Dalinar's Ability + Nightblood = ?

Shardpencil

After reading RoW Chapter 3 I just had a thought. We know Dalinar (and maybe? the other Bondsmiths for that matter) has the ability to infuse stormlight at will. I’m not sure exactly how much stormlight he has access to, but I’m guessing a lot—maybe as much as that of a Shard. Wouldn’t this make him the perfect candidate to wield Nightblood…he could literally feed it almost limitless amounts of investiture and let it do its thing. 

However, I don’t really see his character going out on the battlefield and doing any physical fighting anytime soon. Maybe he just has a 1-on-1 stand off against Odium or something. 

Thoughts? I’m not as well-versed in Cosmere lore as many of you, so I might be missing something. 

It's mentionned that using his power to infuse gemstones is exhausting though. And since Nightblood consumes Investiture faster and faster when being drown, I'm not sure that it's a viable as it looks (he might be absolutly exhausted before the end of a fight, and losing him would be a serious drawback).

But yeah, a blade like Nightblood or Vivenna's blade (less dangerous for the user I think ?) is what Dalinar need to fight in the frontlines. That, or a Honorblade.

• 7 months later...

Dalinar using Nightblood seems so scary...but I love it. It makes some sense, Dalinar won't be able to use a shard blade(stormfather can't turn into one) and can't hold a dead one. So he is going to have to use some weapon in the contest if he does it himself.

It seems to me that Dalinar doesn't need to necessarily be throwing the entire perpendicularity into Nightblood at once, but simply sate it enough that Nightblood doesn't try to eat him. He doesn't even necessarily need to open a perpendicularity immediately. He could breathe in a bunch of gemstones, and as that's about to run out, he re-infuses the gemstones and breathes in again. In the meantime, he has a sword that can chip honorblades, cut through plate, and kill Shardic Vessels. I'd say it'd be a great option for him. It could only be done temporarily, as eventually either Nightblood would "get full" or consume Dalinar, but while he has it out he could do serious damage to... basically anyone.

It'd would be the sort of nuclear option that would only be relevant if he was facing off against a single, very dangerous foe, but in large-scale combat it wouldn't necessarily be more effective than just a deadblade or perhaps a... borrowed sprenbade? Could an Oath 3 knight loan their sprenblade to Dalinar if the spren was willing? Idk. 

7 minutes ago, The Technovore said:

It seems to me that Dalinar doesn't need to necessarily be throwing the entire perpendicularity into Nightblood at once, but simply sate it enough that Nightblood doesn't try to eat him. He doesn't even necessarily need to open a perpendicularity immediately. He could breathe in a bunch of gemstones, and as that's about to run out, he re-infuses the gemstones and breathes in again. In the meantime, he has a sword that can chip honorblades, cut through plate, and kill Shardic Vessels. I'd say it'd be a great option for him. It could only be done temporarily, as eventually either Nightblood would "get full" or consume Dalinar, but while he has it out he could do serious damage to... basically anyone.

It'd would be the sort of nuclear option that would only be relevant if he was facing off against a single, very dangerous foe, but in large-scale combat it wouldn't necessarily be more effective than just a deadblade or perhaps a... borrowed sprenbade? Could an Oath 3 knight loan their sprenblade to Dalinar if the spren was willing? Idk. 

We know that borrowing shardplate was a thing, but not about blades.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Doesn't Shallan lend Kaladin her Patternblade in WoR, or was that her deadblade?

Oi, you are right. I forget things like this.

I am guessing that you still need to be close to the radiant or their bond will break? Though we don't know how it works if they are in their blade form. We have seen spren mildy forget who they are in the tower attack.