The untapped potential of spheres??

So I was thinking spears to my knowledge they are the one thing in the Cosmere created with the intention to hold investiture among other things (I’ll get to spren momentarily)

normally it holds the local form of investiture in the form of stormlight however I’m wondering if it can hold other forms of investiture as well

If so then what would that mean for fabriels what would happen if you tried to power a fabriel with an alternate form of investiture

would we have to build new Fabriels to be compatible? Is it possible to Artificially replicate the other systems of magic Without The use of hymalergy 

Could someone with the ability to draw investiture from spheres be able to draw from spheres that are invested with another type of investiture 

If so what would happen 

about spren

Spren are a cognitive version of stuff, ideas we have given life, one of the attributes of spheres is the ability to hold spren so My question is can it hold other cognitive things 

What about the cognitive version of people (the floating flames in Shadesmar) can you tie a sphere to a person or trap someone in a sphere 

How about a seon could you trap a seon inside of a sphere 

sorry about my spelling of many of the terms and stuff. I didn’t know how to go looking them up without having to retype this whole thing

Also sorry if this seems like a rant I’ve been thinking a bit about it. if you want you can address parts of it or Even the overall idea whatever floats your goat

1 hour ago, Codaic sapperial said:

normally it holds the local form of investiture in the form of stormlight however I’m wondering if it can hold other forms of investiture as well

You can.  Just for example we know that the thrill is contained in a gemstone. 

If so then what would that mean for fabriels what would happen if you tried to power a fabriel with an alternate form of investiture

We don't know.

What about the cognitive version of people (the floating flames in Shadesmar) can you tie a sphere to a person or trap someone in a sphere 

Maybe.  We think this is what Moash did to Jes at the end of OB.

How about a seon could you trap a seon inside of a sphere 

Seons are not really different then spren.  If you went to roshar and somehow manged to get your seon there too you would get surgebinding.

mooglefrooglian

You've previously mentioned that someone bonded to a Seon would get some benefits if they went to Roshar , basically that it would be treated sort of like a Nahel bond. This implies to me that something about Roshar likes to give powers from bonds. (Hi there, Honor...)

Should this be taken to mean that spren-bond based Surgebinding won't work off-world, as it's a benefit Roshar gives from having a bond? Or would it be more specific, and mean that some of the passive benefits Radiants get (visions, Windrunner squire strengths) would be lost, but Surgebinding retained?

Mainly I'm interested in whether or not we can reach maximum Jasnah levels and have the possibility of her appearing in non-SA books. I don't think she'd be much into worldhopping if she couldn't get back with the Travel Surge...

Brandon Sanderson

Surgebinding will work off-world.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 13, 2015)

Great questions.  Welcome to the shard!

Edited by Karger

Welcome to the Shard!

Is it possible to Artificially replicate the other systems of magic Without The use of hymalergy

Yes, and Brandon has said that 'fabrial' will become the widespread term for such devices in the future, but that doesn't mean they'll all work the same way. The Southern Scadrians for example already have their own means of using the Metallic Arts in a more mechanical fashion, plus the medallions that grant allomantic and/or feruchemical powers. The machines don't use gemstones however but harmonium, while the medallions make use of F-Nicrosil to store the ability to use some other power, with that metal plus the one corresponding to the granted power being required.

Edited by Weltall

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

how do you figure that?

22 minutes ago, Karger said:

You've previously mentioned that someone bonded to a Seon would get some benefits if they went to Roshar , basically that it would be treated sort of like a Nahel bond

you right.

Questioner

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon were to travel to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

It would act very, very similarly, yes. But it would be like... it wouldn't necessarily do the exact same things. Like if you've got two radios tuned to a frequency, they won't necessarily pick up another radio frequency, or things like this. I don't know, that's a bad metaphor, I'd have to think of a better one. But it would be treated exactly the same way but it might not grant the same powers.

Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

I think one of the easier types of investiture that could be put into a gemstone would be the light from Taldain's sun on Dayside. The whole point is that it's always there, if you could fill gems with this "Sandlight" and transport it through the CR in some form, you could distribute it to the Radiants even if they figure out how to take their Spren off world, for a renewable fuel source.

45 minutes ago, Codaic sapperial said:

I always thought that the thrill was a powerful spren, not necessarily an alternative form of investiture 

Spren are made of investiture.  The ones you are most familiar with are made of Honor's Cultivation or some combination.  Voidspren and the unmade are made of Odium's.

22 hours ago, Codaic sapperial said:

So I was thinking spears to my knowledge they are the one thing in the Cosmere created with the intention to hold investiture among other things (I’ll get to spren momentarily)

No, there is also the presumably Elantrian technology Riino was using in Oathbringer.

I always thought that the thrill was a powerful spren, not necessarily an alternative form of investiture 

As mentioned, these aren't as distinct as you think. A spren is a kind of Splinter (a fragment of a Shard's Investiture) which under certain circumstances may develop sapience. Seons and skaze are both types of sapient Splinters, all spren are Splinters, the Divine Breaths that sustain the Returned are non-sapient Splinters. Splinters can be created intentionally by a Shard (the Divine Breaths for example) or unintentionally as a consequence of a Shard being Splintered by an outside force (the seons and skaze).

The Unmade are intentionally created Splinters of Odium, meaning they're literally made of his Investiture.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I think one of the easier types of investiture that could be put into a gemstone would be the light from Taldain's sun on Dayside. The whole point is that it's always there, if you could fill gems with this "Sandlight" and transport it through the CR in some form, you could distribute it to the Radiants even if they figure out how to take their Spren off world, for a renewable fuel source.

I'm not sure if you could capture it the same way that gems capture stormlight (which is more a Spiritual Realm thing) but we do know that Autonomy's Investiture is one of the easiest to access in the Cosmere and would have been another good place for Vasher to go had he been able to get to Taldain. We also know that you could use it mechanically with enough knowledge and technology. But I'm not sure that a polestone and the lichen on Taldaini sand necessarily function similarly enough that just exposing one to the light of the sun would infuse the stone.

That said, the lichen living on the sand reacts universally to kinetic Investiture so it would definitely work and Brandon has said that after the Metallic Arts, Sand Mastery is the easiest magic system to use offworld without hacks.

Edited by Weltall