Lift as an Allomancer

pjmaster78

2 minutes ago, pjmaster78 said:

We know that Lift has some special abilities due to the Old Magic.  Specifically, digesting food into Stormlight directly.  If Lift were to become an Allomancer, would this affect her burning of metals?

This should probably be in the Cosmere discussion page.

Probably not, on the logic that what she does is turn Calories into Stormlight, but WOB says she's restricted to what she can actually metabolize in a blood -sugar sort of way.  So in Scadrial terms, she is doing something very similar to Bendalloy Ferrings expect that she is fueling surges directly rather than filling a Metalmind, and normal body fat & blood sugar are the only storage means available to her. But I think the Allomantic Burning of metals is different enough from actual metabolic Eating that the two Connections wouldnt get intermingled.  

On the other hand, if she got her hands on the pair of medallions needed to compound bendalloy, she could burn metal to fill metalminds, and then use that for basically infinite fuel to her Surges.

39 minutes ago, Quantus said:

On the other hand, if she got her hands on the pair of medallions needed to compound bendalloy, she could burn metal to fill metalminds, and then use that for basically infinite fuel to her Surges.

Yeah, but is impossible to have more than one medalion, because they cancel each other. She will have to have one medalion with compounded powers - what wasnt possible yet, but probably will be now, when Southern Scadrians will have access to the Twinborns.

Another possibility is, of course, Hemalurgy.

25 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Yeah, but is impossible to have more than one medalion, because they cancel each other. She will have to have one medalion with compounded powers - what wasnt possible yet, but probably will be now, when Southern Scadrians will have access to the Twinborns.

Another possibility is, of course, Hemalurgy.

Two-power medallions are within their current capabilities, and the Bands sure imply that the current limit can be overcome. 

That being said I think she could still make it work, she would just have to trade back and forth.  Use F-Bendalloy to fill a few seed metalminds, then trade to A-bendalloy and get VERY fat (or channel it directly to surges when needed), then trade back and fill more metalminds.  It works for Bendalloy because they have good ol' fashioned fat cells as the intermediate storage.  

39 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Two-power medallions are within their current capabilities, and the Bands sure imply that the current limit can be overcome. 

That being said I think she could still make it work, she would just have to trade back and forth.  Use F-Bendalloy to fill a few seed metalminds, then trade to A-bendalloy and get VERY fat (or channel it directly to surges when needed), then trade back and fill more metalminds.  It works for Bendalloy because they have good ol' fashioned fat cells as the intermediate storage.  

Why do I find fat lift to be so humorous?

It should be a meme.

Yeah, I don't think that if Lift ate a lerasium bead or got a hemalurgic spike for some allomantic power that her food>Investiture conversion and allomancy would interfere with one another because Lift can't metabolize metals. But if Lift had a properly designed medallion giving her A and F-Bendalloy she could utterly break things with infinite fuel for her Surgebinding. Brandon's confirmed that she could use the one system to power the other and compounding would let her start with a small amount of food and turn it into huge amounts of Investiture. I'd say that she could also break thermodynamics this way, but we know there's an extra Law in the Cosmere due to the presence of the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms so reality as we know it is safe :D

Also, I'm now picturing Lift with a medallion bracelet on one arm, bendalloy nuggets in one hand and a whole lot of bendalloy jewelry, sitting behind an enormous mountain of food and just chowing down and converting the food energy into stored Investiture until she's got no more room for more. And then running off to the bathroom to get rid of it, rinse and repeat until her jewelry is so Invested with potential Awesomeness that she could tank a hit from Nightblood.

Edited by Weltall

Iirc, Lift creates stromlight - Investiture - from food (or transforms it, anyway), and uses it tu fuel her surgebinding. But in allomancy, the row Investiture comes from Preservation himself, and the metal is just a "key" used to access this power (and specify which form it has to take ? I'm not sure what that key metaphor is supposed to explain, but that's what I remember). So I'm really not sure if stormlight could fuel allomancy, or if Lift could do it :/

53 minutes ago, Dracnor said:

\So I'm really not sure if stormlight could fuel allomancy, or if Lift could do it :/

True, allomancy would be extremely difficult to make work with other forms of Investiture because of how it operates but 1) It's almost irrelevant because metal is ubiquitous and more importantly 2) we're talking about using the specific application of feruchemical bendalloy to fuel Lift's unique method of Surgebinding, not the other way around. F-Bendalloy stores the exact same thing that Lift uses to create the Investiture she needs to Surgebind. Allomancy only comes into it because F-Bendalloy on its own doesn't really add anything to the picture (except letting her store food energy for later use rather than needing to make use of it right away) but compounding would let her accumulate all the caloric stores she needs without having to carry around a kitchen's worth of food at all times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 10:05 PM, Quantus said:

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

AFAICT they should be called two source medaillions, not two power medaillions. The Bands could be made because a Fullborn just put everything into them in one go.

31 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

(Scadrial)

Hide contents

AFAICT they should be called two source medaillions, not two power medaillions. The Bands could be made because a Fullborn just put everything into them in one go.

Spoiler

Actually if my theories are correct all you need is a single F-Nicrosil medallion with several unkeyed nicrosilminds loaded with each allomantic and feruchemical power, and the 16 metals to tap from.