's power that make it difficult to fight.

That's actually the best personality based magic I believe I have ever seen.

51 minutes ago, Terra said:

1. Its not that simple. A purpose has to be deep and what I didn't inform about is that during the stage of death that the person will be questioned by the tree who will evaluate the person of being worthy. The tree already knows alot about you without you knowing and the secret to accomplish succesion is to be honest to your true self. Be reminded that being true isn't something like wanting to serve the crown, but rather the reason why they want to serve the crown and acting like the person they truly are.

This one I still have questions about, while not as broken as I once thought it still leaves the question as to why one nation doesn't rule the world.

And what stops the tree from being destroyed?

But other than those two good job.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

just for further understanding, what happens if they get stabbed?

I am still thinking what would happen. I would like some advice at what would be more interesting. Would being stabbed mean an inheritor would be unable to use his/her abilities or weaken. I did decide that stabbing an inheritor doesn't kill one, but can injure one. Slashing is a different story which does kill an inheritor.

That's actually the best personality based magic I believe I have ever seen.

Thank you for the compliment it gives me great joy reading this.

This one I still have questions about, while not as broken as I once thought it still leaves the question as to why one nation doesn't rule the world.

And what stops the tree from being destroyed?

Its not impossible for one nation to the rule the world, but neither is it simple. In the world that I am thinking of developing countries aren't connected as one piece on the ground like our world. Instead countries float high in the sky which are supported by the eternal tree. There are countries that have rule more countries, but there isn't one that could take down all countries to be obedient, because every country has at least one eternal tree. Plus the fact that there are more factors that decide the military's strength.

2 hours ago, Terra said:

I am still thinking what would happen. I would like some advice at what would be more interesting. Would being stabbed mean an inheritor would be unable to use his/her abilities or weaken. I did decide that stabbing an inheritor doesn't kill one, but can injure one. Slashing is a different story which does kill an inheritor.

Could be that once the blade enters they lose power. Slashing is interesting as the only real difference is size of the opening, what is the break off point.

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Thank you for the compliment it gives me great joy reading this.

You're welcome

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Its not impossible for one nation to the rule the world, but neither is it simple. In the world that I am thinking of developing countries aren't connected as one piece on the ground like our world. Instead countries float high in the sky which are supported by the eternal tree. There are countries that have rule more countries, but there isn't one that could take down all countries to be obedient, because every country has at least one eternal tree. Plus the fact that there are more factors that decide the military's strength.

Alright that makes more sense.

What happens when an Inherited completes their goal? Do they get to pick a new one?