Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frustration

Looking for geological help.

7 posts in this topic

So I'm worldbuilding for a fantasy novel and I'm looking for scientifically accurate places to put Tin deposits about where should those be?

28 minutes ago, Frustration said:

So I'm worldbuilding for a fantasy novel and I'm looking for scientifically accurate places to put Tin deposits about where should those be?

Tin actually varied a lot in terms of availability.  For example very little was found in europe so that entire region had a tin trade doing the beginnings of the bronze ages.

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Tin actually varied a lot in terms of availability.  For example very little was found in europe so that entire region had a tin trade doing the beginnings of the bronze ages.

*tries making it sound nice without notes*

*realizes it doesn't, and adds notes*

*politely*

Thank you, but I'm more looking for where it would form, or maybe why would be a better answer. Where would large quantities of tin form, in relation to mountains or plate lines and such.

I suppose some some places not on the map could trade tin with the main countries like with Brittan(or whatever they called it then) and Assiria did in the real world. However eventually this problem will come up again and I'd like to be able to solve it.

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Thank you, but I'm more looking for where it would form, or maybe why would be a better answer. Where would large quantities of tin form, in relation to mountains or plate lines and such.

OK then.  Tin is usually extracted from a mineral called cassiterite.  Most sources of cassiterite today are found in alluvial or placer deposits.  Those generally correlate to steam beds(often dry ones).

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

OK then.  Tin is usually extracted from a mineral called cassiterite.  Most sources of cassiterite today are found in alluvial or placer deposits.  Those generally correlate to steam beds(often dry ones).

Ah, thanks that is extremely helpful, and works for what I want to accomplish thank you.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Ah, thanks that is extremely helpful, and works for what I want to accomplish thank you.

Sure need anything else?

33 minutes ago, Karger said:

Sure need anything else?

I don't think so, I'll let you know if I do, thanks again.