Updating Navani's work

Karger

Brightlady Navani's work on the Fourth Bridge has been the highlight of my day.  That being said.  This is clearly a prototype.  How are we going to update her work?  We have not yet seen any of the armaments so we can wait on commenting on those but what can we do to improve the structure, propulsion, or safety of the vessel?

Some ideas I have had. 

• This should probably be made more aerodynamic.  This will hurt the carrying capacity but the speed will be much higher. 
  • I am not sure how I feel about a wooden structure.  How much is weight a concern?  Could we replace it with steel?
  • We need some redundancy in propulsion.  Maybe two sets of fabrials in case something happens to one?
  • Local maneuvering.  I think she has the right idea with those fans but they need to be more efficient.  The ability to turn the ship fairly quickly in combat will matter.
  • Chull power?  They need a better version of propulsion then animal muscle power.  I think for short bursts at least a lot could be done with elevated weights.  Also maybe look in to steam power?  Some kind of accelerationspren?
Edited by Karger

1. a conveyor belt could handle the necessity of disconnecting the horizontal movement to turn the chulls around. 

2. Would require more stormlight usage, but theoretically couldn't the bridge be paired with something as small as a pebble, but by adding lashings to the pebble, it would be heavy enough to lift the platform?

3. Actually potentially employing both surges could handle the issue. Use gravitation to have a pebble hold up the entire platform. Then infuse the pebble with abrasion so it can be pushed across the floor easily.

Just some thoughts

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

2. Would require more stormlight usage, but theoretically couldn't the bridge be paired with something as small as a pebble, but by adding lashings to the pebble, it would be heavy enough to lift the platform?

If you are going to use lashings it would probably just make more sense to have a Windrunner "carry" you.

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

1. a conveyor belt could handle the necessity of disconnecting the horizontal movement to turn the chulls around. 

How?

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Karger said:

If you are going to use lashings it would probably just make more sense to have a Windrunner "carry" you.

Just thought it would be more effective to have a rotation of a single windrunner infusing a pebble in a secure location than having multiple having to constantly infuse the whole platform in person. But hey was just an idea throwing it out there. Thought that was the point of the thread. Throwing out ideas that could possibly improve it. I'll leave things be then. Good luck with your thread!

How?

The chulls could continue to move forward continually on a conveyor belt and thereby they wouldn't have to stop and turn around? Not really sure of any other way to explain that.

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

The chulls could continue to move forward continually on a conveyor belt and thereby they wouldn't have to stop and turn around? Not really sure of any other way to explain that.

I don't think this would work, as best as I understood it the motion happens by literally moving the paired gemstone - they walk it across a plateau. It's not the act of walking that pushes the ship BUT the act of moving the gem across the plateau.

If you were going to use a conveyor belt you'd have to actually move along it - what you could do as an enhancement is have waterwheels powering a conveyor belt or something like that to use waterpower instead of chull power.

8 minutes ago, rjl said:

I don't think this would work, as best as I understood it the motion happens by literally moving the paired gemstone - they walk it across a plateau. It's not the act of walking that pushes the ship BUT the act of moving the gem across the plateau.

If you were going to use a conveyor belt you'd have to actually move along it - what you could do as an enhancement is have waterwheels powering a conveyor belt or something like that to use waterpower instead of chull power.

Hmmm, in which case my idea about the addition of abrasion could help a lot

54 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Just thought it would be more effective to have a rotation of a single windrunner infusing a pebble in a secure location than having multiple having to constantly infuse the whole platform in person. But hey was just an idea throwing it out there. Thought that was the point of the thread. Throwing out ideas that could possibly improve it. I'll leave things be then. Good luck with your thread!

I was not trying to shoot you down.  I am sorry if you felt that way but I do think pointing out potential problems makes sense.

49 minutes ago, rjl said:

what you could do as an enhancement is have waterwheels powering a conveyor belt or something like that to use waterpower instead of chull power.

That sounds like a good idea.  Maybe build some kind of reservoir fill it in highstorms and then let out the water at a controlled rate?  Have that make mechanical energy that pushes a conveyor belt with gemstones on it.  Probably much less labor intensive.

Edited by Karger

Well, it could certainly use some more... creativity:

1. Whitespine catapult: They spoke of having archers or rock throwers on it. But they never spoke of the tactical efficiency of bombarding your enemy with angry whitespines! Just build a catapult, and bombard Odium with whitespines. 

2. A trebuchet. Because it is the best siege engine. 

3. Axies the Collector. There is huge potential for all kinds of spren on there. He could presumably catalogue them. The guy could also scare off the Irali, who are working with Odium.

4. An A.H.L.S. Advanced Herald Locating System. 

5. Some neat statues and art of the Stormfather to make him a bit less cranky.

6. Ishikk. He seems pleasant to have hanging around. 

Gravitation Fabrials!

The Current vessel is reliant on a large amount of chulls and manpower for mobility. In addition it would only take a small group of people on the shattered planes to disrupt its horizontal movement. This means that building multiple of these vessels is a poor use of resources and would exasperate a strategic weakness (The Shattered Planes). In addition Gravitation Fabrials aren't less effective the further you are from Urithuru/Shattered Planes.

Just now, LordTheodore said:

Thats why we should hurry up and invent them

If only it where that simple.  I do hope we get some of our long awaited answers on surge fabrials but I don't think we are there yet.

Well at the very least people should be experimenting with fabrials by trapping every type of spren they can find and seeing what affect it has. Who knows what they might discover.

I was thinking that surge fabrials also used spren and these spren could be attracted by a radiant using the corresponding surge.

34 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

Use Lightweavers to make the Fourth Bridge look like a cloud. Then BOOM drop your full army of Radiants into the middle of the enemy encampment.

That is terrifying.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

That is terrifying.

hahaha, yeah. I thought of something worse than dropping your radiants. Navani said they can control elevation. You could create a stealth bomber...

Get a lightweaver to stealth the Fourth Bridge over the intended drop zone. Go up, like really far up. Then get your Lightweaver to then soulcast something (the air maybe) into a large dense object (stone) and gravity will handle the rest.

You don't even need a ship as large as the Fourth Bridge to do this. You really just need a capsule large enough for a Lightweaver, her supplies, and whatever redundancies you want -- maybe a Windrunner/Skybreaker for the gravitation surge, then it could double as extra downward lashings to increase the stone's terminal velocity. 

If they could find a way to create a spotlight like fabrial you could potentially change the name of the game. You could potentially launch operations at night and guide your radiants to the target from above. You could blind enemies also. This would make it a large target, however it could potentially be worth the risk.

1 hour ago, Nathrangking said:

If they could find a way to create a spotlight like fabrial you could potentially change the name of the game

LIGHT FABRAILS ALREADY EXIST!  We saw them at Narak.

LIGHT FABRAILS ALREADY EXIST!  We saw them at Narak.

Certainly so. However, what of something as intense as a spotlight? I may be misremembering, but I am describing is not the type of light one might read by. I mean a fabrial that gives off an intense light whose use as a reading light or regular light source might be ill advised unless you want to go blind. 

15 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

? I may be misremembering, but I am describing is not the type of light one might read by. I mean a fabrial that gives off an intense light whose use as a reading light or regular light source might be ill advised unless you want to go blind. 

They lit up a battlefield that was covered by a storm.  I think with proper lenses you could easily make a spotlight.

Just now, Karger said:

They lit up a battlefield that was covered by a storm.  I think with proper lenses you could easily make a spotlight.

Well  then glorious indeed!! This would make things interesting if implemented. (It has been too long since my last reread of WoR! Thank you @Karger for setting me straight!)